What's the collective noun for a group of wheelchair bound detectives? Newport County at home. 26th Sep 2020 3.00pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What's the collective noun for a group of wheelchair bound detectives? Newport County at home. 26th Sep 2020 3.00pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:56 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:29 pm
The bottom line is we’ve signed a bunch of lower league and non league players thrown them together and expected them to magically play football out from the back.
How many of our players would definitely be at league teams now if we hadn't picked them up?

Doyle, Sarce, Crawford, Delf, Taft and Jones. White would probably have been kept on at Barrow. Crellin would be in Blackpool's reserves. Who else? Maybe someone would have given Baptiste a final year for his experience.
So that's most of a team. And most of this division would be very happy to have the first four names at least.

And that's the worrying thing. It's not just the "moneyballers" that look gash. It's the established players too. And that's when it starts to look systemic.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What's the collective noun for a group of wheelchair bound detectives? Newport County at home. 26th Sep 2020 3.00pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:00 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:57 pm
Anything positive comes out of Evatts mouth is going to fall on deaf ears.
Well, he ain't gone Sammy Lee.
I don’t think there were many [positives]. Probably the five minutes after they scored the first goal we showed the most energy and desire we did all day. We got the goal and then it’s disallowed and the energy was drained out of us again. For the first 20 minutes we rode our luck with set pieces, and we knew they were physically strong from them, and most League Two teams are.

We didn’t deal with it well enough but we rode the storm, looked like we were taking over the game, then missed two or three chances that should have been goals. Same old story, you get to half time and try to lift the players again. Then – again – we concede two poor goals.

For me, we're not working hard enough. We're not making our own luck. We are lacking confidence from poor results, 100 per cent, and we need to do more. When things are not going right then you have to roll up your sleeves, win tackles, win headers, do the ugly side of the game well. But we’re not doing that either. Mentally we’re not doing enough – our mentality is poor at the moment.

I have to pick players who are going to show me the desire to win – they might not technically be the best players for the system, the shape or the opposition but if they give me 100 per cent desire and commitment, work their nuts off, it might be the best way forward at the moment. We need to stop the rot.

We're all working hard. On the training pitch we look like Real Madrid but on a matchday we’re not performing like that. Last Saturday I was pleased, it was much better, but here it’s back to square one again.

We’re a bag of Revels. Matchday to matchday I don’t know what we’re going to get. One minute we’re the coffee one, next the Malteser, I genuinely don’t know what we’re going to get. We have to be more consistent. But first and foremost we have to be mentally stronger.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -reaction/

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:31 pm

The abandonment of the 3-5-2 formation already, is worrying. Evatt looks like he's scrabbling around hoping to stumble on a winning formula without us being remotely close to getting the basics right yet.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:49 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:31 pm
The abandonment of the 3-5-2 formation already, is worrying. Evatt looks like he's scrabbling around hoping to stumble on a winning formula without us being remotely close to getting the basics right yet.
In his defence he started with a 4 at Barrow and shifted to a 3, so it's not alien to him.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:09 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:49 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
In his defence he started with a 4 at Barrow and shifted to a 3, so it's not alien to him.
Fair enough. I did get the impression though, that our recruitment was based on a 3-5-2 approach, picking up centre halves and wing backs. I'm still backing him but each game has me thinking we've recruited another Freedman.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:24 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
HG I agree this is also my concern, we apparently recruited 'money ball' style specifically to play a certain system & after one game he's changed things and I do agree that he's now just hoping to stumble on a winning formation.

I like Evatt and really hope that he can turn this around but losing in League 2 to Forest Green, Colchester & Newport without scoring a goal is worrying, in fact its more than worrying.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:34 pm

Evatt says we look like Real Madrid in training. He does realise that it's our defenders making them look like that?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:53 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:34 pm
Evatt says we look like Real Madrid in training. He does realise that it's our defenders making them look like that?
:lol:

I think the Revels metaphor would work better if their flavours were based on different varieties of animal dung.
I'm no fan of maltesers but I'm offended on their behalf by that comparison.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:54 pm

Evatt needs to drop Santos, he's a fcuking carthorse, he played in non league for a reason - Delaney IMO is a much better & proven CB at this level, and he can't keep playing Comley & White as they are both soft as shite, we need someone with some bottle and drive (Tutte ?) who can at least fight & battle - I have to say Gordon has also been very disappointing possibly out of his depth ?

Our whole approach so far on the pitch has been poor from Evatt - where is the fight, passion, spirit, tempo, motivation we actually play like a public school boy XI getting bullied every week, we need players who will fight & scrap and take it to the opposition.

Thinking about it, its actually a complete mirror of what was said under Hill & managers before him....why can't we get a team who will compete physically on the pitch ?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:13 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:54 pm
Evatt needs to drop Santos, he's a fcuking carthorse, he played in non league for a reason - Delaney IMO is a much better & proven CB at this level, and he can't keep playing Comley & White as they are both soft as shite, we need someone with some bottle and drive (Tutte ?) who can at least fight & battle - I have to say Gordon has also been very disappointing possibly out of his depth ?

Our whole approach so far on the pitch has been poor from Evatt - where is the fight, passion, spirit, tempo, motivation we actually play like a public school boy XI getting bullied every week, we need players who will fight & scrap and take it to the opposition.

Thinking about it, its actually a complete mirror of what was said under Hill & managers before him....why can't we get a team who will compete physically on the pitch ?
I think we need to pick some fighters. I’d certainly not be picking Crawford. Been dreadful. Delaney definitely needs a game. Midfield worries me - I think white has been ok but rest abysmal.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:24 pm

“I have to pick players who are going to show me the desire to win – they might not technically be the best players for the system, the shape or the opposition but if they give me 100 per cent desire and commitment, work their nuts off, it might be the best way forward at the moment. We need to stop the rot."

Sounds like the penny has dropped, but are these fighters there in the squad? If he doesn't pick Darcy next time it's massive kick in the knackers for the lad.
If he's not impressing in training so what? The others apparently look like real Madrid in training and Sunday leaguers on a Saturday, so maybe it'll work in reverse.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:25 pm

Haven't been impressed with White. He seems no better than the other midfielders we have been playing. I don't rate Darcy the way others on here do, but at least he fights hard and not afraid to put in a shift. Not seeing that with the current set. They seem scared.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:00 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:25 pm
Haven't been impressed with White. He seems no better than the other midfielders we have been playing. I don't rate Darcy the way others on here do, but at least he fights hard and not afraid to put in a shift. Not seeing that with the current set. They seem scared.
I'm also not entirely convinced by Darcy but in the current shambles it's an insult to leave him out

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:38 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:00 pm
irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:25 pm
I'm also not entirely convinced by Darcy but in the current shambles it's an insult to leave him out

Darcy has much to improve on, but he has a touch, feel and awareness that many in our team don't appear to possess and I find it difficult to believe he wouldn't improve us by playing, for example, on the left of the three in a 4-2-3-1.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:01 pm

Dropping Delf or Doyle?

This is why I think we might be better switching back to a back three. Doyle is hobbled as the one up top.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:04 pm

Bag of revels? What’s this man on? He needs to pick players who know what they are doing - Santos, comley, white, Gordon, all want dropping like a stone.

Phoenix the fecking champ manager player isn’t innocent in all this - we’ve signed some right shite.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:02 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:01 pm
Dropping Delf or Doyle?

This is why I think we might be better switching back to a back three. Doyle is hobbled as the one up top.

We could avoid dropping either and have Delfouneso on the right of the three. Rotating between Darcy, Delfouneso and Isgrove as our wider options further forward feels pretty decent for this league. I'd rather them in possession in and around the final third than have our wing-backs in a 3-5-2 be the main providers of width. The 3-5-2 seems to me to be an unnecessarily convoluted way of trying to achieve our objective.

Crellin; Jones, Baptiste, Delaney, Gordon; Tutte, White; Darcy/Isgrove, Crawford, Delfouneso; Doyle. 4-2-3-1.

I think that's what I'd go for just now. What is probably our most reliable starting eleven in the most sensible formation. Sarcevic would be an option in that central two rather than at No.10 when he returns from injury.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:47 am

I'm not sure about Crellin - his positional sense seems poor and he does appear prone to a mistake in every game. We need experience in goal (especially with Santos at CB) not a youngster with only a handful of 1st team games who was on loan at Chorley last season.

I also agree with the officer that Phoenix should be accountable for some of these poor 'I've never heard of them' signings - the lad signed yesterday (Gnahoua) is really strange, we need another striker but this lad isn't even a goal scorer in fact I don't even think that he's a centre forward. Evatt said last week that we are targeting a couple of loans as we need players at full fitness who are currently at other clubs as we can't afford to wait a month for out of contract players to get fit & then we go and sign two players out of contract who are probably not match fit.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:55 am

I can't shake the feeling that finally one of those 'I got Scunthorpe to the Champions League on Football Manager' letters finally slipped through the recruitment net and we mistakenly appointed Tobias Phoenix. He's actually called Trevor Peanut and lives in his gran's spare room.