Pre-Season Friendlies

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Pre-Season Friendlies

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:09 pm

I think you *can* do your ligaments and it not hurt (see Wheats finishing the half, though that could be a bit no sense no feeling) but you defo can also do it and be in absolute agony. Don't think it points either way. Crying shame for Denis. Probably means more game time for Ronan, and in his (probably better position).

As far as well know Gilks isn't registered yet and Alexander doesnt count, right? Probably more likely to stay that way and get another mid in.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:59 pm

From the info I've read, it could well be an ankle injury. Bad sprains or twists can cause the sort of debilitating pain referred to, in a best case scenario. An ankle break would be significantly worse, but would still be better than some of the other possibilities...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:12 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:09 pm
I think you *can* do your ligaments and it not hurt (see Wheats finishing the half, though that could be a bit no sense no feeling) but you defo can also do it and be in absolute agony. Don't think it points either way. Crying shame for Denis. Probably means more game time for Ronan, and in his (probably better position).

As far as well know Gilks isn't registered yet and Alexander doesnt count, right? Probably more likely to stay that way and get another mid in.
Gilks is registered, or at least has been announced as a player too. Marc Iles seems to think there's a U21 exception to the 23-man embargo limit, but he's trying to find out the parameters (21 at start of calendar year? start of season? end of season?) and obviously the EFL's about as much use as a fishnet condom.

Possible Evatt could promote Darcy (or King's Arms?) to being standby No10 but I still think he's more of a central midfielder. And it's you that persuaded me of that, so make your soddin' mind up... :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:45 pm

Haha! No, it's hard to tell given I've only seen him 3 or 4 times but I think his best position is at 10.

I thought you'd described him as a winger, and I think I'd they're the choices then he's much more suited to being a front foot 8 (if you will) than a wide man, if we're talking where he could do a job. But 10 looked his strongest.

Given the signings we made think it might be Evatt saw him more as an 8 and it wouldn't surprise me a) if that was the plan pre-Politic's injury or b) if it remains the plan and we bring in competition for Crawford rather than the deeper lads.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:45 pm
Haha! No, it's hard to tell given I've only seen him 3 or 4 times but I think his best position is at 10.

I thought you'd described him as a winger, and I think I'd they're the choices then he's much more suited to being a front foot 8 (if you will) than a wide man, if we're talking where he could do a job. But 10 looked his strongest.

Given the signings we made think it might be Evatt saw him more as an 8 and it wouldn't surprise me a) if that was the plan pre-Politic's injury or b) if it remains the plan and we bring in competition for Crawford rather than the deeper lads.
Alright then... :mrgreen:

Whoever he brings in, and for whichever position, he'll have to decide whether to go for a young wannabe or an established player. So far he's had his established trio (Comley, Sarce, Crawford) backed up with keen youngsters (White, Darcy, Politic). Doesn't strike me as a manager to be afraid of engendering competition, but it's a big decision to bring in essentially a "spare" player on a first-team wage. The benefit of the three shadow players he had was that they were promising, but not demanding first-team games; but if he goes too far the other way, and one of his first-choice three get an injury...

Anyway, here's Iles' think-piece, and it seems Sarce was playing No.10 with Crawford behind... discuss...
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ng-points/

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:39 pm

Sarce's goal yesterday. Gordon lays inside to (I think) Taft, then to Crawford in the centre-circle; long but accurate ball picked out of the sky by Gethin Jones, effectively right-winger; lay back to Sarce, then top bins.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:37 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:39 pm
Sarce's goal yesterday. Gordon lays inside to (I think) Taft, then to Crawford in the centre-circle; long but accurate ball picked out of the sky by Gethin Jones, effectively right-winger; lay back to Sarce, then top bins.
Quite incredible to see Bolton Wanderers play an actual game of football. Feels like it's been years.

Evatt spoke about that long ball on the Tifo Football podcast back in May. Something along the lines of "yes we like to play out from the back but if there's nothing doing then the instruction is for the defender to play a long ball to the opposite flank into the space behind the opposition full back"

So that's something we can expect to see this coming season. I'm especially excited to see Liam Gordon making those runs behind the defence and creating chances. Think he could be a real diamond in this league.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:54 pm

Indeed - and in this case it wasn't a defender, but a "creative" midfielder dropping deep and pinging passes. Note, too, how when Crawf gets the ball, Baptiste – knowing he's covered by the extra man - considers making a dash past him, to offer an option and to drag away the opponent, but then notes Ali is already lining up the ping. Lovely stuff they seem to be learning; let's hope it continues to be as successful as the opponents crank up.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:13 pm

I can't actually see most of that...fckin owd got.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:13 pm
Can't even see what you're writing, old git. :grin:
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:25 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:36 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:13 pm
Can't even see what you're writing, old git. :grin:
I was fine by the time I got to laptop screen...didn't have to step through to PC monitor or "big telly" :-)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:10 am

Last I saw of the ball it was disappearing towards the far corner. I'm going to assume it ended up in the net. Lovely stuff.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:07 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:10 am
Last I saw of the ball it was disappearing towards the far corner. I'm going to assume it ended up in the net. Lovely stuff.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:59 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:07 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:10 am
Cheers! 😁

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:30 pm

The club has released a new photoset of pre-season training.

Two things stand out to me: 1. They're being worked hard 2. They're enjoying themselves.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:33 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:30 pm

Two things stand out to me: 1. They're being worked hard 2. They're enjoying themselves.
They have someone bowling left arm round. That's a bad thing, unless they really know what they're doing!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:33 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:30 pm

They have someone bowling left arm round. That's a bad thing, unless they really know what they're doing!
At least Evatt looks like he might make a decent first change bowler.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:56 pm

Home friendly v Blackburn on 29 August. That ought to be a useful indication of where we're at.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:17 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:56 pm
Home friendly v Blackburn on 29 August. That ought to be a useful indication of where we're at.
Working up to a proper test - can’t fault this pre season, which following recent years is an absolute breath of fresh air.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:35 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:56 pm
We clearly shouldn't take the foot off the gas at 6 in that game.