Flashbacks to 'Nam... Chelt'nam (A) Tue 15 Dec 7.45pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Flashbacks to 'Nam... Chelt'nam (A) Tue 15 Dec 7.45pm

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:45 am

Aye. Had I been sent offered a point at 60 mins, I would probably have taken up the offer, but that wasn't because we'd just done the "turn off" trick, just because our attacking had become a lot more sporadic and a lot less structured. Delighted with all three.

Equally it was a bit difficult to understand why they were second, they didn't look all that and a bag of chips either, but a lot less physicality than Port Vale.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:28 pm

Going forward Vale were the best side I’ve seen this season. Defensively though? I said it during the game - I think Cheltenham were well organised. They turn throw ins into set pieces and in the first half created a few opportunities by shifting it forward quickly and catching us flat footed with a through ball. Neither team looked holding onto the ball in midfield - plenty of unforced errors. I wont be surprised if they are top 7.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:43 pm

Saw a new side yesterday. One with a lot of guts unlike the softness seen in previous games. Players showed character. We do have a soft middle and need a ball winner. Hopefully the player on trial solves that problem. Isgrove makes a huge difference with his nonstop running. Gives us more than Crawford. A season turning victory. With this sort of fight, once again hope restores itself.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:04 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:43 pm
Saw a new side yesterday. One with a lot of guts unlike the softness seen in previous games. Players showed character. We do have a soft middle and need a ball winner. Hopefully the player on trial solves that problem. Isgrove makes a huge difference with his nonstop running. Gives us more than Crawford. A season turning victory. With this sort of fight, once again hope restores itself.
I think Isgrove deserves more time in that role to see how he adapts. My observations around him were - sometimes he looked like he couldn't spell it, other times he looked good and he's very fast. We were still lacking in attacking direction overall without the Kioso outball...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:33 pm

Neither Greening nor Mascoll looked like the answer at LWB. I'd expect Gethin to switch back out there when Peter K reappears this weekend, but he's still only a short-term fix.

Wonder how close Kieran Lee is, because his arrival (or Tutte's return) will free up Thomason. I'd be intrigued to see a midfield three of Tutte-or-Lee behind Sarce and Thommo, but that would exclude Crawford or Isgrove (who I wasn't entirely convinced by but will happily give chance to impress).

Cheltenham (2nd) looked like nowt much, just like Cambridge (top when we played them) didn't. If we can maintain that defensive organisation and get a bit more regularly threatening on the ball – having a left side would help – then our worst enemy is ourself.

And it still looks like a rebuild job in January. Evatt brought on Mascoll because Greenidge was drowning, but that was the only sub for a second hard away game in four days. He clearly doesn't rate many of his options and he might want a post-Phoenix clearout.

Three points behind the playoffs with 84 points left to play for.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:33 pm
Neither Greening nor Mascoll looked like the answer at LWB. I'd expect Gethin to switch back out there when Peter K reappears this weekend, but he's still only a short-term fix.

Wonder how close Kieran Lee is, because his arrival (or Tutte's return) will free up Thomason. I'd be intrigued to see a midfield three of Tutte-or-Lee behind Sarce and Thommo, but that would exclude Crawford or Isgrove (who I wasn't entirely convinced by but will happily give chance to impress).

Cheltenham (2nd) looked like nowt much, just like Cambridge (top when we played them) didn't. If we can maintain that defensive organisation and get a bit more regularly threatening on the ball – having a left side would help – then our worst enemy is ourself.

And it still looks like a rebuild job in January. Evatt brought on Mascoll because Greenidge was drowning, but that was the only sub for a second hard away game in four days. He clearly doesn't rate many of his options and he might want a post-Phoenix clearout.

Three points behind the playoffs with 84 points left to play for.
That might be an interesting MF line-up - with the possibility of Lee still in the mix when Tutte has recovered...I agree with you on Isgrove.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:18 pm

From what I’ve seen this seasons Tuttes a definite starter. Thomason and Sarce would play with him. Lee would come in for young George when ready. Poor Ronan Darcy! Crawford will hopefully get his head right and take his next chance.

I can’t work out where to play Isgrove. I liked him in parts - but in others he was wasteful with the ball in the middle of the pitch. He gives us a proper 343 option though and Delf can play in both 352 and 343.