Making HMS YouKnowWhat ship-shape: Winter 20/21 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Making HMS YouKnowWhat ship-shape: Winter 20/21 transfer thread

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:34 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:54 pm
I’d definitely take Matthews back, but I suppose we either declined to offer him a contract or he turned us down in the summer, so perhaps that ship has sailed.

I suspect the latter is most likely. But, I don't think that would rule out a return. He'd get first team football at a club he knows well. All conjecture of course, but I wouldn't say no to his return.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:15 pm

Having signed in summer, Bolton-born former Huddersfield goalkeeper Joel Coleman (age 25) has only been in the matchday squad twice for Fleetwood, but it remains to be seen as to whether they'd lend us another keeper if we send them back a badly bent Crellin.
They bloody well should. For free. Along with an apology and a bumper box of Ferrero Rocher.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:11 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:54 pm
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:15 pm

Having signed in summer, Bolton-born former Huddersfield goalkeeper Joel Coleman (age 25) has only been in the matchday squad twice for Fleetwood, but it remains to be seen as to whether they'd lend us another keeper if we send them back a badly bent Crellin.
They bloody well should. For free. Along with an apology and a bumper box of Ferrero Rocher.

Are Fleetwood stock piling goalies? They seem to have a first choice keeper, a back-up and then Coleman and Crellin.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:28 am

They have realised Crellins hands are made from lego, I’m not sure he counts.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:11 pm

I said this in the Southend match thread but thought it better repeating here but I think our Jan business should focus on GK, LWB, DM and a ST. If Kioso returns to Luton I reckon Jones and Hickman would suffice at RWB but a worry could well be if another club came in sniffing round Santos. As we are openly a 'moneyball' club now any decent offer for him would surely be considered by Sharon and co. But I think Evatt would want to block any bid for Santos until the summer and then only if we didn't get promoted.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:31 pm

Kisoso signed on a season-long loan, which could obviously be ended prematurely, but I think he'll stay. If Santos does generate interest it'll be from the league above, and I don't think there's any chance clubs at that level could offer us enough money in the current circumstances to part company with him.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:57 am

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... heltenham/

Tutte out until Christmas, which is a bit of a shitter. Evatt now has a few games to try out some alternatives (although I suspect it will only be White and Comley) and see if anyone does enough to prevent us from signing another midfielder in Jan.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:10 pm

We’ll see - Evatt loves to make injuries sound worse than they are. Be surprised if he is back this weekend but a couple of weeks might do it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:34 pm

But let's take the club at its word and say that Tutte's out for four weeks, who steps in? White did a decent job when he came on for him on Saturday, but what it did show is that we're absolutely desperate for someone who can win the ball / break up play in the middle of the pitch. Southend, a side anchored to the foot of the table, stroked the ball about, especially early in the second half, like they were three up.
We have seven games between now and 2nd Jan, six of them against teams who currently lie between 3rd and 14th in the table. I'm concerned that we've nowt much int' middle.
May the bridges I burn light your way

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:33 pm

We don't have a direct replacement. White's currently in posesssion of the shirt, or at least should be given he replaced Tutte on Saturday, so it'll surely be him. The only other option seems to be Comley.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:56 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:33 pm
We don't have a direct replacement. White's currently in posesssion of the shirt, or at least should be given he replaced Tutte on Saturday, so it'll surely be him. The only other option seems to be Comley.
This may be way off but I think there’s a slim chance he might try Thomason there. It would be a big ask and a big risk. But if we want a like-for-like replacement, Thomason seems to have a similar eye for a forward pass and Evatt has praised his workrate at closing down.

White is more likely and Comley is potentially our next best sitting midfielder, but Thomason might not be out of mind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:51 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:34 pm
But let's take the club at its word and say that Tutte's out for four weeks, who steps in? White did a decent job when he came on for him on Saturday, but what it did show is that we're absolutely desperate for someone who can win the ball / break up play in the middle of the pitch. Southend, a side anchored to the foot of the table, stroked the ball about, especially early in the second half, like they were three up.
We have seven games between now and 2nd Jan, six of them against teams who currently lie between 3rd and 14th in the table. I'm concerned that we've nowt much int' middle.
This. Midfield is weak. White for me looks a nice player but doesn't bring the energy or drive that Tutte does. And like you say Southend for periods were so dominant against our midfield and they are bottom of the table.

Not sure on the answer to this but I'm fairly sure a midfield of White, Crawford and Sarcevic doesn't cut it.

I'd be interested in seeing if one of the young lads can fill in - as DSB says. But failing that I'd probably rather put Comley in as at least he's a tackle or two in him even if on the ball he's looked rather clueless.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:04 am

Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:56 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:33 pm
This may be way off but I think there’s a slim chance he might try Thomason there. It would be a big ask and a big risk. But if we want a like-for-like replacement, Thomason seems to have a similar eye for a forward pass and Evatt has praised his workrate at closing down.

White is more likely and Comley is potentially our next best sitting midfielder, but Thomason might not be out of mind.
I doubt he recalled Thomason from loan just to play in the 12" Stuffed Crust Cup against Newcastle's kids, so he could well get his chance. I'm open to seeing what he can do, but it would be surprising if he were immediately good enough to replace the Tutte-shaped hole.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:14 am

I wanted to mention Thomason but would we be so forgiving if we're 2 down in the first 30 mins?

I think we're going to see White/Comley then maybe a sub appearance.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:15 am

I’d be tempted to give Comley another go before he’s written off. He hasn’t played in the side since we turned the corner. The obvious point here is Tutte has been key in the upturn in form. I’d give him a game or two and if he can’t do it, look to get rid in January. Two year contract isn’t he?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:15 am

I'm not sure which of the young lads would fit into the Tutte role (specifically) as opposed to a midfield role (in general). I reckon most folks will have seen a few goes from Darcy - it's not him for Tutte, in my book. Folks may have seen a game/half a game of Riley and Thomason - on which they've managed to declare them better than Comely / White. We just need Andranik back now. There's generally a reason, the manager who sees these people day in, day out isn't putting them in for starts. If they were all that and a bag of chips, it would be stupid of a manager to ignore them.

White for me was playing better before his injury. But he did OK at weekend. We lost "something" compared to a Tutte performance, and even looking at a solid 3-0 win, we didn't create owt on the left Delaney/Jones/Crawford, nor did we create much through the middle. The right was fine, with Baptiste/Kioso/Sarcevic. As you say, Southend looked like they were ahead in the midfield, 2nd half for periods of the game.

I wonder whether Sarcevic could drop into the Tutte role, and look to replacing the more attacking role with maybe Darcy where Sarce normally plays...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:46 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:15 am
I'm not sure which of the young lads would fit into the Tutte role (specifically) as opposed to a midfield role (in general). I reckon most folks will have seen a few goes from Darcy - it's not him for Tutte, in my book. Folks may have seen a game/half a game of Riley and Thomason - on which they've managed to declare them better than Comely / White. We just need Andranik back now. There's generally a reason, the manager who sees these people day in, day out isn't putting them in for starts. If they were all that and a bag of chips, it would be stupid of a manager to ignore them.

White for me was playing better before his injury. But he did OK at weekend. We lost "something" compared to a Tutte performance, and even looking at a solid 3-0 win, we didn't create owt on the left Delaney/Jones/Crawford, nor did we create much through the middle. The right was fine, with Baptiste/Kioso/Sarcevic. As you say, Southend looked like they were ahead in the midfield, 2nd half for periods of the game.

I wonder whether Sarcevic could drop into the Tutte role, and look to replacing the more attacking role with maybe Darcy where Sarce normally plays...
For me Sarcevic is our best attacking threat from midfield so I'd be looking to release him more rather than curtail what he does. Crawford should be played a bit deeper and be told to perform as he did last season with some all action efforts rather than the limp and a little ineffective showings he's mainly put in this season. He was all over the pitch with energy last season and picked lots up from deep - we need a bit of that from him now. I'd probably just put Comley in tbh because he offers the most balance but be interesting to see Riley/Thommason from the bench because in January we'll need to sign a midfield player so be good to assess what these younger lads can offer.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:31 am

There’s a player in Comley, but he needs to improve two things. First, his passing, which is too frequently sideways (and not always safely). Second, his tackling, which has brought him four yellow cards - so even if he gets the nod he might soon be suspended anyway.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:52 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:46 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:15 am

For me Sarcevic is our best attacking threat from midfield so I'd be looking to release him more rather than curtail what he does. Crawford should be played a bit deeper and be told to perform as he did last season with some all action efforts rather than the limp and a little ineffective showings he's mainly put in this season. He was all over the pitch with energy last season and picked lots up from deep - we need a bit of that from him now. I'd probably just put Comley in tbh because he offers the most balance but be interesting to see Riley/Thommason from the bench because in January we'll need to sign a midfield player so be good to assess what these younger lads can offer.
In an ideal, injury free world, I wouldn't be contemplating moving Sarcevic into a more defensive role. We're not in that world at the moment.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:53 am

Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:31 am
There’s a player in Comley, but he needs to improve two things. First, his passing, which is too frequently sideways (and not always safely). Second, his tackling, which has brought him four yellow cards - so even if he gets the nod he might soon be suspended anyway.
Those two attributes you've picked out are fairly fundamental.