Can we give the Cumbrians, the blues? Carlisle away Sat 26th Dec.3-0 clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Can we give the Cumbrians, the blues? Carlisle away Sat 26th Dec.3-0 clock.

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:37 pm

I agree. And the fact that’s another game we’ve come back from the dead in says to me we have ‘character’ and ‘passion’ - or at least Evatt has them playing for each other. I do find it odd that I have seen Iles match feeds for away games comment more than once that we’ve only just turned up - meaning we’d normally be there by now. I think one was Harrogate so it might not mean anything but I do find it odd and it’s easy for a novice like me to point to it when we concede twice in the first ten minutes.

There’s fight there and it’s hard to argue for it sometimes but I really hope Ian Evatt proves worth that he was given a chance like Allardyce was.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:39 pm

Well that was a nice surprise. 😁
Fell.into a hungover slumber at 2 nil and woke up after it was all over genuinely worried it might be another 6 or 7 spanking.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:41 pm

A few positives.

Today's game had a 90 mph wind. We scored into it. They didn't.

We were 3-0 down at one point. We drew.

No injuries. Only one red card. Referee was on a mission today.

Greenidge looked composed and changed the left wing when he replaced Delaney.

Thomason scored his 1st for the club.

We had 3 penalty chances, all turned away. We got into some good positions.

We didn't give up.

We got a point against 2nd at their gaff.

Tutte lasted 90 minutes and it's another point.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:44 pm

It's a strange league, this. Or do I mean healthy?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:45 pm

What a comeback, I didn't see that at 3-0 down. They certainly showed some spirit & passion in the last 10-15 mins which was good to see and so close to a winner at the end, but that 1st half was absolutely shocking, it was garbage it really was - why do we make so many 'amateur' defensive mistakes, why are we so bad at set pieces (both ends of the pitch) and why do we generally start games so slowly & poorly. I know it sounds a bit daft after coming back from 3-0 down but why cant they start games with more intensity, its always so lethargic.

I really hope that is true what DSB has posted about a new 1st team coach, because IMO its much needed. Evatt needs help quickly.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:54 pm

Refs are piss poor as well. Does feel like you are playing against 12 men when you are trying to play a bit of football.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:57 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:44 pm
I always find leagues healthier when you can't predict them at season's start, especially when (or expressly because) spending doesn't necessarily correlate to league position.

I'd much rather play in a competition where anyone can beat anyone than a closed shop. Some might disagree (HMS PTL etc) but weirdly it sometimes works in our favour: for the third time this season, we've gone to a top-three team and come away with a point or three.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:00 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:45 pm
I really hope that is true what DSB has posted about a new 1st team coach, because IMO its much needed. Evatt needs help quickly.
Think Iles was talking about it on the podcast the other week, too. Skeleton staff on the coaching ground, and only partly related to the ongoing Academy reshape.

Essentially last season at Barrow it was Evatt, Atherton and Lewis Duckmanton (part-time analyst and emergency goalkeeper coach). I guess in the original DoF structure we might just get away with Evatt, Atherton and Gilks (with Duckmanton also still around) but if Evatt is stepping up then we need more on board, inside the club (coaches) and outside (scouts).

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:07 pm

They have had lee, McCann and others on furlough haven’t they? It’s a fecking weird season this - we are getting no income when we would be due crowds of circa 10,000. There’s no home advantage (indeed it’s possibly a disadvantage as others are raising games) and there’s a whole squad of new players who can’t socialize outside of work to help. Clearly some (Gordon, Taft) haven’t settled. Who knows what else is happening behind scenes.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:07 pm

Anyone else think Crawford might be off?

Bit strange he didn't come on in the second half.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:17 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:07 pm
They have had lee, McCann and others on furlough haven’t they? It’s a fecking weird season this - we are getting no income when we would be due crowds of circa 10,000. There’s no home advantage (indeed it’s possibly a disadvantage as others are raising games) and there’s a whole squad of new players who can’t socialize outside of work to help. Clearly some (Gordon, Taft) haven’t settled. Who knows what else is happening behind scenes.
My journalistic spidey-senses tell me there is a biggish story regarding the academy shake-up. I don't know what it is or whether it will come out, but it's been a strangely long time deciding what to do. We cut back for this season and we're nearly halfway through it. Contract payoff negotiations, maybe, or people clinging onto desks by their bloodied fingernails. I do hope there's a plan, because FV – while inexperienced – do seem to have plans in most spheres (and are willing to change them – ask Tobias).

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:21 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:57 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:44 pm
I always find leagues healthier when you can't predict them at season's start, especially when (or expressly because) spending doesn't necessarily correlate to league position.

I'd much rather play in a competition where anyone can beat anyone than a closed shop. Some might disagree (HMS PTL etc) but weirdly it sometimes works in our favour: for the third time this season, we've gone to a top-three team and come away with a point or three.

Without a doubt. There will, and should, always be the possibility of a genuinely well-drilled, well-coached team dominating any league, but the more level the playing field the more interest I find myself having.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:30 pm

DJBlu wrote:

Thought occurred. Also maybe Darcy who seems to be a long way down Evatt's picking order

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:30 pm
DJBlu wrote:

Thought occurred. Also maybe Darcy who seems to be a long way down Evatt's picking order
Two players proven at a higher level. Ok Crawford’s injury may be an issue but I’d suggest not getting the best out of either or both of these lads is a failure.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:37 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

Two players proven at a higher level. Ok Crawford’s injury may be an issue but I’d suggest not getting the best out of either or both of these lads is a failure.

I'm surprised Evatt hasn't made more use of Darcy, to be honest. He has a first touch and close control that I think is better than possibly every other player we have, and that I think would really benefit our efforts to get forward quicker.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:59 pm

Feels like we're on a fine edge. Work through and eradicate some of our many faults and we'll be a side to be reckoned with playing good footy.

Keep repeating the calamities and we'll drift to seasons end with a few more heavy defeats and our better players will want out.

There's definitely something there. Stick with it and hopefully this time next year we'll be rewarded with swashbuckling, successful footy.
Keep the faith.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:00 pm

What would football be if it were predictable? I've been a lifetime trying to find out.One season we haul back Bayern Munich, one we get tanked by Forest Green Rovers. Today we weren't at the races, three goals down and finished; we play away, score three and grab a point from a team above us with a team that hardly know each other's names, have two penalty appeals turned down, have the manager booked and a player sent off for what? Where else can you get this outside a Sherlock Holmes novel...? COME ON YOU WHITES.... :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:33 am

Could we not appeal Kioso’s red card? I don’t know if anyone’s got a clip of the first booking, but from what I can recall it was a clean tackle. I’d definitely be taking it to the league if we can.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:41 am

Can’t appeal two yellows. Be nice if we got a ref who could see on tuesday

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:37 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

Not sure how "proven" Darcy is tbf. I know he played a few last season, but getting game time in a team that for most part couldn't put a glove on the opposition is a bit different than proven for me.

But to the point about not getting the best out of players, Steve Eyre in commentary had been pointing out that the system didn't seem to work for neither Crawford nor then Isgrove (it doesn't really work for Brockbank and Jones either and a lot of the time Delf and Doyle are bystanders). I think we went to something more akin to 442 when Baptiste was swapped for Isgrove and whilst we still showed some defensive frailty, we looked better going forward as we weren't entirely swamped in mf.

My view is that you have to tailor the system to the personnel, I've not changed in that view.