Season 20-21

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Season 20-21

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:51 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:14 pm
Our fearless leader / bin-bag full of custard [delete to taste] addresses the nation at 8pm tonight.

Apart from inevitably saying "alas" at least once, and telling us how deeply sorry he is, I suspect we may hear him bring the curtain down again.

Good luck everybody, and stay safe.
Errr....

We are staying up, we are staying up!"

?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:12 pm

Our fearless leader / bin-bag full of custard [delete to taste] addresses the nation at 8pm tonight.

Apart from inevitably saying "alas" at least once, and telling us how deeply sorry he is, I suspect we may hear him bring the curtain down again.

What are the rules re football season? My guess is EFL (at least) will stop and my guess is you could lose 3 months plus at least. Did they put anything in place for ending season early if needed?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:12 pm

What are the rules re football season? My guess is EFL (at least) will stop and my guess is you could lose 3 months plus at least. Did they put anything in place for ending season early if needed?
Not sure mate - will try to find out but with All This going on I'm a bit busy today :?

This might help https://twitter.com/TheFootballLaw/stat ... 5616105474

There's some saying pro sport will continue, I guess that's the old "bread and circuses" Juvenal notion

We'll find out in a bit

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:57 pm

Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:45 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:12 pm

Not sure mate - will try to find out but with All This going on I'm a bit busy today :?

This might help https://twitter.com/TheFootballLaw/stat ... 5616105474

There's some saying pro sport will continue, I guess that's the old "bread and circuses" Juvenal notion

We'll find out in a bit
Yeah Scotland (who are usually tougher than England with rules) haven't canned Pro Sport so I'm guessing it won't be banned. I just note Rochdale's chairman stating its inevitable in his view the EFL (at least) will need a break due to number of cases within sport and rising.

So I don't think the govt will stop it, more that with the situation looking grim the lower leagues especially may need to stop.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:00 pm

It'll be Tier 4 with schools closed. You heard it here first.

Sport will go on.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:04 pm

Amount of stories/photos of footballers lording it up with prostitute parties it seems a bit unfair that they don’t take a hit like the rest of us! The c*nts should be forced to train whilst home schooling!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:12 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:04 pm
Amount of stories/photos of footballers lording it up with prostitute parties it seems a bit unfair that they don’t take a hit like the rest of us! The c*nts should be forced to train whilst home schooling!
Would make the game more interesting. "The referee has ordered the corner to be retaken as Gilks had to show his child how to use google classroom again"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:21 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:00 pm

Sport will go on.
Yeah sport won’t be banned but more a question with rapidly rising cases whether lower leagues can really continue. Plenty suggesting not.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:21 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sport will go on.
Yeah sport won’t be banned but more a question with rapidly rising cases whether lower leagues can really continue. Plenty suggesting not.
Seems to be the mood music, aye. A few months ago it felt like the return of football would be a boost. Now it feels faintly like taking the piss, and leagues are falling apart under the protocol. A break might be for the best.

Speaking of which, BWFCi old chum, I can't be arsed looking up the EFL's what-ifs. Just done six straight working days (after doing 24/25/26 as well) so frankly I'm off for a lie down. If anything does happen I'll look it up, but I'm too tired r.n. and I'm sure it'll emerge anyway.

Peace out and take care, dudes and dudesses. If you like, play a drinking/eating game - imbibe mightily every time our PM says "alas", "dreadful", "no one wants to be in this position", "invidious", "variant", "tier", "brave", "sacrifice" and/or "tunnel".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:52 pm

Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:21 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sport will go on.
Seems to be the mood music, aye. A few months ago it felt like the return of football would be a boost. Now it feels faintly like taking the piss, and leagues are falling apart under the protocol. A break might be for the best.

Speaking of which, BWFCi old chum, I can't be arsed looking up the EFL's what-ifs. Just done six straight working days (after doing 24/25/26 as well) so frankly I'm off for a lie down. If anything does happen I'll look it up, but I'm too tired r.n. and I'm sure it'll emerge anyway.

Peace out and take care, dudes and dudesses. If you like, play a drinking/eating game - imbibe mightily every time our PM says "alas", "dreadful", "no one wants to be in this position", "invidious", "variant", "tier", "brave", "sacrifice" and/or "tunnel".
I can’t even contemplate watching the Cnut at 8pm or any other time as it just makes me too depressed seeing this complete charlatan at a time the country is crying out for some proper leadership. I think I could cope a lot better with the awful situation if we weren’t literally led by donkeys. But we are.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:58 pm

I could cope with the suspension of football if it meant Tranmere were relegated again!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:42 pm

Elite (insert joke here) sports continue.

https://twitter.com/thefootballlaw/stat ... 5625814017

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:13 pm

I'd welcome us starting the new year with a good run of results for obvious reasons, but also because if there was to be another early curtailment to the footballing season, it makes me ever so slightly concerned that we're currently just six points above the relegation zone.

I think we'll probably be fine, not least because, for one, there are quite a few league places between where we are and second bottom, and I have a weird feeling we might just be about finally "click", but you never know.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:01 am

I can see the season not being complete...so that late charge to the playoffs needs to begin a bit earlier in my opinion...realistically making sure we have enough points to not be dragged into a relegation debate is my hope.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:51 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:01 am
I can see the season not being complete...so that late charge to the playoffs needs to begin a bit earlier in my opinion...realistically making sure we have enough points to not be dragged into a relegation debate is my hope.
Perhaps one for DSB and his encyclopedic knowledge of such matters, but do we know how the formula works, set out for calculating finishing points (thus places) in the event of the season not finishing?

I seem to recall from last season that it wasn't as simple as crude averages, but then I don't remember hearing of the Pools Panel getting dragged into it either.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:25 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:51 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:01 am
Perhaps one for DSB and his encyclopedic knowledge of such matters, but do we know how the formula works, set out for calculating finishing points (thus places) in the event of the season not finishing?

I seem to recall from last season that it wasn't as simple as crude averages, but then I don't remember hearing of the Pools Panel getting dragged into it either.
In the end, they used unweighted points per game iirc...There were a couple of proposals (one from the bin-dippers) to apply some sort of weighting but these were rejected.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:23 am

At an EGM on 9 June, the EFL clubs voted to go with unweighted points and to retain promotion/relegation.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/june/efl- ... l-meeting/

What they don't seem to have done, as far as I can see, is make any decision about If This Happens Again. The EFL's rules are publicly browsable in mind-numbing depth at https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ef ... egulations - feel free to pick through.

I've looked at https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ef ... he-league/ Section 9 (determining of league positions) and as far as I can see it makes no mention of season cancellation what-ifs.

(Although I did learn that in the normal run of things, after points, GD & goals scored, positional placement is then decided by head-to-head record, then number of wins, then goals in away games, then disciplinary record.)

Some other bits I found along the way:

Guardian, 6 Jan
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... oronavirus
Representatives from the Premier League, EFL and National League met the sports minister, Oliver Dowden, on Monday to discuss the recent spate of coronavirus cases and the financial impact on the game. However, sources said it was a routine meeting and there are no plans to suspend elite sport.

EFL, 31 December
https://www.efl.com/news/2020/december/ ... cols-faqs/
Will the EFL consider enforcing a ‘Circuit Breaker’ and suspend fixtures for a period of time to combat a rise in Covid infections?

There are no plans to introduce so called ‘circuit breaker’ to the league competition either on a divisional or league-wide basis. We have always remained committed to delivering matches as long as it is safe to do so and have implemented stringent protocols at Clubs to help mitigate against the spread of infection.

These are regularly reviewed and updated by our medical advisors and have recently been further strengthened in conjunction with the Clubs.

Football has played an important role during the pandemic, both in respect of supporting local communities and individuals’ mental health. We all want matches to continue as long as it is safe, which has been the approach from the outset.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:29 pm

Blimey. Cheers, mate. That's a good evening's worth of de Pfeffel's House Arrest reading right there. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:45 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:29 pm
Blimey. Cheers, mate. That's a good evening's worth of de Pfeffel's House Arrest reading right there. :D
I wouldn't build an evening around it. :D

TL,DR: as far as I can see, they haven't decided - which would seem utterly fkn stupid and almost designed to leave them open to Tranmere-style toy-depramming.

Maybe they all just wanted to get out of the room but surely it wouldn't have taken long for one more vote to seal unweighted PPG as the default, just on the minor off-chance that disease or, I dunno, war ever happened again.

Football has such a toxic combo of arrogance and shortsightedness.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:07 pm

Ha! We’re Gonna go through it all again......

Jeez I hope we’re mid table...