Will it be blazing saddles down at the Bank's? Walsall away 12-12-20. 3-O'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will it be blazing saddles down at the Bank's? Walsall away 12-12-20. 3-O'clock

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:21 pm

What happened with 'handy for the station' boy? Livescore saying he came on then pretty much went straight back off.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will it be blazing saddles down at the Bank's? Walsall away 12-12-20. 3-O'clock

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:21 pm
What happened with 'handy for the station' boy? Livescore saying he came on then pretty much went straight back off.
He remembered he'd forgotten to put the cat out, so had to rush home.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:25 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:21 pm
He remembered he'd forgotten to put the cat out, so had to rush home.
😁

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:30 pm

I do like Evatt but I do also feel that he is whinging it, he talks the talk but is incapable of changing anything on match days - whether that is down to the lack of options in the squad or his own limited ability.

With the attacking players we have Doyle, Fonz, Crawford, Sarce etc. we should not be losing to Walsall after leading the game - as others have said normal service has been resumed, we are just so shit & leaderless from top to bottom, it feels to me like the whole club from top to bottom are whinging it. I'm not sure what if anything Phoenix did but he was behind our recruitment & new 'so called' money ball approach yet a few months into the season he's potted - do FV actually have a clue on the football side of things ?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:43 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:30 pm
I do like Evatt but I do also feel that he is whinging it, he talks the talk but is incapable of changing anything on match days - whether that is down to the lack of options in the squad or his own limited ability.

With the attacking players we have Doyle, Fonz, Crawford, Sarce etc. we should not be losing to Walsall after leading the game - as others have said normal service has been resumed, we are just so shit & leaderless from top to bottom, it feels to me like the whole club from top to bottom are whinging it. I'm not sure what if anything Phoenix did but he was behind our recruitment & new 'so called' money ball approach yet a few months into the season he's potted - do FV actually have a clue on the football side of things ?
The wider club is irrelevant in this discussion. We are losing games because the manager is unable to have a side up for the scrap. Whether that’s tactics or motivation or man management or a combination of all three...Evatt is just failing. The midfield picked today as per last week is a nonsense. Three attacking mids. Only one of them should be playing then two actual midfield players behind them. It’s not rocket science. We are out battled by actual midfields. It’s all a bit Owen Coyle sadly.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:03 pm

I'm not sure that its solely down to Evatt but this team are certainly not up for a scrap, again we don't know whether the players are Evatt's or Phoenix's but regardless between them they have recruited a squad of proper mard arse choir boy players.

I've said it previously I think that there is only Doyle in this squad that would hold his own on the pitch, the rest to a man are soft arses - we desperately need a couple of players maybe a CB & DM in January who are a bit nasty & won't be bullied and will give it back in a physical game.

These lot just roll over for their bellies to be tickled when confronted by a combative / physical team, If Evatt hasn't seen this and doesn't address this in January then he really is out of his depth, as its obvious to anyone who watches us play.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:29 pm

We’ve got some decent players as well as Doyle. Delf, Sarcevic, Tutte, even the awake version of Santos are all great in this league. He’s just unwilling to mix up that midfield when we need to grind a result out...wants to play his way and only his way.

I’d go back to 451 next week and if that meant dropping Santos so be it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:30 pm

I'm not sure it's a simple conundrum. In the first half, we were winning the first and second balls, header count was all us, we bagged most of our tackles, from the stats at half time...then as commentary said, we stopped. On 38/40 minutes. Was like they all decided not to bother at the same time. 2nd half they all went Christmas shopping...

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:40 pm

By the way when do we start to play like Barrowcelona ?….just asking for a mate.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:56 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:40 pm
By the way when do we start to play like Barrowcelona ?….just asking for a mate.
Dear Bertie,

Please tell your friend we're 9 points in front of Barrowcelona.

Merry Christmas

#BWFCMarketing Dept

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:59 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:30 pm
I'm not sure it's a simple conundrum. In the first half, we were winning the first and second balls, header count was all us, we bagged most of our tackles, from the stats at half time...then as commentary said, we stopped. On 38/40 minutes. Was like they all decided not to bother at the same time. 2nd half they all went Christmas shopping...
Teams sometimes let us play. Once they start getting in the mix is when I find we struggle.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:59 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:30 pm
Teams sometimes let us play. Once they start getting in the mix is when I find we struggle.
They do, 'tis true. But we were streets ahead on all the defensive stats first half. That's not letting us play, that's us winning 1 v 1 battles. That's pretty reflective of the first 40 minutes...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:04 am

However badly we might have played, or weakly failed to compete, that was a really obvious foul before the cross for their equaliser. Very poor refereeing to allow a blatant elbow.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:10 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:04 am
However badly we might have played, or weakly failed to compete, that was a really obvious foul before the cross for their equaliser. Very poor refereeing to allow a blatant elbow.
Aye - wasn't the lino down.in the corner too? It's so obvious, not even a 50/50 shoulder charge or owt.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:26 am

Aye. You go in at 1-0 and the second half might go differently. Definitely another one for the shafted by the shitty refs column.

Tell you what, a blind (or one eyed) Cnut of a red is not getting away with that with fans in the ground either. 2,000 travelling whites would have helped get us some parity second half.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:47 am

There is more than enough here to be doing way way better. Top scorer from last season, one of the better midfield players from this league, Crawford who looked a class above in league one, experience in Baptiste, Santos who looks at times way above this level, Delaney a solid sort if used properly, Darcy who like Ali looked better than most last season a league higher, Fonz who I doubt will play many seasons below league one, Kioso from a championship club, I could go on...

The failings are on Evatt. The system, tactics and management are all wrong.

People used to very vehemently argue we were better than Parky had us playing when we as a championship side had a load of freebies and no hopers up against teams spending tens of millions on their squads. I shudder to think what Evatt would do in a similar situation.

Stop the excuses Evatt. Walsall knew our weakness and exploited it. So will every other team. To play football you first need to earn the right. Saying you don’t want to ‘be like them’ is an embarrassment. The ONLY thing that matters is the result. And you are currently failing. And failing badly. Own it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:30 am

Errr, I think most of the should be playing better narrative with Parky in charge was our year in League 1. But, I think you've argued pretty much all managers should've done better with what they had, apart from Parky.

But to the matter in hand. I think many teams would be happy to have Doyle, Delf, Sarce, Crawford on their books at the start of the season. Add to that Santos, we've seen what he can do flat track and maybe Gilks who apart from age and the odd kick hasn't done much wrong. I personally don't rate Baptiste, never have, but not unreasonable at this level. Kioso generally looks good for this level.

So on balance, I'd expect us to look a lot less frail than we do and performing better.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:30 am
Errr, I think most of the should be playing better narrative with Parky in charge was our year in League 1. But, I think you've argued pretty much all managers should've done better with what they had, apart from Parky.

But to the matter in hand. I think many teams would be happy to have Doyle, Delf, Sarce, Crawford on their books at the start of the season. Add to that Santos, we've seen what he can do flat track and maybe Gilks who apart from age and the odd kick hasn't done much wrong. I personally don't rate Baptiste, never have, but not unreasonable at this level. Kioso generally looks good for this level.

So on balance, I'd expect us to look a lot less frail than we do and performing better.
I think we agree. I’m not sure every manager had players to do better. Coyle for example, did initially probably overachieve but then made a series of appalling decisions in the market and with the squad generally. Freedman probably overachieved with a very poor squad initially. Lennon similarly probably did better initially than what he had available.

Big Sam of course of constantly overachieved. Megson probably did about average in terms of what we had available.

Evatt for me should stop wanging on about how we play and focus on producing results. If that means changing how we setup and focus on the points then absolutely. For me we have needlessly thrown away a lot of points chasing some sort of purity that will never be achieved. If plan a isn’t working then you need a plan b.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:14 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:20 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:15 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:10 pm
That was very hard to watch. Mentally fragile, physically weak, naive, little technique or creativity.

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact we were just one point away from the play-offs half an hour in, or that we recently won five matches in a row, but we have big problems to sort out.
Gotta beat what's in front but wasn't our winning run, the bottom 4 and someone's U23's? Forgot, Salford were in there...

Yes, worryingly.

Further to this, our record against the bottom eight reads:

P8 W5 D3 L0 = PPG 2.25

Against the rest it reads:

P9 W1 D1 L7 = PPG 0.4

That's quite a polarised set of results.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:48 pm

Wow. It sorta felt a bit like that, but that's fairly stark.