New Manager Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18178
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:11 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:00 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:46 pm
Any ideas on how many of those Barrow regulars are out of contract?

Wouldn't surprise me if one or two pitch up here. They'll all be based locally and they know the system.
What’s the gulf like between the two leagues? Should be quite a bit but it seems like a lot of clubs are pro down there now?
Tony D says there's very little gulf. Not just pro, but 23 of the 24 were full-time last season (newly promoted Woking the exceptions). Guess that might change post-COVID...?

As to Pru's question - local press, Saturday:
https://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/1854629 ... ll-league/
Crucially, several of the key players who helped them out of the non-League wilderness had already agreed to new contracts long before the coronavirus pandemic struck. That includes joint-top scorer John Rooney, who will get his first crack at the EFL since leaving Bury in 2014, wing-back Josh Kay, striker Dior Angus, midfielder Lewis Hardcastle and goalkeeper Joel Dixon. Twenty-goal frontman Scott Quigley has entered the second year of his three-year deal, while the futures of Patrick Brough and Brad Barry had already been secured for the coming campaign when they signed on two-year contracts last summer.

The club’s retained list is expected to be announced by the end of the week, which will reveal whether the likes of Jason Taylor, Sam Hird and club captain Josh Granite will be remaining in south Cumbria. What remains to be seen is whether Barrow will move to make the loan spells of Matt Platt, Tom White, Olly Dyson or Dan Jones permanent. The arrival of Platt from Blackburn in September turned their defence into a much more cohesive unit, while White coming in two months later made their midfield the most competitive area in the squad.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26531
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:36 pm

Latest from Marc Iles:
Couple of very minor things to be sorted... But it's my understanding that if you were to keep your eye on social media tomorrow morning, an announcement is in-Evatt-able... 😉 #bwfc

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2182
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Sarf East London

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:19 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:17 pm
Sounds to me like you have to be pretty fit to get in an Evatt team.

Bye bye passengers Hobbs and Buckley
Check the age column, too. The odd thirtysomething, who presumably proved themselves, but otherwise quite sprightly.

A very heavy reliance on just three players to get the goals.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23843
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:27 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:12 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:19 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:17 pm
Sounds to me like you have to be pretty fit to get in an Evatt team.

Bye bye passengers Hobbs and Buckley
Check the age column, too. The odd thirtysomething, who presumably proved themselves, but otherwise quite sprightly.

A very heavy reliance on just three players to get the goals.
As opposed to our reliance on square root of fcuk all? :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26531
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:30 pm

We have to temper expectations here. Evatt went to Barrow and they had 4 players and he built a squad that got them mid table in his first season. The reality is that building a squad from scratch isn’t going to be easy - it won’t be Evatts ideal that’s for sure.

The_Gun
Promising
Promising
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 9:54 am

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:30 pm
We have to temper expectations here. Evatt went to Barrow and they had 4 players and he built a squad that got them mid table in his first season. The reality is that building a squad from scratch isn’t going to be easy - it won’t be Evatts ideal that’s for sure.
Not easy at all, but at least we have a few who should be decent at L2 level already contracted and hopefully a couple more who can be retained. Evatt and Phoenix are then going to have at least two months and a large pool of free agents to work with, so you'd expect that they could put a more coherent squad together than Hillcroft managed with the couple of weeks they had.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20237
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:26 pm

What do we think is a realistic target?

I agree with those who say they'd be happy if we continue to exist in a year, but that we're paying 6 figure compo for a new manager suggests the owners aren't worried about going bust, and surviving as a club can't be a sporting target.

It may need to be quickly re-evaluated but even under embargo and wage cap I still think we'll be a big pull at this level. Top 6 for me seems where we should be setting our sights.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7398
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:44 pm

I'd hope good football and top half. Play offs in the 2nd season
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18178
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:08 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:26 pm
What do we think is a realistic target?

I agree with those who say they'd be happy if we continue to exist in a year, but that we're paying 6 figure compo for a new manager suggests the owners aren't worried about going bust, and surviving as a club can't be a sporting target.

It may need to be quickly re-evaluated but even under embargo and wage cap I still think we'll be a big pull at this level. Top 6 for me seems where we should be setting our sights.
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:44 pm
I'd hope good football and top half. Play offs in the 2nd season
BWFC to-do list, chronologically:
• Good quotes combining pride and intent (good football, hard work)
• A genuinely threatening signing (eg Eoin Doyle)
• Plenty of intriguing signings
• Sensible comms from club re things like tickets (if there are any)
• A good kit, not that f**king mess we had this season
• Pre-season games display footballing intent
• Keep calm if it doesn't start well
• Team knits together, 10 games unbeaten, top half, playoffs in reach
• Strengthen in January. A big Cup game shows intent?
• Keep run going, get in playoffs?

chester white
Promising
Promising
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:23 pm
Location: Rochdale

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by chester white » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:08 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:26 pm
What do we think is a realistic target?

I agree with those who say they'd be happy if we continue to exist in a year, but that we're paying 6 figure compo for a new manager suggests the owners aren't worried about going bust, and surviving as a club can't be a sporting target.

It may need to be quickly re-evaluated but even under embargo and wage cap I still think we'll be a big pull at this level. Top 6 for me seems where we should be setting our sights.
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:44 pm
I'd hope good football and top half. Play offs in the 2nd season
BWFC to-do list, chronologically:
• Good quotes combining pride and intent (good football, hard work)
• A genuinely threatening signing (eg Eoin Doyle)
• Plenty of intriguing signings
• Sensible comms from club re things like tickets (if there are any)
• A good kit, not that f**king mess we had this season
• Pre-season games display footballing intent
• Keep calm if it doesn't start well
• Team knits together, 10 games unbeaten, top half, playoffs in reach
• Strengthen in January. A big Cup game shows intent?
• Keep run going, get in playoffs?
Done ✅
The Sherpa Van Trophy! We've won it one time!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26531
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:08 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:26 pm
What do we think is a realistic target?

I agree with those who say they'd be happy if we continue to exist in a year, but that we're paying 6 figure compo for a new manager suggests the owners aren't worried about going bust, and surviving as a club can't be a sporting target.

It may need to be quickly re-evaluated but even under embargo and wage cap I still think we'll be a big pull at this level. Top 6 for me seems where we should be setting our sights.
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:44 pm
I'd hope good football and top half. Play offs in the 2nd season
BWFC to-do list, chronologically:
• Good quotes combining pride and intent (good football, hard work)
• A genuinely threatening signing (eg Eoin Doyle)
• Plenty of intriguing signings
• Sensible comms from club re things like tickets (if there are any)
• A good kit, not that f**king mess we had this season
• Pre-season games display footballing intent
• Keep calm if it doesn't start well
• Team knits together, 10 games unbeaten, top half, playoffs in reach
• Strengthen in January. A big Cup game shows intent?
• Keep run going, get in playoffs?
Win some games. Take it from there. Win some more. Rest will sort itself out. There is a feel good factor around this appointment. A buzz that hasn’t been there a while. But it’s a long road back. And I suspect we need to show patience.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18178
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:46 pm

CODE: SELECT ALL

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18178
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:01 pm

CODE: SELECT ALL .
Evatt 800.jpg
Evatt 800.jpg (90.54 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
Head Coach. Three-year contract.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/july/i ... ead-coach/

Evatt:
Bolton Wanderers is a fantastic football club with an incredible history and fanbase and this is a really exciting opportunity for us all. Hopefully I can bring a brand and an identity that people will enjoy watching – attacking and scoring goals is what we all want to see. We want to be challenging and competing for promotion at the top of the division and to see a packed University of Bolton Stadium. The community and town is also very important to me. We will get out there and engage with them and make them proud of Bolton Wanderers.
Head of Football Operations Tobias Phoenix:
We are delighted to welcome Ian to Bolton Wanderers Football Club and we are over the moon to get our man. We had a very clear idea of how we wanted to shape the future of this fantastic football club on and off the grass and Ian epitomises everything we wanted from a Head Coach. We are all excited to get to work in preparation for the new season.
Chairman Sharon Brittan:
We are absolutely thrilled to bring Ian on board. I am certain that his style of football will keep us all entertained and he is very enthusiastic about his opportunity to represent the Club in the town and community. We have followed a thorough process in identifying Ian as the right person to take us forward on the next stage of our journey and can’t wait for it to get started.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23843
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:08 pm

Someone needs to change the thread title to "New Head Coach Thread"....Managers are so yesterday.

I reckon three years is now "for better or worse"....

Bertie Wooster
Promising
Promising
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:16 pm

Excellent news, its good that the club have given him a 3 year contract, they like most of the fans seem to be bought into him & his football philosophy.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26531
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:08 pm
Someone needs to change the thread title to "New Head Coach Thread"....Managers are so yesterday.

I reckon three years is now "for better or worse"....
I think with a DoF a head coach title makes more sense - a manager and DoF becomes confusing really - DoF needs responsibility for some things which would be in a traditional managerial role. Obviously job titles aren’t relevant compared to job descriptions which aren’t published but I guess it’s for reasons of clarity.

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8995
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:19 pm

Club video has him as Bolton Manager 🤣
Does anyone know what his title is?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26531
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:20 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:19 pm
Club video has him as Bolton Manager 🤣
Does anyone know what his title is?
Says head coach on video I’m seeing....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36136
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:30 pm

I have this feeling which I can only best describe as a 'nervous excitement'. It's a feeling I haven't felt since we appointed Rioch.

Now then - what are the season ticket arrangements? :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18178
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:33 pm

Two-year contractual embargo on signing Barrow players. Presumably not those who lapse out of contract.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests