Season 20-21

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Season 20-21

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:15 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:07 pm
Ha! We’re Gonna go through it all again......

Jeez I hope we’re mid table...
I dunno. New grounds ... 😭😭

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:23 pm

Will be good to win some games again! 😂

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:13 pm

We'd get an additional 31 point on a ppg basis. That'd be like P25 W10 D1 L14...RESULT. BIGLY.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:18 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:45 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:29 pm
Blimey. Cheers, mate. That's a good evening's worth of de Pfeffel's House Arrest reading right there. :D
I wouldn't build an evening around it. :D

TL,DR: as far as I can see, they haven't decided - which would seem utterly fkn stupid and almost designed to leave them open to Tranmere-style toy-depramming.

Maybe they all just wanted to get out of the room but surely it wouldn't have taken long for one more vote to seal unweighted PPG as the default, just on the minor off-chance that disease or, I dunno, war ever happened again.

Football has such a toxic combo of arrogance and shortsightedness.
Confirmation from The Athletic: "The EFL is also yet to ask its clubs to vote on how a curtailed season would be decided."

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:36 am

Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:18 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Blimey. Cheers, mate. That's a good evening's worth of de Pfeffel's House Arrest reading right there. :D

TL,DR: as far as I can see, they haven't decided - which would seem utterly fkn stupid and almost designed to leave them open to Tranmere-style toy-depramming.

Maybe they all just wanted to get out of the room but surely it wouldn't have taken long for one more vote to seal unweighted PPG as the default, just on the minor off-chance that disease or, I dunno, war ever happened again.

Confirmation from The Athletic: "The EFL is also yet to ask its clubs to vote on how a curtailed season would be decided."
I don't know which is currently causing me to roll my eyes the most. This, or the fact that 'CHIEF' (HMRC's system for raising Export Declarations) can't cope with the volume of bookings being added into it, meaning we now have lengthy queues forming at all UK ports. and goods for export are stuck in the UK.

If only professional people, put in place to sort this sort of thing out well in advance had actually had enough time. :roll:

(Sorry for fairly irrelevant reference ;) )
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:35 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:36 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I don't know which is currently causing me to roll my eyes the most. This, or the fact that 'CHIEF' (HMRC's system for raising Export Declarations) can't cope with the volume of bookings being added into it, meaning we now have lengthy queues forming at all UK ports. and goods for export are stuck in the UK.

If only professional people, put in place to sort this sort of thing out well in advance had actually had enough time. :roll:

Right there with you buddy. With the occasional diversion into other topics, I spent most of 2020 writing about the news and even apart from the headline shitshows (you know the ones) the impression I got was of many many "leaders" in many many different places who couldn't find their arse with a map and a torch. As the old WWI phrase has it: led by donkeys (although I've dropped off the original first word as I'm not sure how many lions there are about nowadays). The only coping mechanisms I found were (1) I can only change the things I can change, and (2) this too shall pass.

If you want to make it relevant to BWFC, which is fair enough, feel free to throw in a reference to whether or not Ian Evatt knows what he's doing... :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:55 am

Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:35 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:36 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Right there with you buddy. With the occasional diversion into other topics, I spent most of 2020 writing about the news and even apart from the headline shitshows (you know the ones) the impression I got was of many many "leaders" in many many different places who couldn't find their arse with a map and a torch. As the old WWI phrase has it: led by donkeys (although I've dropped off the original first word as I'm not sure how many lions there are about nowadays). The only coping mechanisms I found were (1) I can only change the things I can change, and (2) this too shall pass.

If you want to make it relevant to BWFC, which is fair enough, feel free to throw in a reference to whether or not Ian Evatt knows what he's doing... :D
I shall be along to ask Ian Evatt for his take on 'Accumulation of Origin' and what measurements he thinks should be used when applying it to export duties under the terms of de Pfeffel's Emperor's new clothes 'deal' shortly.

He'll know as much as anyone else. :D

(And thanks for the mechanisms. You're spot on ;) )
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:35 pm

Two Wanderers players test positive.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2021/januar ... t-results/
Bolton Wanderers Football Club can confirm the results from the mandatory COVID-19 testing that took place recently for EFL clubs.

The Club can confirm that two players tested positive during the testing and immediately went into self-isolation in accordance with the protocols.

We wish those players a full and speedy recovery.
They are among 112 staff/players testing positive in this week's round of 3507 tests at 66 EFL clubs. That's a 3.19% rate of what we must with hideous irony call "positivity".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:43 pm

I'm at a point where I have to say I don't really know or understand why football is continuing. It was reported that inspite of the entire Villa first team and coaching staff being in isolation their FA Cup tie with Villa will go ahead tonight - with Villa's teenagers playing the fixture. How is that even close to preserving integrity?

Bolton have two players out. Other teams have more.

But aside from the sport itself - the country is in lockdown the virus is worse than ever before and I just don't see why kids can't go to school but 11 blokes who necessarily have a lot of contacts (more than a primary school when you expand to coaching staff and club staff and opposition) can boot a ball round a pitch. Especially given that this new strain is clearly transmissable with no actual contact and in the sorts of environments professional sports players will be in. There is no protective bubbling as per international cricket whereby they are doing everything to keep it safe. Football players getting it and passing it on is as bad as anyone else. They have kids, families, elderly relatives etc....

I don't really understand either from a sporting integrity view or from a controlling the virus point of view why it is continuing. Or allowed to continue. I'd have thought a few weeks break, a new testing regime and perhaps forcing pro players to isolate more strictly and you could get it back on. But it does need sorting.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:43 pm
I'm at a point where I have to say I don't really know or understand why football is continuing. It was reported that inspite of the entire Villa first team and coaching staff being in isolation their FA Cup tie with Villa will go ahead tonight - with Villa's teenagers playing the fixture. How is that even close to preserving integrity?

But aside from the sport itself - the country is in lockdown the virus is worse than ever before and I just don't see why kids can't go to school but 11 blokes who necessarily have a lot of contacts (more than a primary school when you expand to coaching staff and club staff and opposition) can boot a ball round a pitch. Especially given that this new strain is clearly transmissable with no actual contact and in the sorts of environments professional sports players will be in. There is no protective bubbling as per international cricket whereby they are doing everything to keep it safe. Football players getting it and passing it on is as bad as anyone else. They have kids, families, elderly relatives etc....

I don't really understand either from a sporting integrity view or from a controlling the virus point of view why it is continuing. Or allowed to continue. I'd have thought a few weeks break, a new testing regime and perhaps forcing pro players to isolate more strictly and you could get it back on. But it does need sorting.
Hard to disagree. Some would cite the mental health benefits of Having Something To Watch (from the sofa) but it feels a lot like exceptionalism rather than we're-in-it-together.

Football folk will (and do) say that pausing could cause competition chaos, but frankly that's way down the priority list – and they had their sodding chance to set protocols but appear not to have learned from last spring. More worrying may be the prospect of clubs going under if there's nothing to televise or transmit.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:50 pm

I think that’s it - it’s progressing because the fall out from having nothing would be players furloughed and clubs going under with a predictable backlash against any form of public bailout.

The FA Cup situation this weekend is ludicrous, no method to some ties being on and some off.

Once again football appears to be a law unto itself.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:59 pm

Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:43 pm

Hard to disagree. Some would cite the mental health benefits of Having Something To Watch (from the sofa) but it feels a lot like exceptionalism rather than we're-in-it-together.

Football folk will (and do) say that pausing could cause competition chaos, but frankly that's way down the priority list – and they had their sodding chance to set protocols but appear not to have learned from last spring. More worrying may be the prospect of clubs going under if there's nothing to televise or transmit.
I think the mental health benefits are probably somewhat overplayed and regardless I think that argument flew for resumption of football where the initial strain could be controlled to some extent. But now the country is facing an entirely different prospect where hospitals (during the first phase came close to but weren't overwhelmed) now absolutely are overwhelmed and measures to control it need to be stricter than the first time.

The football finance thing as you say is all very depressing but like you say the season should have contingency plans in place. I'm not really arguing for a long stop more a few weeks to re-asses identify cases and put something more robust in place suitable for the new challenge of this strain. Football is behaving as it did in September still, but that was a very different world.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:04 pm

Iles reports the latest COVID-19 tests show clean bill of health at Bolton - the two who were previously isolated are already back with the squad.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:20 am

Premier League shareholders’ (ie clubs”) meeting tomorrow and they’re expected to vote in a mechanism for early season closing if need be.

“ The clubs are also expected to vote on a plan in the event of the season having to be curtailed. It is likely that they will vote for a points-per-game system, as long as 75 per cent of the season has been completed — 29 matches.” - The Times

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:34 pm

PA Sport journo Jonathan Veal tweets thusly:

"Madness in the National League. Cancellation of season looking more and more likely because the Govt have moved goalposts on funding, from grants to loans. Govt would pay more to clubs in furlough if season was cancelled than NL are asking for in grants. Board meeting tomorrow."

That's the division below us. True, it's a bigger psychological leap than one division, and EFL payments will be different, but it does feel like the walls are closing in.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:27 pm

It also has knock on effects for what football players can get - we had a couple out on loan didn’t we? Plus others we tried to loan - Sonny Graham is one that’s gone backwards without football. Gonna be a lot of players on trial again this summer.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:05 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:27 pm
It also has knock on effects for what football players can get - we had a couple out on loan didn’t we? Plus others we tried to loan - Sonny Graham is one that’s gone backwards without football. Gonna be a lot of players on trial again this summer.
This is very true. (Well, I dunno about Sonny, he might have turned into Beckenbauer for all I know, but the rest seems reasonable :D )

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:17 pm

Quite right, I’m basing my opinion on the fact I haven’t seen him, when he was in and around lost squads (in the league above!) last season. He may well be so good he’s refusing to lower himself!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:30 pm

We're Real Madrid in training, it's a high bar for the lad.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:49 am

Liam Gordon’s lot speaking truth to power