Returning to the ground

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Returning to the ground

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:06 pm

I think some of the arguments around what is open and what isn't miss the point, occasionally on purpose.

It's not a bright line test of risk. It's about level of risk and level of "utility" for want of a better word.

I'm sure the thinking is that while there is probably (surely?) a greater risk in allowing people to continue shopping inside, the utility (economic, jobs, Christmas) is much higher than allowing people to go to the football.

I think I disagree, but it's not as simple as saying how come I can do this but I can't do that.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:00 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:06 pm
I think some of the arguments around what is open and what isn't miss the point, occasionally on purpose.

It's not a bright line test of risk. It's about level of risk and level of "utility" for want of a better word.

I'm sure the thinking is that while there is probably (surely?) a greater risk in allowing people to continue shopping inside, the utility (economic, jobs, Christmas) is much higher than allowing people to go to the football.

I think I disagree, but it's not as simple as saying how come I can do this but I can't do that.
See I of course accept that not every decision is completely based on risk. I will take your word utility. Sure. But my problem is that utility appears to be which rich businessmen can exert the most pressure on the Tory party, clearly not football clubs, or restauranteers...that’s for sure.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:14 pm

Spearing and Feeney start for them, along with a bloke called Sid Nelson who sounds like a Viz character.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:00 pm
Prufrock wrote:

See I of course accept that not every decision is completely based on risk. I will take your word utility. Sure. But my problem is that utility appears to be which rich businessmen can exert the most pressure on the Tory party, clearly not football clubs, or restauranteers...that’s for sure.
Don't think that's the main problem. I suspect it's more to do with everyone turning up at the same time, going for half time at the same time and leaving all at the same time (unless it's Wigan where they start leaving about 20 mins in) and obvs, it's not just football, it's other sports too. Bit like why 10 O Clock pub curfew was so heavily criticized, it congregates a lot of people all at once...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:51 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:00 pm
Prufrock wrote:

Don't think that's the main problem. I suspect it's more to do with everyone turning up at the same time, going for half time at the same time and leaving all at the same time (unless it's Wigan where they start leaving about 20 mins in) and obvs, it's not just football, it's other sports too. Bit like why 10 O Clock pub curfew was so heavily criticized, it congregates a lot of people all at once...
Yep I get that. But we are talking a few thousand going not a full ground. I don’t necessarily think it’s worth the risk on a wide scale but then you can’t justify people piling into shopping centres either.

The data shows that some activities that have been curtailed are safer statistically than others allowed to continue, now I agree with the utility argument, schools are high risk but makes absolute sense to prioritise them. Christmas shopping I’m far less convinced by any argument there...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:47 pm

Thank feck Boris a c*nt 🤣

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:39 pm

Looks like a lock-out for normal season - grounds able to open the week after we finish...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:45 pm

Playoff final is end of May...

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:08 pm

There are a lot of "ifs" in play here. But if that timescale stands, and if we go the distance and get into the playoffs - tickets damn well better be offered to ST holders first and foremost. For both the semis and the final.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:32 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:08 pm
There are a lot of "ifs" in play here. But if that timescale stands, and if we go the distance and get into the playoffs - tickets damn well better be offered to ST holders first and foremost. For both the semis and the final.
Don't think too many would disagree, certainly not I.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:35 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
For a home tie we’d be limited to around 6000 if my sums are right...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:27 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Yup...worry about it IF it happens. I’ve seen nowt that says we are playoff bound....yet🤞.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:49 pm

Barrow have released their figures for online subscriptions on ifollow.

Obviously as we're massive and that, we're top (2,108 to joint second Cambridge and Bradford on 1,312).

I knew Salford were a tin pot vanity project but for their 2 games against Barrow they were watched by 38 and 55. F*ck me. Next lowest was Crawley with 107 and only Barrow Scunthorpe and fellow vanity project FGR were under 300.

Presumably Worthy knows them all.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:28 pm

Are on line subscriptions in addition to season ticket holders who can watch home games? I'd assume Bradford have sold the most STs.

I'd be interested to know total viewing figures for our games. Eg did we have an away following last Saturday of 2000 virtual supporters ?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:14 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:49 pm

Obviously as we're massive and that, we're top (2,108 to joint second Cambridge and Bradford on 1,312).

I knew Salford were a tin pot vanity project but for their 2 games against Barrow they were watched by 38 and 55. F*ck me. Next lowest was Crawley with 107 and only Barrow Scunthorpe and fellow vanity project FGR were under 300.
Subscriptions or sales? I've bought every game (bar Salford which wasn't on) but I can't subscribe because UK.

EDIT
https://www.barrowafc.com/news/2021/feb ... wo-season/
They seem to be using "subs" and "viewers" interchangeably ("698 fans cheered the lads on virtually", "696 Bluebirds were watching" etc) but it's not very clearly explained.
Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 16.16.19.png
Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 16.16.19.png (1.49 MiB) Viewed 1767 times

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:56 pm

Prufrock wrote:

Presumably Worthy knows them all.
All ex-Redshite who don't want to pay the extortionate ticket prices at the DMB ground. I suspect like good ex-Reds, they only pretend they've ever been/watched them.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:58 pm

Yes I wasn't sure so was using subscriptions very loosely.

My best guess is that as their "away" numbers seem to be consistently higher than "home" that this is £10 purchases "on the day" as it were, i.e. doesn't include season ticket holders.

Which suggests Salford have about 20 season ticket holders :lol:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:27 pm

Salford don't use iFollow - They have their own version
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:08 am

Stop ruining my fun!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:39 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:14 pm
Prufrock wrote:

Subscriptions or sales? I've bought every game (bar Salford which wasn't on) but I can't subscribe because UK.

EDIT
https://www.barrowafc.com/news/2021/feb ... wo-season/
They seem to be using "subs" and "viewers" interchangeably ("698 fans cheered the lads on virtually", "696 Bluebirds were watching" etc) but it's not very clearly explained.

Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 16.16.19.png

I think it might have something to do with iFollow's wording. On the website, when you purchased a single match, you officially "subscribe" to it.