Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:26 pm

He’s come as a 3rd/4th choice forward so I’m not too worried.

Isgrove sounds like the ticket for the left wing though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:34 pm

Heard of Isgrove and sounds like he’s got something we need especially versatility,

Other lad does sound like we are scraping bottom of a not very good barrel. But perhaps he will surprise us?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:40 pm

What's happened to Miller? - I heard reports of "niggling injuries" after Crewe game, but this seems to be a bit more than niggling...not on the bench again

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:58 pm

Commentator seems to assume we're still playing a back three.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:58 pm

This Isgrove chap's not made many appearances for a 27 year old

EDIT; Nor has Gnooorahasdxvbnm,for a 28 year old
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:10 pm

Well they both looked shite to me. Is that the the basis of a money ball signing then? Utter shite but we may be able to flog them anyway?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:09 am

Isgrove looked totally gassed after 20 mins on the field. Probably another month before we see if he can make a difference or just another "cheap" signing. At least he had a few touches. All I can remember of the other fellow in his 30 mins was a free kick into the wall. Where are we finding these players who I have never heard of before?? Are these the best we can find in a time when so many are out of work?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:55 am

These are questions that phoenix should be answering rather than leaving a floundering rookie manager to take all the flak.
Iles describes him as having 'an air of mystery'. The mystery is where he's come from, what qualifies him for a big job like this.
I reread the interview he deigned to give Iles and he comes across as arrogantly dismissive, like he's doing him (and us) a favour.

'TOBIAS Phoenix would be quite content to take a backseat role in Wanderers’ success this season.'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebol ... 57902.amp/

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:09 am

Assuming we are now at our squad cap I’d still be looking for a proper centre half and if needs be I’d rip up the contract of one of the current crop to facilitate it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:26 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:09 am
Assuming we are now at our squad cap I’d still be looking for a proper centre half and if needs be I’d rip up the contract of one of the current crop to facilitate it.
Yup.

I think part of the problem is, when you look at our squad list, we count 12 Defenders...None of them look like capable of leading/organising the defence on the pitch.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:36 am

Greenidge, Taft and Delaney seems somewhat unnecessary for left footed centre halves.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:44 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:36 am
Greenidge, Taft and Delaney seems somewhat unnecessary for left footed centre halves.
I understand what you're saying but if you're playing a back three - as we machine-tooled the squad to do - then you'd want six, with three of them to be lefties. Taft is the established D4 player, Greenidge the Moneyballer and Delaney the inheritance. Trouble is Evatt doesn't seem to trust Taft, he doesn't seem to like Delaney and as for Greenidge, let's say he needs polishing...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:44 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:09 am
All I can remember of the other fellow in his 30 mins was a free kick into the wall.
I hadn't realised he was on until then. Anybody, literally anybody with the physical attributes with which to be able to kick a football could kick it straight into the centre of a defensive wall. What the feck was he hoping might happen?
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:49 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:44 am
officer_dibble wrote:
I understand what you're saying but if you're playing a back three - as we machine-tooled the squad to do - then you'd want six, with three of them to be lefties. Taft is the established D4 player, Greenidge the Moneyballer and Delaney the inheritance. Trouble is Evatt doesn't seem to trust Taft, he doesn't seem to like Delaney and as for Greenidge, let's say he needs polishing...
At least one of them should have been an experienced head - like that Edwards we had last year for example. In the quest for footballing centre halves we have forgotten the need to defend.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:13 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:49 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:44 am
officer_dibble wrote:
At least one of them should have been an experienced head - like that Edwards we had last year for example. In the quest for footballing centre halves we have forgotten the need to defend.
Liam Edwards who hadn't played a minute's league football before last season? or Jake Wright who had all the experience in the world and was still, let's say, disappointing?

Taft's played 150 league games. Worryingly, Santos has played 120. If you want more experience, we've got buckets of it in Alex Baptiste (470-odd), but he's hardly shone out either...

Like I say mate it's rearranging deckchairs. And to some extent, squaring circles: What we're asking for is someone with experience but not too much, who's wanted but not by somebody who can outpay us, who's worth money but can come on a free. Assembling a squad on free transfers is never going to be 100% successful.

What worries me more is not the playing but the coaching. Whether players have zero previous league experience (eg Gordon or White) or hundreds of games of it (eg Baptiste, Sarce and Doyle) they all look hopelessly confused, if not confusingly hopeless. That's systemic. And that's the big worry - it's not just trying on the different cheap shirts we've hurriedly grabbed out of a charity shop and discovering some of them have holes in. It's realising that we're making quality merchandise look like tat - and that we might not know what to do about it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:20 am

Yes - meant Jake Wright! Just someone of that ilk on loan. I don’t think any of the players we have are talkers at the back - they have been signed based on physical stats but we need someone more tactically astute.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:53 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:20 am
Yes - meant Jake Wright! Just someone of that ilk on loan. I don’t think any of the players we have are talkers at the back - they have been signed based on physical stats but we need someone more tactically astute.
Yeah, I get what you mean. You'd hope that Baptiste would be the savvy organiser but I get the impression he's too busy trying to stay on top of his own game. Worth noting that sometimes even enormous experience can't help when things are going against you - Lampard took the armband off Thiago Silva at half-time yesterday so he could concentrate on his own game.

But as I say, I agree we either lack an organiser at the back or they just aren't listening to him...

Maybe - just maybe - having a manager who's so top-down didactic doesn't help here. Then again, Allardyce was fairly top-down ("no short corners", "no shooting from outside the box") and his players seemed to sort themselves out. They were significantly better but so were the opposition. I think the point is they were just well drilled. It's an ugly, militaristic phrase, but there's not much point playing nice flowing football if you can't defend for shit.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:10 pm

I'm not seeing any evidence of any bugger on the pitch organising prior to danger, and a mixture of questioning/confusion after the danger. If Baptiste was cast in that role, then I'm not seeing it. I suspect the notion is if we get it right in training then that should translate into people clearly knowing what to do on the pitch. Unfortunately, nasty teams don't play to our training routines so we're all at sea. Whatever higher notions Evatt might have, this is fairly fundamental. As the commentators kept saying, we could easily have been 3/4 down at HT. It was that bad.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:10 pm
I'm not seeing any evidence of any bugger on the pitch organising prior to danger, and a mixture of questioning/confusion after the danger. If Baptiste was cast in that role, then I'm not seeing it. I suspect the notion is if we get it right in training then that should translate into people clearly knowing what to do on the pitch. Unfortunately, nasty teams don't play to our training routines so we're all at sea. Whatever higher notions Evatt might have, this is fairly fundamental. As the commentators kept saying, we could easily have been 3/4 down at HT. It was that bad.
Agreed. No leaders on the pitch. No readers of the game in the back. It’s 3 or 4 individuals rather than a unit. But that extends to the whole team. It’s not a team it’s 11 blokes doing their own thing.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:41 pm

If we are going to use Comley he needs to be allowed to just sit and destroy. The defence need that protection, but he's being asked to do this "rotation" bit and it's not his game. He's a really good breaker of play, going that gritty horrible stuff deep in midfield. You can fit him into our systemin the role, it just needs slight tweaks to how we play. Having that insurance policy would help steady the ranks a bit. The tools to fix our issues are there in the squad. Evatt just needs to be flexible.