Evatt has a bag of Revells to contend with. Who'll turn up? Stevenage Away 21/11/2020 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Evatt has a bag of Revells to contend with. Who'll turn up? Stevenage Away 21/11/2020 3pm

Post by DJBlu » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:41 pm

Hope we can continue the momentum against Alex Revell's men. Will our lot turn up this time away from home? Will the new 5 subs per match help? Will Gilks be back in?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Evatt has a bag of Revells to contend with. Who'll turn up? Stevenage Away 21/11/2020 3pm

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:49 pm

Stevenage, Scunthorpe, Six points....it on.. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Evatt has a bag of Revells to contend with. Who'll turn up? Stevenage Away 21/11/2020 3pm

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:13 pm

Is this the one which iFollow are giving us fer nowt?
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:49 pm
Stevenage, Scunthorpe, Six points....it on.. :oyea:
If Scunthorpe win both games in hand they will be above us - two wins on the bounce.

Got to be looking to win at Stevenage. Start building some form.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:36 pm

I've got no problem with a 0-0
A clean sheet away from home is a result - even against teams at the bottom.
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:13 pm
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/novemb ... wanderers/

Not according to this.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:44 pm

nelson66 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:36 pm
I've got no problem with a 0-0
A clean sheet away from home is a result - even against teams at the bottom.
I think we've got to be aiming a bit higher than that. We looked comfortable against one of the better sides in the league last week, so our ambition should absolutely be to win this one.

In theory now that we have almost (miss u Dennis) a full squad to choose from, the five subs thing should be of benefit to us. However, Evatt has hardly convinced with his changes to this point so I'm not confident it actually will. I hope we start seeing Darcy a bit earlier now anyway.

I'll go 2-1 Bolton.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:40 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:39 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/novemb ... wanderers/

Not according to this.

It is for people who paid for the match where there were problems (I can't remember which one it was) and didn't get a refund. Those who fall into that category should have an email from iFollow with a discount code.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Aye, we got an email after the Bradford game I think to say this was a freebie. As an ST you'll have one Bruce.

A recent upturn in both performances and results means I should be feeling optimistic about this one but hang on, we're Bolton Wanderers. 2 steps forward and 1 back.

1-2 defeat.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

I’d totally forgotten about that, thanks for the reminder. I even had the foresight to put the email in a separate folder, so I didn’t delete it. Most unlike me to be so organised... except the bit where I forgot I received the email! 😬

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:52 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:25 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I’d totally forgotten about that, thanks for the reminder. I even had the foresight to put the email in a separate folder, so I didn’t delete it. Most unlike me to be so organised... except the bit where I forgot I received the email! 😬
And guess which numb nice person HAS deleted his? :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:22 am

Well, I've signed up for this one - don't know why with a 02:00 Sunday kick off my time. The things some followers do for their club; fancy paying your hard earned for a couple of hours of sleep deprivation torture! It had better be good, Mr Evatt.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:59 pm

Interesting as to what difference the five-subs rule might make. Remember Evatt hasn’t always even made three subs – he didn’t against Bradford in the cup, Colchester, Barrow and Cambridge, and against Bradford in the league he didn’t bring on Darcy until injury time – but then he hasn’t always had realistic options on the bench, by his own account:
Earlier in the season when I was looking at a bench to change the game, especially in the attacking half of the pitch, we didn’t really have those options. You were trying to manufacture something, whether it was changing wingbacks for crossing opportunities, or something similar. We ended up doing that rather than being able to actually change the attackers. Now we have some real firepower, attacking options that can affect games. It’s important we keep everyone in one piece.
Also interesting to look back at what subs he has made. If you were asked to name the most frequently withdrawn player, you might not say Delfouneso, but he’s been hooked 6 times in 14 starts (one of them when injured at Orient). White and Crawford have been subbed off 5 times each (from 9 and 13 starts respectively), Tutte and Brocky 4 each (from 6 and 9 starts) and Comley’s not completed 3 of his 8 starts.
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (26.42 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
It doesn’t look like Evatt will change his back three midstream - that’s only happened twice, both at half-time (Greenidge for Delaney at Shrewsbury and Gordon for Baptiste, with Brocky switching to centre-back, at Orient). That means that Evatt can change five from his “front seven”, which is quite the luxury and useful for the high press.

The two new left wingbacks haven’t exactly impressed but with us playing again on Tuesday night at Scunny, I think we can expect to see Gethin get a breather during the second half and be replaced by Gordon (who has been in all 17 matchday squads and only twice stayed on the bench).

We might also see Hickman get some minutes replacing Kioso later on, especially if we need to get crosses in the box (see Evatt quote above) or, conversely, are safe enough to rest Peter K, who hasn’t been subbed at all yet.

That defensive midfield role is usually subbed anyway - Tutte has only played 90 minutes twice in his 10 appearances, White 4 in his 11, Comley 5 in his 12. Assuming Tutte starts again, Comley and White will be hoping to replace him in the second half.

Evatt has never subbed Sarce; with more subs available it’s an option, but unless the skipper feels a twinge I think it more likely that Crawford will come off, probably replaced by Darcy but possibly by Isgrove or Miller.

Speaking of which, the two thirtysomethings up front might like a breather late on, and we have the options to do so – but again, it depends on the state of the game and more importantly the state of the players. Evatt again:
It’s good that if a game isn’t going how we want to, or we need to see it out, we can have the option to change it. Primarily, though, it is better to manage people’s fitness levels and fitness loads. The way we play is difficult. It is intense and it is hard work. We have to work hard to keep the ball, but also to win it back as well. When you are trying to be a possession-based team it can be physically demanding and you absolutely have to be fit.

We will fatigue, we are going to get tired, especially when we have got the likes of Gethin Jones back after six weeks and only really trained one week before the game. Then Eoin Doyle has been out, Lloyd Isgrove, Shaun Miller have only just come back, so keeping people in one piece is important. When they get to that level of fatigue you have to make sure you get them off the pitch to make sure they don’t get injured.
Doyle has only come off twice in his 11 starts - once when injured at Cambridge, once to protect him against Salford (when we were two goals up for only the second time this season). I think we can expect Delf to get a breather whether we’re winning or not, but Doyler might find himself needed for the 90 unless we’re in a good position.

One more thing to remember: although the EFL rule change doesn’t make this clear, I assume it’ll be like other tournaments where you don’t get five opportunities to make substitutions (and potentially time-waste), but are limited to three occurrences during playing time – possibly with another at half-time. Assuming this is so, in order to make five changes we would have to make at least two at once. Interesting to see whether that makes us stronger (fresher legs) or weaker (lesser players).

So overall, of the front seven we expect from an unchanged team, we can and probably will change all but two – and if I had to bet, the two I’d predict to stay on would be Sarce and Kioso, unless we need Doyle to stay on and replace Peter K with Hickman.
lineup.png
lineup.png (113.99 KiB) Viewed 4199 times

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:08 pm

From what I’ve seen of Tuesday i don’t think Thomason did himself any harm - on the bench instead of White?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:59 pm
Interesting as to what difference the five-subs rule might make. Remember Evatt hasn’t always even made three subs – he didn’t against Bradford in the cup, Colchester, Barrow and Cambridge, and against Bradford in the league he didn’t bring on Darcy until injury time – but then he hasn’t always had realistic options on the bench, by his own account:
Earlier in the season when I was looking at a bench to change the game, especially in the attacking half of the pitch, we didn’t really have those options. You were trying to manufacture something, whether it was changing wingbacks for crossing opportunities, or something similar. We ended up doing that rather than being able to actually change the attackers. Now we have some real firepower, attacking options that can affect games. It’s important we keep everyone in one piece.
Also interesting to look back at what subs he has made. If you were asked to name the most frequently withdrawn player, you might not say Delfouneso, but he’s been hooked 6 times in 14 starts (one of them when injured at Orient). White and Crawford have been subbed off 5 times each (from 9 and 13 starts respectively), Tutte and Brocky 4 each (from 6 and 9 starts) and Comley’s not completed 3 of his 8 starts.
Screenshot 2.jpg
It doesn’t look like Evatt will change his back three midstream - that’s only happened twice, both at half-time (Greenidge for Delaney at Shrewsbury and Gordon for Baptiste, with Brocky switching to centre-back, at Orient). That means that Evatt can change five from his “front seven”, which is quite the luxury and useful for the high press.

The two new left wingbacks haven’t exactly impressed but with us playing again on Tuesday night at Scunny, I think we can expect to see Gethin get a breather during the second half and be replaced by Gordon (who has been in all 17 matchday squads and only twice stayed on the bench).

We might also see Hickman get some minutes replacing Kioso later on, especially if we need to get crosses in the box (see Evatt quote above) or, conversely, are safe enough to rest Peter K, who hasn’t been subbed at all yet.

That defensive midfield role is usually subbed anyway - Tutte has only played 90 minutes twice in his 10 appearances, White 4 in his 11, Comley 5 in his 12. Assuming Tutte starts again, Comley and White will be hoping to replace him in the second half.

Evatt has never subbed Sarce; with more subs available it’s an option, but unless the skipper feels a twinge I think it more likely that Crawford will come off, probably replaced by Darcy but possibly by Isgrove or Miller.

Speaking of which, the two thirtysomethings up front might like a breather late on, and we have the options to do so – but again, it depends on the state of the game and more importantly the state of the players. Evatt again:
It’s good that if a game isn’t going how we want to, or we need to see it out, we can have the option to change it. Primarily, though, it is better to manage people’s fitness levels and fitness loads. The way we play is difficult. It is intense and it is hard work. We have to work hard to keep the ball, but also to win it back as well. When you are trying to be a possession-based team it can be physically demanding and you absolutely have to be fit.

We will fatigue, we are going to get tired, especially when we have got the likes of Gethin Jones back after six weeks and only really trained one week before the game. Then Eoin Doyle has been out, Lloyd Isgrove, Shaun Miller have only just come back, so keeping people in one piece is important. When they get to that level of fatigue you have to make sure you get them off the pitch to make sure they don’t get injured.
Doyle has only come off twice in his 11 starts - once when injured at Cambridge, once to protect him against Salford (when we were two goals up for only the second time this season). I think we can expect Delf to get a breather whether we’re winning or not, but Doyler might find himself needed for the 90 unless we’re in a good position.

One more thing to remember: although the EFL rule change doesn’t make this clear, I assume it’ll be like other tournaments where you don’t get five opportunities to make substitutions (and potentially time-waste), but are limited to three occurrences during playing time – possibly with another at half-time. Assuming this is so, in order to make five changes we would have to make at least two at once. Interesting to see whether that makes us stronger (fresher legs) or weaker (lesser players).

So overall, of the front seven we expect from an unchanged team, we can and probably will change all but two – and if I had to bet, the two I’d predict to stay on would be Sarce and Kioso, unless we need Doyle to stay on and replace Peter K with Hickman.
lineup.png

Short version: 1-1. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:37 am

Was looking forwards to a bit of sport...then I spot England v Ireland with same kick-off time...decisions, decisions.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:57 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:08 pm
From what I’ve seen of Tuesday i don’t think Thomason did himself any harm - on the bench instead of White?
Possibly. But it's hard to guess with Evatt.

He'll surely have at least two wingbacks - Hickman and Gordon. Plus at least one of Comley or White as a "sitting" midfielder option. He may have Crellin on the bench as per last Friday, which was also the first time this season he didn't have a space centre-back on the bench, so I'd expect Taft to reappear there (or Greenidge if he's got him in mind as emergency goalkeeper, thus allowing him to drop Crellin and free up a space). He'll want two forwards (Miller and Isgrove, or possibly Gnahoua) and a less defensive midfielder as backup for Crawford/Sarce - which could be Dracy or could be Thomason.

if he goes Crellin, Taft, Hickman, Gordon, Comley, Miller, Isgrove, then he's got one more space for Thomason/White/Darcy/Gnahoua. It could be that Thomason wouldn't only leapfrog White but also Darcy.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:11 pm

An unchanged team, as expected. Darcy gets the nod for that final place on the substitutes' bench.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:11 pm

Happy that it's unchanged, but can't understand Comley on the bench rather than Thomasen.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:24 pm

Thomasen is suspended -- he's picked up 5 bookings at Bamber Bridge (according to the BEN)
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin: