We've all come a long way: Crawley (H) Sat 2 Jan @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: We've all come a long way: Crawley (H) Sat 2 Jan @ 3pm

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:33 pm

We keep saying we don't have the players to play a different formation, but we don't have the players playing this one very well either!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:34 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:33 pm
We keep saying we don't have the players to play a different formation, but we don't have the players playing this one very well either!
Which is why this is a huge month for Evatt.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:38 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:29 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:07 pm
Can you imagine if Parky, Megson or Freedman served up even a tenth of the shite Evatt is? Just a tenth. This is embarrassingly appalling. The worst wanker since Coyle. Talks absolute bullshit. Sends out a team clearly not having a clue how to play. He’s the luckiest manager in history to still be in a job. I don’t think anyone would have been afforded the chances he’s had. Game after game he’s given yet another chance to sort out himself and again and again and again he fails. Imagine this with fans in the stadium? If any even bothered turning up for the bloat turgid pointless football I can remember.
I’d not give him a penny to spend. An utter wanker who is taking the piss. Just resign and take your pseudo psychological Scientology bollocks with you.
You're just descending into the irrational spiral of hate towards the man.

Dare I say we had 24 shots and 7 on target, but for a goalkeeper on a mission we probably would have beaten them.

Today alone you have mentioned,

4-4-2. 4-3-3. Hit it long. We need more width. It's not the players nor the system, the players must have released themselves from the system? The display was abysmal. Pace in the corners. Back three.

The guy has no chance as you don't agree with anything he's doing and you're jumping on every moment it goes awry. Again you arrive after our decent start, berate everything and then continue to blame the man in the seat. He's always fighting a losing battle as you don't see anything he does as a success.

The man has how many coaches available? Who bought the players? These you won't accept as excuses as you say he shouldn't get a penny.

If all you want is for manager after manager then you might as well sign up to twitter and go vent with the others.
It’s about results. He started by telling us all we’d win the league. We are now near the bottom of league 2. Explain how anyone can with a straight face he’s not been a disaster. It’s shocking this. And I’m sick of it. We are awful to watch. Results are dreadful and it’s the worst Bolton side I’ve watched. By a mile. And that takes some doing. It’s really very simple. Thus far we’ve been shocking. And Evatt has talked nonsense. There isn’t an excuse for the performances or results. Not one. Most worryingly you see the exact same bullshit Owen Coyle used to produce. Teams that look completely unsure what they are doing. Talks about stuff midweek that never actually transpires on the pitch.

There isn’t one tangible piece of evidence that he knows what he’s doing not one. He’s not done it for years elsewhere whereby you could argue he has form for turning it round. He’s completely out of his depth. And yet he had some of the better players from this division last year to pick from. Parky was called all sorts when we had nothing in a squad, crooked Ken as owner and were playing teams spending tens of million. Now we are losing to teams like Port Vale at home and they are putting 6 past us. It’s awful. Depressing. And I’m angry. He needs to be held to account.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:40 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:34 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Which is why this is a huge month for Evatt.
Aye, I'm not locked and loaded yet, but January always feels very hit and miss in terms of finding what a team needs. I'm not shouting for 442 in general, but he needs to find something that works for what he ends up with, better than this.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:42 pm

DJBlu I rarely agree with BWFCI but some of the things he has said about the current situation are right (although he is very angry !)

Do you know the reason why we have no coaches, do you know whether it was Phoenix or Evatt who brought this dross in ?, I don't think that you or any of us know. I'm sure that we would all like to give Evatt time to build something at BWFC & I actually like him and really want him to succeed - but there is absolutely no sign of any progress week after week, same shit, same mistakes, same lack of motivation, same tactical inexperience every week.

I've wrote off this season, but I'm not happy with Evatt as he comes across like a very naïve one trick pony. In fact I'm really disappointed in Evatt, he promised a lot & has delivered absolutely fcuk all - but I will give him until Xmas next year, but why I really don't know.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:43 pm

From what I have seen and read on here, Bolton fans are more patient than I originally thought. My patience ended many games ago, not so much the team but, the way Evatt wants his players to play. When will he realise those players are not good enough to play that way.
We need a pair of midfielders and someone to compliment Doyle otherwise promotion will long be out of reach.
Apart from a couple, this current crop of players are no where good enough for the club and this league.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:48 pm

I think we are carrying Santos- formation is designed to suit him.
Drop him and play a 442/433.

I’m also not turning on to watch the same shite again. These next two months are going to be depressing enough. We’re not finishing top half this season - I’ll be happy with any position that starts with a 1 I think..

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:38 pm
DJBlu wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Can you imagine if Parky, Megson or Freedman served up even a tenth of the shite Evatt is? Just a tenth. This is embarrassingly appalling. The worst wanker since Coyle. Talks absolute bullshit. Sends out a team clearly not having a clue how to play. He’s the luckiest manager in history to still be in a job. I don’t think anyone would have been afforded the chances he’s had. Game after game he’s given yet another chance to sort out himself and again and again and again he fails. Imagine this with fans in the stadium? If any even bothered turning up for the bloat turgid pointless football I can remember.
I’d not give him a penny to spend. An utter wanker who is taking the piss. Just resign and take your pseudo psychological Scientology bollocks with you.

Dare I say we had 24 shots and 7 on target, but for a goalkeeper on a mission we probably would have beaten them.

4-4-2. 4-3-3. Hit it long. We need more width. It's not the players nor the system, the players must have released themselves from the system? The display was abysmal. Pace in the corners. Back three.

The guy has no chance as you don't agree with anything he's doing and you're jumping on every moment it goes awry. Again you arrive after our decent start, berate everything and then continue to blame the man in the seat. He's always fighting a losing battle as you don't see anything he does as a success.

The man has how many coaches available? Who bought the players? These you won't accept as excuses as you say he shouldn't get a penny.

If all you want is for manager after manager then you might as well sign up to twitter and go vent with the others.
It’s about results. He started by telling us all we’d win the league. We are now near the bottom of league 2. Explain how anyone can with a straight face he’s not been a disaster. It’s shocking this. And I’m sick of it. We are awful to watch. Results are dreadful and it’s the worst Bolton side I’ve watched. By a mile. And that takes some doing. It’s really very simple. Thus far we’ve been shocking. And Evatt has talked nonsense. There isn’t an excuse for the performances or results. Not one. Most worryingly you see the exact same bullshit Owen Coyle used to produce. Teams that look completely unsure what they are doing. Talks about stuff midweek that never actually transpires on the pitch.

There isn’t one tangible piece of evidence that he knows what he’s doing not one. He’s not done it for years elsewhere whereby you could argue he has form for turning it round. He’s completely out of his depth. And yet he had some of the better players from this division last year to pick from. Parky was called all sorts when we had nothing in a squad, crooked Ken as owner and were playing teams spending tens of million. Now we are losing to teams like Port Vale at home and they are putting 6 past us. It’s awful. Depressing. And I’m angry. He needs to be held to account.
Bits of this I agree with. It's a results business and we need to show (even if it's slowly) that we're progressing which I'm a long way from convinced about. By extension whether he knows what he's doing is pretty subjective.

On the "worst football" thing, undoubtedly the other managers you mention afforded better players than people like Gnahoua, Crellin and Gordon. Some of these are barely footballers. Sometimes when we attack, it looks good, stringing passes together, a fair way off some of the lump it we've previously seen from some managers.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:53 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:42 pm
DJBlu I rarely agree with BWFCI but some of the things he has said about the current situation are right (although he is very angry !)

Do you know the reason why we have no coaches, do you know whether it was Phoenix or Evatt who brought this dross in ?, I don't think that you or any of us know. I'm sure that we would all like to give Evatt time to build something at BWFC & I actually like him and really want him to succeed - but there is absolutely no sign of any progress week after week, same shit, same mistakes, same lack of motivation, same tactical inexperience every week.

I've wrote off this season, but I'm not happy with Evatt as he comes across like a very naïve one trick pony. In fact I'm really disappointed in Evatt, he promised a lot & has delivered absolutely fcuk all - but I will give him until Xmas next year, but why I really don't know.
Furlough. Phoenix signings as it was his role and the fact Evatt's role has changed since he left.
The tactical inexperience was working in the first 15 minutes and beyond when we conceded. 24 shots of which 7 were on target.
We aren't a bad side when we turn it on. It's the turning it on that's a problem. We don't know what side we're going to get.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:00 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:48 pm
I’m also not turning on to watch the same shite again.
We won't find out, but I'd be genuinely intrigued to see the iFollow viewing numbers over the season...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:01 pm

Putting aside formations and the like, I ask myself do I think FV will be happy that their investment has us 15th in League 2? I reckon they're more disappointed than happy. Based on no knowledge of them whatsoever. :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:50 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:38 pm
DJBlu wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Bits of this I agree with. It's a results business and we need to show (even if it's slowly) that we're progressing which I'm a long way from convinced about. By extension whether he knows what he's doing is pretty subjective.

On the "worst football" thing, undoubtedly the other managers you mention afforded better players than people like Gnahoua, Crellin and Gordon. Some of these are barely footballers. Sometimes when we attack, it looks good, stringing passes together, a fair way off some of the lump it we've previously seen from some managers.
How many managers previously had the top scorer from the league they were in and player of the season from a side that won promotion? Relatively speaking I think he has riches to pick from relative to where we are compared to others who came before him. I certainly think when I look at the squad he wasn’t complaining before the season started. He was telling us all how good we were. Had he been doing an Allardyce and moaning about the quality before organising us to a lot of results then I’d have some sympathy. But for me it’s rewriting history to say he’s been foisted with a poor squad beyond his control.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:08 pm

Athertonian wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:43 pm
From what I have seen and read on here, Bolton fans are more patient than I originally thought. My patience ended many games ago, not so much the team but, the way Evatt wants his players to play. When will he realise those players are not good enough to play that way.
We need a pair of midfielders and someone to compliment Doyle otherwise promotion will long be out of reach.
Apart from a couple, this current crop of players are no where good enough for the club and this league.
He has already said in the past few weeks that they aren't and they'll be off.

We dominated the first 15 and the last 30. This is the issue. Inconsistency with effort and ability. There was almost an "oh feck" moment when we conceded. That effort is what is required all the time. Look at Sarcevic when we haven't scored within the first 15 minutes. Evatt knows this and rotates the players through(Crawford an example). The trouble is how do you guess who's going to let you down?

We're all full of hind sight on here and we expect nothing less than 100%. We're in League 2, built up as this team that is too good for the league. Admittedly Evatt could have tempered the expectation however we're under embargo following the worst period of my time following the team. I assume the man has given his system and asked for players to fit it. What ever was done didn't work and we'll see what happens this month.

Another 12 months of the embargo and a salary cap. Joy of joys.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
This. A hundred times this.

Square pegs in round holes. He obviously believes wholeheartedly in this system, which is fine if you have wingbacks at the club. We have 1.

I think I'd be happier if he was playing players in their natural positions and we were scraping points here and there. As it is, you just know our next game will see the same formation and the Titanic deckchair shuffling will see some other sap being asked to do a wingback job that he's not capable of doing. Except for Darcy, Hickman or Taft obviously.

Dry January is going to be feckin hard again.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:11 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:08 pm
Athertonian wrote:

We dominated the first 15 and the last 30. This is the issue. Inconsistency with effort and ability. There was almost an "oh feck" moment when we conceded. That effort is what is required all the time. Look at Sarcevic when we haven't scored within the first 15 minutes. Evatt knows this and rotates the players through(Crawford an example). The trouble is how do you guess who's going to let you down?

We're all full of hind sight on here and we expect nothing less than 100%. We're in League 2, built up as this team that is too good for the league. Admittedly Evatt could have tempered the expectation however we're under embargo following the worst period of my time following the team. I assume the man has given his system and asked for players to fit it. What ever was done didn't work and we'll see what happens this month.

The salary cap makes no difference to us. League two caps wages across the board anyway.

Embargo hasn’t stopped us getting top scorer from the league has it?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:11 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:01 pm
Putting aside formations and the like, I ask myself do I think FV will be happy that their investment has us 15th in League 2? I reckon they're more disappointed than happy. Based on no knowledge of them whatsoever. :-)
I don't think they'll be ecstatic, but I don't think they'll be willing to pay off the bloke they bought for £300,000 in the summer and hand the reins to someone who might want a whole new squad.

Then again, they have proven themselves capable of changing their minds – ask Keith Hill, Irfan Kawri and Tobias Phoenix. But this would be a bigger call than all those put together, IMO.

In the end it doesn't matter whether we finish eighth or 22nd. But just as happened at this time last year, the manager might have found the budget more amenable if he'd gone into this window on a winning run.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:13 pm

It's no good having the best 2 players in the league if the rest are shite. We had to put a whole squad together in the summer. Both gambles at lwb didn't work and so we're stuck with square pegs in one of the most important positions in the team.

You can certainly criticise him for sticking with it but tbf no other combination jumps out as being obvious. It's not like Coyle where it's blindingly obvious. It also seen clear that LWB and central midfield, two of the problem areas, are targets this window.

As long as we stay shy of relegation, he gets January and the summer for me.

It's no use saying we've got to give managers time then wanting rid when it goes wrong. They don't need time when it's going well!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:13 pm
It's no good having the best 2 players in the league if the rest are shite. We had to put a whole squad together in the summer. Both gambles at lwb didn't work and so we're stuck with square pegs in one of the most important positions in the team.

You can certainly criticise him for sticking with it but tbf no other combination jumps out as being obvious. It's not like Coyle where it's blindingly obvious. It also seen clear that LWB and central midfield, two of the problem areas, are targets this window.

It's no use saying we've got to give managers time then wanting rid when it goes wrong. They don't need time when it's going well!
Judgment though. If we let Evatt waste this whole season and then take us into the next that’s two seasons in the bottom league. We can’t afford that. FV can’t afford that. We should be competing at the top end this season. Next season it’s beyond an imperative. Sticking with a manager looks good if they turn it round but in our position is a complete unmitigated disaster if the wrong call. His complete lack of experience is the biggest issue. We have no idea if he can turn it round because there is no evidence of his managerial ability. Statistically it’s a tiny chance.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:18 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:13 pm

Aye. There's nowt else to do, so humour me, people: who would you pick, in which formation, in the next game? Like you, I'm yet to see an alternative that feels worth the ol' Year Zero.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:11 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:08 pm
Athertonian wrote:

The salary cap makes no difference to us. League two caps wages across the board anyway.

Embargo hasn’t stopped us getting top scorer from the league has it?
Explain how it doesn't? We have a team that is not good enough, how do we sort it?

Eoin Doyle was a free and signed before the league cap but you knew that.