Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:58 pm

I think the worst part is that Colchester were poor. They didn't have to do anything to win that game. They waited for us to cock it up, knocked the ball to a lad with pace and just tore us to bits again and again.

Most of them weren't even sweating.

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8952
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:59 pm

Thankfully none of our relegation rivals have picked up points...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23804
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:03 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:59 pm
Thankfully none of our relegation rivals have picked up points...
Harrogate, Barrow and fcking Salford are above us.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26503
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:03 pm

Pressure is really on now. 5 defeats in a row at the start of a managerial career just can’t happen. We’ve got to stop the rot and firstly the team has to start doing the hard work. We are very easy to play against. I worry whether our character and desire are right. Colchester looked a very poor side, had no striker and still beat us without having to break into a sweat. We are working teams enough, not playing it quickly enough and not running off the balk enough. We are the ultimate east side to beat. That can’t be allowed to continue. It absolutely cannot.

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:07 pm

The idea with the style of football we are attempting is that we are supposed to drag the opposition all over the show and force them to press us. We then pass through their lines as their press exposes space. They should be exhausted by about 60 mins in.

What Colchester realised was that we can't pass and we lack any kind of natural playmaker, so they just sat in their shape and waited for a bad touch or misplaced pass - then countered.

Every team we play will do that to us this season. Evatt has so much more work either than he realises or than he will admit.

Sod all other signing priorities. Evatt needs a player who can thread a ball. Even that won't help if he can't get the lads making the runs he needs.

We are as bad as I feared we might be, but we are making less progress than I thought, game by game.

We are managing to be both bad and boring.

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8952
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:12 pm

I thought up until 0-2 we were a lot better

I think goals will come, just need the ball to drop right in the box and improve our crossing (beat the first man!)

The biggest issue for me is that fecking wanker centre half falling asleep

And I’m so annoyed by him I am turning off!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23804
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:16 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:07 pm
The idea with the style of football we are attempting is that we are supposed to drag the opposition all over the show and force them to press us. We then pass through their lines as their press exposes space. They should be exhausted by about 60 mins in.

What Colchester realised was that we can't pass and we lack any kind of natural playmaker, so they just sat in their shape and waited for a bad touch or misplaced pass - then countered.

Every team we play will do that to us this season. Evatt has so much more work either than he realises or than he will admit.

Sod all other signing priorities. Evatt needs a player who can thread a ball. Even that won't help if he can't get the lads making the runs he needs.

We are as bad as I feared we might be, but we are making less progress than I thought, game by game.

We are managing to be both bad and boring.
Until we can stop leaking goals, threading balls through is pretty secondary. 4 competetive games, 8 goals conceded. We're not going to score 3 a game.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26503
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:18 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:16 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:07 pm
The idea with the style of football we are attempting is that we are supposed to drag the opposition all over the show and force them to press us. We then pass through their lines as their press exposes space. They should be exhausted by about 60 mins in.

What Colchester realised was that we can't pass and we lack any kind of natural playmaker, so they just sat in their shape and waited for a bad touch or misplaced pass - then countered.

Every team we play will do that to us this season. Evatt has so much more work either than he realises or than he will admit.

Sod all other signing priorities. Evatt needs a player who can thread a ball. Even that won't help if he can't get the lads making the runs he needs.

We are as bad as I feared we might be, but we are making less progress than I thought, game by game.

We are managing to be both bad and boring.
Until we can stop leaking goals, threading balls through is pretty secondary. 4 competetive games, 8 goals conceded. We're not going to score 3 a game.
Agreed. Next game must be clean sheet at all costs. If we get a 0-0 it’s something. But can’t keep conceding basic goals like we are.

Bertie Wooster
Promising
Promising
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:20 pm

Perhaps the defence need to be told to stop social distancing.

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:16 pm
Until we can stop leaking goals, threading balls through is pretty secondary. 4 competetive games, 8 goals conceded. We're not going to score 3 a game.
Not in Evatt's system. His system requires a passing threat to force the press and open the pitch up. The defence will be under less pressure if we fix things up the pitch. This is one reason why Ayling, Cooper etc look so much better under Bielsa...he forced teams back, pressed them hard up the pitch and allowed the defence to sweep up as needed.

Better centre halves don't fix the tactical issues. They'd save us a few goals a season, but we'd still concede dozens.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36114
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:33 pm

64% of the possession to us, according to Auntie - and for what?

At what point does the cry of "Get the fecking thing up there" come about?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23804
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:35 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:26 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:16 pm
Until we can stop leaking goals, threading balls through is pretty secondary. 4 competetive games, 8 goals conceded. We're not going to score 3 a game.
Not in Evatt's system. His system requires a passing threat to force the press and open the pitch up. The defence will be under less pressure if we fix things up the pitch. This is one reason why Ayling, Cooper etc look so much better under Bielsa...he forced teams back, pressed them hard up the pitch and allowed the defence to sweep up as needed.

Better centre halves don't fix the tactical issues. They'd save us a few goals a season, but we'd still concede dozens.
I understand the "system". I understand if we successfully defend from the front line then it doesn't get to the back line often. Still gotta be able to defend a corner.

We have a set of bollards.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18122
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:51 pm

Screenshot 2020-09-19 at 17.49.21.png
Screenshot 2020-09-19 at 17.49.21.png (124.05 KiB) Viewed 392 times
We! Are! 89thInTheLeague! Say we are 89thInTheLeague!

(Notable perhaps that other fancied teams Bradford, Mansfield, Exeter and Tranmere are also in the two-point-limit brigade... looks like it might be a funny old season...)

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8952
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:53 pm

Two centre halves - Delaney should start. That’s my last word on it! Now I have to go and have a beer. Wasn’t going to drink this weekend either!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26503
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:33 pm
64% of the possession to us, according to Auntie - and for what?

At what point does the cry of "Get the fecking thing up there" come about?
We don’t have to lump it up but we waste so many crossing chances it’s unreal.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8354
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:33 pm
64% of the possession to us, according to Auntie - and for what?

At what point does the cry of "Get the fecking thing up there" come about?
Get the quill and parchment out and gerrim told! He obviously ignored my letter.

Have seen both goals. Seems like my decision to inhale lead paint dust all afternoon rather than watch the game was the correct one.
...

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:48 pm

"I understand it’s frustrating. I’m as frustrated as everybody and I get that. I also get that I’m in the history of managers that’s lost their first four games in charge but that doesn't bother me, because I know what’s coming. I’m more than confident in myself and my abilities and today is the day where I really thought they’re starting to gather and take on this information. We looked like a really good team, bar the goals, bar us not taking our chances. You take the goals out of that game, we completely dominated it and if you asked every supporter that watches it, I’d encourage fans to watch it, yourselves (the media) as well, you must agree with me, I thought we were fantastic today." - Ian Evatt

It's alright, everyone. We were fantastic today.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8354
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:49 pm

:conf: Seems Evatt is quite pleased and claims we were mugged!

In mugging terms the first goal was the equivalent of standing in the middle of Toxteth waving a wad of £50 notes around with your eyes closed.
...

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18122
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Can we be-a-tad little shellfish and make this the U-turn of the season? Colchester United Away 19th Sep 2020 15:00p

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:10 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:05 pm
I can't help but laugh at this...otherwise I'd cry.
When the ball is on it's way into the box he's neither looking at the ball or at his man! For some reason he's looking up the pitch! CODE: SELECT ALL
Can't stop watching this.
Screenshot 2020-09-19 at 19.07.32.png
Screenshot 2020-09-19 at 19.07.32.png (280.32 KiB) Viewed 297 times
Screenshot 2020-09-19 at 19.07.49.png
Screenshot 2020-09-19 at 19.07.49.png (384.77 KiB) Viewed 297 times
Screenshot 2020-09-19 at 19.08.01.png
Screenshot 2020-09-19 at 19.08.01.png (318.2 KiB) Viewed 297 times

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nicholaldo, Prufrock and 8 guests