BWFC Squad 20'-21'

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: BWFC Squad 20'-21'

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:24 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:23 am
Has Bunney left?
Bunney was/is out of contract and no extension has been announced. It was widely expected he would stay if Hill did but those days are gone. However, it has been reported that he did train with us at least once last week, so it’s possible that was effectively a trial. At the same time last week his name and picture were still on the official site, but that’s thin evidence and he’s since been removed.
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:23 am
I'd have Edwards ahead of Brockbank ^, Politic could be played just off Doyle (in the hole, no10, false no9 etc etc) or does Evatt prefer a proper old fashioned strike partnership ala Walker and McGinlay?
Edwards/Brockbank is a close one - I did originally have Edwards in purely on an age basis but (1) I thought that might upset the “he’s one of our own” brigade and (2) Harry’s right-footed so would be a better balance for the two lefties.

As for up front, the indications are that Evatt prefers a strike pairing *and* a No.10 in his 3-4-1-2. I would therefore expect one or two more striker acquisitions, if not to the scale of Doyle - although I notice last year’s second D4 top scorer Nicky Maynard is out of contract... ;-)

I agree that Dennis could play at 10 but I imagine Crawford is first choice there, ahead of a central midfield pairing of Sarce and Comley. This is somewhat unlucky for Politic and Darcy, our two brightest young hopes, in that they tend to best suit the wide roles in a 4-2-3-1; personally I don’t think either is a wingback.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:41 am

Edwards very much looked the calming presence at the side of Zouma in the early days last season. I can barely remember him playing towards the end of the season though.

Agree re the wing backs. A tricky position and I'm not sure we've any natural ones in the squad.

If it's two up top we could do a hell of a lot worse than Maynard. I've always liked him
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:30 am

On the keepers, I think BWFCi massively underestimates the importance. We're not going to get an Ederson, that man is a freak.

But everything Evatt has talked about in detail is about breaking the press, the most important pass the we need is the 35 yard 45° chip to the wing backs high and wide, and then the one pinged in to the striker's chest if they have gone high.

It won't be all of the time against all teams, loads will be happy to sit in and let us walk goalkicks out. But it's massive. We can't be having a keeper who is happy to get in between the white lines more often than not.

I'm pretty hopeful though that it won't be that hard to find. It isn't like for the top teams where everyone is after the same. There won't be as much of a premium on it down here and most teams won't give a stuff.

The formation will be interesting. Evatt started with a 433 at Barrow before ditching it for the 3412. It sounds from the Taft interview like he's set on 3 at the back but I doubt he's an idealist on shape and wouldn't be surprised to see yer modern 343 (which is only a slight variation of emphasis on the 433).

Politic looks like a winger but he's young, and his confidence and willingness to shoot means you could see them playing as a 10 and maybe ever up top.

Darcy has played wide but that looked more to be like "protecting" a kid by playing him wide. He's a central midfielder and will end up there full time IMO (he played there plenty last year too).

The probably leaves us with 3 players (albeit two "senior" kids) who's best position is in that hole.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:21 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:30 am
The formation will be interesting. Evatt started with a 433 at Barrow before ditching it for the 3412. It sounds from the Taft interview like he's set on 3 at the back but I doubt he's an idealist on shape and wouldn't be surprised to see yer modern 343 (which is only a slight variation of emphasis on the 433).
Interesting as ever, cheers. Yeah I can see 3-4-3 being a back-up option if the personnel tip that way; although it's worth noting how relatively clean the slate is for Evatt, who can build for the formation(s) he desires, likesay two of his most promising inherited players might suit that wide-attacker role. But then we get to the question of whether Doyle is at his best without a partner? I don't know one way or the other, but I'm sure I've seen him describe himself as a "fox in the box" so it would place big tactical demands on the two wide attackers in a 3-4-3.
Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:30 am
Politic looks like a winger but he's young, and his confidence and willingness to shoot means you could see them playing as a 10 and maybe ever up top.

Darcy has played wide but that looked more to be like "protecting" a kid by playing him wide. He's a central midfielder and will end up there full time IMO (he played there plenty last year too).

The probably leaves us with 3 players (albeit two "senior" kids) who's best position is in that hole.
I can see Politic as a 10 but not (yet) up top - I'm not convinced of his play with his back to goal. Facing the right way he has the confidence to shoot from anywhere, arguably too much so, but I've not (yet) seen much to suggest he'd be good ahead of the play. He's got ability but he's also got plenty to learn, so the next stage of his development might decide his career path. It's certainly exciting to watch.

When you say you see Darcy central do you mean as a 'proper' central midfielder in the 4 of the 3-4-1-2, or in the hole as the 1? Could be either I guess - there's also no saying we couldn't play Crawford a bit deeper in a game we expect to dominate, although do we then drop Sarce or Comley?

Either way, at the moment Ronan is IMO currently our fourth-choice central midfielder at best. And that's OK - he's a teenager with 14 starts so far. As with Politic, it'll be exciting to see how he develops – and for me, I'd say they're worth the embargo-enforced "squad berth" for their potential, whereas the slightly younger lads (Alexander, Senior, Graham, King's Arms, Thomason) might need another year in development or possibly a well-chosen local loan.

It's a pity for them that we're doubly restricted: like all EFL clubs we're forbidden from blooding too many at once in the EFL Trophy, and unlike non-embargoed clubs we can't freely give them the odd late runout for experience unless we're willing to sacrifice a place under the 23-man limit.

We as fans might also have to temper our expectations a bit - after a flood of kids last season, some far readier for the step than other poor buggers, we'll see far fewer pimply faces out there this season. Not that I'm expecting Evatt to hire Dad's Army - given our his signings so far have had a pleasing range to them considering the restrictions: 32 (Doyle), 28 (Crawford & Sarce), 26 (Taft) and 24 (Comley). I'd expect the younger end, of big-Academy rejects, to come later in the summer after assessing their options - the top two divisions are way behind our preparation curve.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:56 pm

I expect dramatic improvement of Politic and Darcy under Evatt. They may become first choice midfield/attackers in the team much earlier than we may think at this level. Good talents.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:39 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:21 pm
Interesting as ever, cheers. Yeah I can see 3-4-3 being a back-up option if the personnel tip that way; although it's worth noting how relatively clean the slate is for Evatt, who can build for the formation(s) he desires, likesay two of his most promising inherited players might suit that wide-attacker role. But then we get to the question of whether Doyle is at his best without a partner? I don't know one way or the other, but I'm sure I've seen him describe himself as a "fox in the box" so it would place big tactical demands on the two wide attackers in a 3-4-3.
The 343 is probably more versatile (being only a hop, skip and a jump from your 433 with slightly diffferent emphasis). But from what I've heard of Doyle it sounds like he's a Le Fondre type who will need a partner. And if we're picking our system based on whether it fits Doyle or Politic I have a good idea where it will go.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:21 pm
I can see Politic as a 10 but not (yet) up top - I'm not convinced of his play with his back to goal. Facing the right way he has the confidence to shoot from anywhere, arguably too much so, but I've not (yet) seen much to suggest he'd be good ahead of the play. He's got ability but he's also got plenty to learn, so the next stage of his development might decide his career path. It's certainly exciting to watch.

When you say you see Darcy central do you mean as a 'proper' central midfielder in the 4 of the 3-4-1-2, or in the hole as the 1? Could be either I guess - there's also no saying we couldn't play Crawford a bit deeper in a game we expect to dominate, although do we then drop Sarce or Comley?

Either way, at the moment Ronan is IMO currently our fourth-choice central midfielder at best. And that's OK - he's a teenager with 14 starts so far. As with Politic, it'll be exciting to see how he develops – and for me, I'd say they're worth the embargo-enforced "squad berth" for their potential, whereas the slightly younger lads (Alexander, Senior, Graham, King's Arms, Thomason) might need another year in development or possibly a well-chosen local loan.

It's a pity for them that we're doubly restricted: like all EFL clubs we're forbidden from blooding too many at once in the EFL Trophy, and unlike non-embargoed clubs we can't freely give them the odd late runout for experience unless we're willing to sacrifice a place under the 23-man limit.

We as fans might also have to temper our expectations a bit - after a flood of kids last season, some far readier for the step than other poor buggers, we'll see far fewer pimply faces out there this season. Not that I'm expecting Evatt to hire Dad's Army - given our his signings so far have had a pleasing range to them considering the restrictions: 32 (Doyle), 28 (Crawford & Sarce), 26 (Taft) and 24 (Comley). I'd expect the younger end, of big-Academy rejects, to come later in the summer after assessing their options - the top two divisions are way behind our preparation curve.
That it looks like 3412, then wingers are the obvious fall guys which means Denis is going to have to adapt.

I do think we're likely to see a lot of fluidity in the final third though. Evatt has talked a lot about both patterns of play and his admiration for Guardiola. City are often fluid in their front 5 about starting positions, but there are lots of trigger points where there has to be a certain run from a certain area (without it mattering too much who it is).

The two most obvious I think are the cross field ball to the winger where you'll see someone (usually De Bruyne or Silva) busting a gut to underlap behind the fullback of the wingers first or second touch. The other is when the fullbacks decide not to cross from high up the pitch and come back into midfield, someone will make a run in behind wide on both sides off their second touch (and then I guess the third is that once that ball is played in behind someone from the opposite side breaks their neck to get betweent he posts - that's Raheem Sterling's description of Guardiola's tactical masterclss with him re: scoring more goals, get between the posts). It doesn't matter whether it's Sterling, Aguero, Mahrez, Jesus, De Bruyne they swap positions but they all know the triggers patterns and runs inside out.

That all has to be tempered by us being in the 4th tier, possibly playing on bogs, not quite having a De Bruyne and as importantly often coming up against teams who having got it off you 25 passes in will just turn you back around knocking it in over the top (and worth remembering Jamie Vardy's Leicester murdered City in Guardiola's first season doing just that and ended up with him going shopping for 4 new full backs).

That's a roundabout way of saying I think while Evatt has "position specific" ideas of what he wants from each position, I'm not sure they're going to be your classic attributes for say a #9. Interesting to see where Denis fits in.

On Darcy I only saw a couple of games, so it's hard to say but I would't be surprised to see him play either in the hole or as one of the deeper 2 (albeit next to someone much more solid). He looked better to me further forward but he was tenancious and seemed to press well. He looks proper to me though. I totally agree that him being about 4th choice central midfielder (for 3 spots) at the start of the season is about perfect. Don't want to have to rely on him every week (though at his age Kevin Nolan played 35 games in the Prem and scored 8 goals), but he should be getting plenty game time.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:28 pm

Now with an added shade of White...

GK: Matty Alexander (18)

DEF: George Taft (26), Ryan Delaney (23), Liam Edwards (23), Harry Brockbank (21), Adam Senior (18)

MID: Ali Crawford (28), Antoni Sarcevic (28), Brandon Comley (24), Tom White (23), Dennis Politic 20), Ronan Darcy (19), Sonny Graham (18), Callum King-Harmes (18), George Thomason (18)

ATT: Eoin Doyle (32), Mo Faal (23)

And in line-ups, with shadow XI in blue...

........................ Eoin Doyle - ?Centre-forward? .......................
........................ Mo Faal - ?Centre-forward? ........................

.................................... Ali Crawford .................................
.................................... Dennis Politic .................................

?Left wingback? - Antoni Sarcevic - Brandon Comley - ?Right wIngback?
?Left wingback? - Ronan Darcy - Tom White - ?Right wIngback?

............. George Taft - Ryan Delaney - Harry Brockbank ................
............. Liam Edwards - ?Centre-back? - ?Centre-back? ................

.................................... ?Goalkeeper? ...................................
.................................... ?Goalkeeper? ...................................

Academy lads to fill in if necessary: Matty Alexander (GK), Adam Senior (CB), Sonny Graham (CM), Callum King-Harmes (CM), George Thomason (CM)

kfaille
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kfaille » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:42 am

Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:28 pm
Now with an added shade of White...

DEF: George Taft (26), Ryan Delaney (23), Liam Edwards (23), Harry Brockbank (21), Adam Senior (18)

MID: Ali Crawford (28), Antoni Sarcevic (28), Brandon Comley (24), Tom White (23), Dennis Politic 20), Ronan Darcy (19), Sonny Graham (18), Callum King-Harmes (18), George Thomason (18)

And in line-ups, with shadow XI in blue...

.................................... Ali Crawford .................................
.................................... Dennis Politic .................................

?Left wingback? - Antoni Sarcevic - Brandon Comley - ?Right wIngback?

Academy lads to fill in if necessary: Matty Alexander (GK), Adam Senior (CB), Sonny Graham (CM), Callum King-Harmes (CM), George Thomason (CM)
Updating now mate thank you!!! Great info!
BWFC Fan since 2002, from Santiago, Chile.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:45 pm

WB: Liam Gordon (21)

MID: Ali Crawford (29), Antoni Sarcevic (28), Brandon Comley (24), Tom White (23), Dennis Politic 20), Ronan Darcy (19), Sonny Graham (18), Callum King-Harmes (18), George Thomason (18)

And in line-ups, with shadow XI in blue. (I've put Flash in the first team, but I wouldn't be surprised if we also sign a more experienced left wingback.)

Liam Gordon - Antoni Sarcevic - Brandon Comley - ?Right wIngback?

kfaille
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kfaille » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:29 am

We surely need some more players! Senior players I mean...

But looking good for now!!!! Thanks for the update mate
BWFC Fan since 2002, from Santiago, Chile.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:23 am

Big years for Brockbank and Edwards I think. Hit the ground running or they will end up shipped out.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:26 am

Do we know if Edwards is injured? Doesn't seem to have played in that friendly.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:28 am

Presumably not back to fitness from the Broken knee cap?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:14 am

Sounds like plan is to loan out some of the young professionals. Love this comment from Evatt - clearly he's a pragmatist and realist and not a dreamer. Which is good.
“Come the start of the season with the impending salary caps we can only probably carry 21 or 22 players, so inevitably there will be some who go out and get their first-team football elsewhere.

“But that definitely doesn’t mean they are no longer in my plans now, or in the future, it’s just important for young lads to go out there and get some experience, not just training all the time.

“They need to go out and get used to men’s football and what it means to win on a Saturday.”

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:03 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:14 am
Sounds like plan is to loan out some of the young professionals. Love this comment from Evatt - clearly he's a pragmatist and realist and not a dreamer. Which is good.
“Come the start of the season with the impending salary caps we can only probably carry 21 or 22 players, so inevitably there will be some who go out and get their first-team football elsewhere.

“But that definitely doesn’t mean they are no longer in my plans now, or in the future, it’s just important for young lads to go out there and get some experience, not just training all the time.

“They need to go out and get used to men’s football and what it means to win on a Saturday.”
Senior, Graham, King-Harmes, Thomason and perhaps Faal are all likely to be shipped out I'd say. Beyond that I would say we will need everyone else to make up numbers.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:14 am

Maybe Faal can stay as fourth striker if Evatt thinks he’s up to it.

Interesting to hear Evatt say we might have to stop at 21 or 22 players because of salary cap. Implies that we have pushed the boat out a fair bit on one or two - or maybe a wee bit on a few - but it would also free up a space or two for the kids to fill in if that’s deemed better for us and them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:52 am

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:03 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:14 am

Senior, Graham, King-Harmes, Thomason and perhaps Faal are all likely to be shipped out I'd say. Beyond that I would say we will need everyone else to make up numbers.
I'd have thought Faal will be around given his age - he's played a fair amount of football too.

Given the midfield competition Graham might be a good candidate and King-Harmes. We also seem to have a fair few centre backs lined up so guess Senior and Brockbank might be candidates to go and get some experience first half of the season. Possibly Edwards too - though will depend on fitness and hes at point he should be challenging. Additionally - I'm unsure where Politic fits into this 3-5-2 system - I note he was played at wing back and in midfield - so guess it depends on Evatt's thinking.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:57 am

I suspect Politic will end up as a 10, whether here or elsewhere. I’d peg him as Crawford’s understudy. But it’s good to see Evatt considering him in a couple of different positions, even if for now it’s just filling spaces with bodies and I suspect the longer plan is different.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:58 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:28 am
Presumably not back to fitness from the Broken knee cap?
Christ. Feels like that happened 10 years ago.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:13 pm

Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:57 am
I suspect Politic will end up as a 10, whether here or elsewhere. I’d peg him as Crawford’s understudy. But it’s good to see Evatt considering him in a couple of different positions, even if for now it’s just filling spaces with bodies and I suspect the longer plan is different.
But isn't that young Darcy?