Vale of tiers: Port Vale (H), Division Four, Sat 6 Dec @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Vale of tiers: Port Vale (H), Division Four, Sat 6 Dec @ 3pm

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:08 pm

Crawford is joint fourth in the assists table - chap from port vale has just gone top!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:53 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:38 pm
The point I'm making Insano, is Crawford is a popular target. Despite what we've just seen, people still picking out Crawford as today's problem? There were much bigger problems today than Crawford.
Iles gave him a 3 in match ratings with ‘nowhere to be found’ as a comment and that’s been the problem all season. I’d agree that there were worse individual performances today but it’s the fact he’s not really been present for much of the season. He’s been carried.

Whereas Sarcevic who had a poor game today has scored some important goals and does in fairness usually put a hell of a shift in.
I've said drop.him. Multiple times. Iles gave Comley a 5.

He wasn't the biggest culprit behind today's defeat. Santos who's been great of late, Baptiste who's also been better of late, Kioso all had much poorer games than Crawford (and he rated all them three, too).

Santos looked like he'd been the wrong way through the re-Santos machine today. He was truly September vintage Santos.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:22 pm

I don't think it's a question of effort or application with Crawford. He's trying to play within the lines and he's the only one there given the system. He doesn't have the legs. Sarc is playing box to box with it in front of him, whereas people are around Crawford constantly. I'd rather we went more symmetrical with him and Sarc doing the same either side. Otherwise we need more legs in there. A, dare I say it Pratley-esque busy presser. Christ.

Ronan runs all day. He'd be in for me unless we tweak the system. Crawford can't find space on the ball and is a passenger off.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:44 pm

Is Ricardo Santos the new Zat Knight?

Can be absolutely top drawer at times but at others he's massively suspect?

Either way, today was a damn shame.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:54 pm

feck off Zara Knight was never top drawer!!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:54 pm

He might have been in D2! :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:46 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:54 pm
12 seasons in the top flight with 2 international honours would suggest he wasn't that bad. Not a fan personally but he had some good games which were massively overshadowed by the shockers he had.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:11 am

At least Santos doesn't cost £4million and £30k a week!
He's where he is for a reason. Like many in the lower leagues he lacks consistency for whatever reason. He'll have the odd stinker and spells of sub-par form.
He's been brilliant though, so I accept that. Crawford gets more stick for yesterday because he consistently underperforms. The others have been playing better so rightly get a pass.
It needs someone like Comley, but a version who can kick a ball to a teammate.
Tutte has been good but he'll be in and out due to physical limitations I think.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:13 am

I'm still.amazed that Crawford is so far up the assists table. Possibly because he's relied on as our main creator. Watching him for 90 minutes is frustrating though.
Certain stats don't tell the whole story, like some boring donkey midfielder having best pass completion stats because he makes loads of Chuckle Brothers passes on the halfway line.
I accept Crawford is doing something right if he's creating goals of course, but just doesn't seem that way when you watch the games.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:35 am

Also, looking for positives, what brilliant goal by Doyle.
And at least it wasn't against Tranmere.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:36 am

He has the ability to do more. If he used his undoubted talent well on a consistent basis he would be playing higher than league two. It’s bloody frustrating though. For me I would be signing a tough tackling no nonsense midfielder - some games I’d play them, Tutte and Sarcevic. Others, the two of Sarce and Crawford with Tutte or them.

Another Sunday morning where it’s embarrassing to be a Wanderer! I thought we had put those days behind us.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:46 am

I know what's to blame,

Where was the obligatory we'll shit em?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:24 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:36 am
He has the ability to do more. If he used his undoubted talent well on a consistent basis he would be playing higher than league two. It’s bloody frustrating though. For me I would be signing a tough tackling no nonsense midfielder - some games I’d play them, Tutte and Sarcevic. Others, the two of Sarce and Crawford with Tutte or them.

Another Sunday morning where it’s embarrassing to be a Wanderer! I thought we had put those days behind us.
That no-nonsense midfielder. I don't think on yesterday's showing Thomason is ready yet. Looked decent with ball at his feet, but his positional sense needs some work for me and he's currently lacking the physicality. You can get away with positional mis-steps on the wing, much harder as DM. So not convinced he's the answer to "Tutte's injured".

Part of the problem, is that we'd also struggle to cover Sarce anything like for like, and has been said Crawford has been a passenger the last few games.

So we defo need someone else with some presence.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:24 am

I think the thing that worries me the most is having seen the 3 of them In training Evatt picked Thomason. He said it himself post match he knew Vale would be physical - I hope it was was just naïveté - the majority of fans were saying pick Thomason cos he looks handy on the ball - but for the manager to do it does worry me. I know it’s a shot to Comley and White - you’ve not been good enough - and Comley really doesn’t look up to it ability wise but he wouldn’t have been bullied. The flip is that it’s now an obvious area to strengthen- and if we need to send White back to free up the squad space I would.

Yesterday certainly exposed our weaknesses- so it might help in the long run. Hope we can get through the next few games.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:34 am

Aye both Comley and White need a long hard look in the mirror, not sure there'll be much looking back at Comley. Longer term, we might send White back, but that's not going to help us next week...

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:56 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:34 am
Aye both Comley and White need a long hard look in the mirror, not sure there'll be much looking back at Comley. Longer term, we might send White back, but that's not going to help us next week...
We won 2-0 when they came on.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:53 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:38 pm
The point I'm making Insano, is Crawford is a popular target. Despite what we've just seen, people still picking out Crawford as today's problem? There were much bigger problems today than Crawford.
Iles gave him a 3 in match ratings with ‘nowhere to be found’ as a comment and that’s been the problem all season. I’d agree that there were worse individual performances today but it’s the fact he’s not really been present for much of the season. He’s been carried.

Whereas Sarcevic who had a poor game today has scored some important goals and does in fairness usually put a hell of a shift in.
I've said drop.him. Multiple times. Iles gave Comley a 5.

He wasn't the biggest culprit behind today's defeat. Santos who's been great of late, Baptiste who's also been better of late, Kioso all had much poorer games than Crawford (and he rated all them three, too).

Santos looked like he'd been the wrong way through the re-Santos machine today. He was truly September vintage Santos.
Yep to all that. For me our biggest weakness is the midfield. And it’s been that way even when we’ve won. The back three had an absolute mare. How much of that is down to Port Vale having a handful upfront vs us no protection in midfield vs how poor individuals were...it’s something Evatt needs answers for.

Thomason looks a horribly naive selection though. Whilst we all know we didn’t really have a good Tutte option it seems pretty glaring to have picked an underdeveloped kid to play in that role against a physically robust team. Comley has been poor and may have not changed the result at all, but I guess was the pick when you look at what Port Vale offered...

My biggest fear is I was not shocked by yesterday even though we’ve had a good run it honestly worries me how we’d do against a side who could occupy Santos and play down the channels. We saw early doors how even poor sides like Bradford had success against us doing that....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:50 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:56 am
Worthy4England wrote:
We won 5 on the bounce with Crawford playing...jsl. ;-)

I think there might be potential in White, less certain around Comley. Either way, if the manager thinks that an untried youngster is a better starting bet, it suggests Evatt thinks they need a look at themselves.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:50 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:56 am
Worthy4England wrote:
We won 5 on the bounce with Crawford playing...jsl. ;-)

I think there might be potential in White, less certain around Comley. Either way, if the manager thinks that an untried youngster is a better starting bet, it suggests Evatt thinks they need a look at themselves.
It also suggests we need to fecking sign someone in that position in January.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:39 pm

^^