Oldham or fold em, but no full house in sight..

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Oldham or fold em, but no full house in sight..

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:32 pm

Athertonian wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:06 pm
Is it the manager? I find it strange we have been one of the worst teams in the league for the past few seasons?
We haven't though. We were promoted from league one a few years back and survived against the odds the next year. That wasn''t so long ago. Easy to forget.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:32 pm
Athertonian wrote:
Is it the manager? I find it strange we have been one of the worst teams in the league for the past few seasons?
We haven't though. We were promoted from league one a few years back and survived against the odds the next year. That wasn''t so long ago. Easy to forget.
apart from that season when we got promoted, we’ve been a bag of shit for half a decade at least. Losing half our games, drawing a quarter, winning a quarter. Scoring much less than a goal per game and conceding about 1.5 if I recall correctly. And that’s including Parky’s welcome but hardly brilliant promotion season, during several points of which I seem to recall you were certain we wouldn’t go up... :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:15 pm

Not to forget that this season is the first time since Jan '19 we weren't in the relegation zone, and the first three weeks it was in goal difference and it's currently by a point.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:15 pm

See, this is the problem with Monday. The glass temporarily goes maybe a little fuller as we imagine the superb training ground performances...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:39 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Athertonian wrote:
apart from that season when we got promoted, we’ve been a bag of shit for half a decade at least. Losing half our games, drawing a quarter, winning a quarter. Scoring much less than a goal per game and conceding about 1.5 if I recall correctly. And that’s including Parky’s welcome but hardly brilliant promotion season, during several points of which I seem to recall you were certain we wouldn’t go up... :D
In a decade Parky was the only managed to improve our league position season to season. So whilst I agree this has been an absolutely miserable decade, on the field his tenure was without doubt a feast of absolute riches compared to everything else. And it’s no shock that the best manager we had in that period by a country mile brought the best results.

And there were two seasons in a row that resulted in a pitch invasion at the end for good reasons. So yes it’s been an intolerable shit decade with a very brief but welcome short period of relative success.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:32 pm

I wouldn't argue that Parky has been the best manager we've had in the last decade.

There isn't a "feast of riches" anywhere in there. There was a season I was happy we got promoted and a season I was happy we stayed up. The football was in large part dire.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:54 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:32 pm
I wouldn't argue that Parky has been the best manager we've had in the last decade.

There isn't a "feast of riches" anywhere in there. There was a season I was happy we got promoted and a season I was happy we stayed up. The football was in large part dire.
I’d take that football now if we won some bloody games...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:18 am

Well he currently manages the lowest scoring side in the top half of L1. We currently have the lowest scoring side in the bottom half of L2. But we've moved on from Parky.

Had we been seeing signs of building from 2nd half v Crewe (which result apart was enjoyable), I'd probably be ok with it all. I do think he needs to find a side a little more settled than "Wanderers make 5 changes"...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:40 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:18 am
Well he currently manages the lowest scoring side in the top half of L1. We currently have the lowest scoring side in the bottom half of L2. But we've moved on from Parky.

Had we been seeing signs of building from 2nd half v Crewe (which result apart was enjoyable), I'd probably be ok with it all. I do think he needs to find a side a little more settled than "Wanderers make 5 changes"...
Yeah my overall point is that right now how we play is irrelevant. We need results. The score on the doors after 95 minutes or whenever the whistle blows is the only thing that matters. If we have to play differently to get a scrappy off the arse 1-0 then great I'll take that and celebrate loudly tonight.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:56 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:39 pm
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Athertonian wrote:
In a decade Parky was the only managed to improve our league position season to season. So whilst I agree this has been an absolutely miserable decade, on the field his tenure was without doubt a feast of absolute riches compared to everything else. And it’s no shock that the best manager we had in that period by a country mile brought the best results.

And there were two seasons in a row that resulted in a pitch invasion at the end for good reasons. So yes it’s been an intolerable shit decade with a very brief but welcome short period of relative success.
Athertonian's premise was that "we have been one of the worst teams in the league for the past few seasons" and boy, was he right. I've found my workings-out and in the half-decade between summer 2015 and summer 2020 we did this:

Pl 218 W 53 D 58 L 107 F 204 A 335 GD -131 Pts 205

• We lost 49% of our games
• We only won 24% of them
• We averaged less than a point per game
• We averaged less than a goal per game
• We conceded more than 1.5 goals per game
• We were relegated three times in five seasons

Remember, these stats somehow include a promotion season. And in the other season we didn't get relegated, we should have. That's opinion, but it's as near to statistical certainty as I've ever seen. I've looked back through the records since the second tier went up to 24 teams in 1988 - that's 32 completed seasons – and no other team ever survived with as few points (43) or as poor a goal difference (-35), and only one surviving team in those 32 years scored fewer goals than us. This was a team that was extraordinarily lucky to survive, like a patient at surviving a last-ditch but usually lethal operation. There was no belief, only relief: the sort of short sharp positive emotion you get when your daughter who's been missing all night finally answers her phone. If that season was a celebration meal it was the equivalent of a tramp finding a rancid butty in a bin. We should have gone down. Instead, we did the next season, and the season after. You can feel free to define that season as "relative success," which I suppose it was, although I don't recall much whopping and hollering on here. I'd call it slightly less shit and incredibly fortuitous, and not just in the circumstances of the last five minutes. If it's "easy to forget", perhaps that's a coping mechanism. :mrgreen:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:30 am

Well, DSB, just as we settle into the ruffled bed of Autumn, bracing ourselves for what is likely to be the most difficult Winter of our lives, personally, professionally, and footballerly, there's nothing quite like sending ourselves headlong into it on a Wanderers high, Old Sport. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:03 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:30 am
Well, DSB, just as we settle into the ruffled bed of Autumn, bracing ourselves for what is likely to be the most difficult Winter of our lives, personally, professionally, and footballerly, there's nothing quite like sending ourselves headlong into it on a Wanderers high, Old Sport. :D
Ha! See also my message on the Barrow thread... I'll be watching tonight, perhaps through tented fingers... :D

Also, in all seriousness – we nearly went bust. Other clubs did. I'd rather watch us lose for decades than see us go out of business. Compared to that, it's blessed wonderfulness to watch us lose at home to Forest Green Rovers.

COYWM

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:29 pm

Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:03 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:30 am
Ha! See also my message on the Barrow thread... I'll be watching tonight, perhaps through tented fingers... :D

Also, in all seriousness – we nearly went bust. Other clubs did. I'd rather watch us lose for decades than see us go out of business. Compared to that, it's blessed wonderfulness to watch us lose at home to Forest Green Rovers.

COYWM
That's true is that! :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:32 pm

Recognise anyone we know? :-)