Oh My Cod! Will we put them in their Plaice? Grimsby Town (H), League 2, Saturday 10th October @ 15:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Oh My Cod! Will we put them in their Plaice? Grimsby Town (H), League 2, Saturday 10th October @ 15:00

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:59 pm

Awful. First instinct in possession is to go sideways or backwards. Fonz, Sarcevic and Crawford stunk the place out.

Santos easily MotM closely followed by Sharkey.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Oh My Cod! Will we put them in their Plaice? Grimsby Town (H), League 2, Saturday 10th October @ 15:00

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:03 pm

Extremely poor going forward. Santos was, whilst still scaring me to death at times, really good. Sarce offers nothing if he's not making late runs into the box, his general play is worse than Pratley. There's not enough movement in front of Crawford for him to influence the game and he ends up pissing possession away.

Too many players looked like chasing loose passes wasn't in their job description and our insistence on passing to feet instead of into space meant Grimsby always had time to close us down.

It's still better than we were at the start of the season. Not good, just better.
Last edited by GhostoftheBok on Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:03 pm

Been sold a pup in Doyle. Seen enough of him to know he’s a fecking waste of time and space. Had a hatful or chances early season missed them all. Offers nothing in build up beyond the likelihood of him losing the ball. Utter wank.

Delfouneso was poor too today and hence why we are toothless.

Crawford is a shadow of the player from last season. Been dreadful all season.

Sarcevic isn’t good enough to make the play, looks better driving forward but we aren’t playing like that.

Get a big lad and play him up top. Get some balls into the box and try and win some second balls. We aren’t good enough to play this sort of football there are no gears and no players skilful enough to open teams up with a drop of the shoulder...

We have just played Grimsby and not managed a shot in target in 96 minutes. It patently isn’t good enough and it’s clear that it never will be if we persist with trying to play through teams. Go 4-3-3 put a proper striker upfront and get some width.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:17 pm

Disappointing result but overall I'm not to down about it. Santos, Delaney, Tutte & Hickman all played well IMO. Baptiste is just rubbish, poor or just past it, Evatt's substitutions were really poor though - he settled for a point with 15-20 mins to go, which after all his bluster & chat when he first joined is a little disappointing.

The defence looked at lot more solid and we kept the ball better in midfield without doing anything with it - but we just don't create chances or have anything upfront and don't look like ever scoring - we really do need another decent striker in before the window closes next week, and the striker needs to be a proper goal scorer. But we are now unbeaten in 2.
Last edited by Bertie Wooster on Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:21 pm

Doyle would be fine, I'm sure, if we played to his strengths. We've zero creativity which inevitably results in him coming deeper for possession. That's definitely not his game.

Agree on the others though. Crawford's body language looks wrong to me, like he's barely interested.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:37 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:21 pm
Doyle would be fine, I'm sure, if we played to his strengths. We've zero creativity which inevitably results in him coming deeper for possession. That's definitely not his game.

Agree on the others though. Crawford's body language looks wrong to me, like he's barely interested.
People always say this about these sorts of strikers. It means they do feck all and you need to give them chances on a plate. Football has moved on from there. We are not going to be doing that and even though he’s had a hatful of chances he’s managed just one goal. If we were good enough to create chances we’d be good enough to carry him but we aren’t.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:57 pm

Teams like Grimsby should be dealt with ad-hoc.... :oops:

ae:) :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:07 pm

Signings wise I can’t make my mind up what we need:
A left wing back / left midfield option cos Mascoll isn’t very good and Gordon is a none league athlete.
A proper target man.
A replacement / better version of Ali Crawford.
A right sided centre back (brockbank May have solved this!)
Another winger.
A senior keeper.

Could make a case for all to be honest.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:14 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:07 pm
Signings wise I can’t make my mind up what we need:
A left wing back / left midfield option cos Mascoll isn’t very good and Gordon is a none league athlete.
A proper target man.
A replacement / better version of Ali Crawford.
A right sided centre back (brockbank May have solved this!)
Another winger.
A senior keeper.

Could make a case for all to be honest.
Honestly think both Gordon and Mascoll are absolutely fine. A creative midfield player if we can find one who actually has some pace and power and can hit a shot would add something.

Absolutely need a target man type up top. Or someone with some presence and pace. Need another wide player. And probably another right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:21 pm

And another thing.

Corners from the left = Crawford inswinger - Corners from the right = Crawford outswinger.

How come we never get on the end of these? My mum'll be able to tell you where the fecking ball's about to go.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:29 pm

In the system that Evatt plays I actually think that he needs to play 2 out and out strikers, Doyle would be much better with a proper strike partner - Miller or a new on loan striker. I like Delfouneso and he gives us something different but not as part of a front 2 he's actually more of a winger than a striker.

Today was disappointing as we all thought that we would beat Grimsby easily, but you could see progress defensively and also better link up between defence & midfield - but we need more upfront as we just don't look like scoring, but I think we will improve significantly once Isgrove is fit as he will create chances for Doyle. Also, Evatt needed to be brave with his substitutions today but he was completely the opposite.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:34 pm

Deffo been progress on the defensive side - and we would all have agreed that was priority 3 weeks ago.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:47 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:29 pm
In the system that Evatt plays I actually think that he needs to play 2 out and out strikers, Doyle would be much better with a proper strike partner - Miller or a new on loan striker. I like Delfouneso and he gives us something different but not as part of a front 2 he's actually more of a winger than a striker.

Today was disappointing as we all thought that we would beat Grimsby easily, but you could see progress defensively and also better link up between defence & midfield - but we need more upfront as we just don't look like scoring, but I think we will improve significantly once Isgrove is fit as he will create chances for Doyle. Also, Evatt needed to be brave with his substitutions today but he was completely the opposite.
Those subs were mystifying. The all just seemed to be direct replacement downgrades.

On the forwards, don't forget Miller, who I think I'd read isn't far off recovery, now.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:37 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

People always say this about these sorts of strikers. It means they do feck all and you need to give them chances on a plate. Football has moved on from there. We are not going to be doing that and even though he’s had a hatful of chances he’s managed just one goal. If we were good enough to create chances we’d be good enough to carry him but we aren’t.
Doyle was top scorer for a promoted side last year, so I dont see how football has moved on. I'm as upset at todays performance as you are but that's silly talk. We knew what we were getting so our game should be developed to get the best out of him. I must have missed the hatful of chances we've created for him this season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:56 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:37 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Doyle was top scorer for a promoted side last year, so I dont see how football has moved on. I'm as upset at todays performance as you are but that's silly talk. We knew what we were getting so our game should be developed to get the best out of him. I must have missed the hatful of chances we've created for him this season.
Yes and he struggled at Bradford. Like I say if we created chances on a plate then fine. But we aren’t good enough. So need a striker who offers far more.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:57 pm

Never mind, replied to an old post.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:59 pm

He can score goals in this division. He's more than proved that, just last season. Football hasn't 'moved on'. He's on a 3 year deal so we'll be better at getting the side playing to his strengths. Quickly.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:04 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:59 pm
He can score goals in this division. He's more than proved that, just last season. Football hasn't 'moved on'. He's on a 3 year deal so we'll be better at getting the side playing to his strengths. Quickly.
To do that we will need three or four players behind him far better than the ones we’ve got, at least. And probably a change of system because there is no consistency of delivery with how we are playing.

I personally think if would be easier to simplify our game rather than try to find the three or four with genuine quality we need.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:07 pm

You don't "carry" goalscorers and football hasn't moved on from strikers.

He is coming deep to get the ball because the rest of the team isn't doing what it needs to do to give it to him in better areas. He is being marked out of games due to a lack of threat around him. Sarce is massively more of an issue than Doyle and we are carrying him far more.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:47 pm
On the forwards, don't forget Miller, who I think I'd read isn't far off recovery, now.
Not the way I read it, Worthy.
Meanwhile, new signings Lloyd Isgrove and Shaun Miller will be put through a two-week ‘boot camp’ to get them back in action.

“We are being a bit more cautious with Lloyd Isgrove,” he said. “When players have missed as much football as he has and not been attached to club, the more we rush him the more likely he is to break down again.

“He will be back on the grass next week but we’re going to sacrifice a couple of weeks with him to give him a mini pre-season to make sure when he’s back he’s robust enough to handle the day-to-day training and the matchday environment.

“It’s the same for Shaun Miller. We have to be careful we don’t break him down again.”
That's from a BN piece yesterday https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ured-star/ so I'd imagine neither is a goer for Oldham next Saturday or Barrow the Tuesday after.