Exeter Expects. Exeter City v Bolton (A) - 19:00 - 12th Jan

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Exeter Expects. Exeter City v Bolton (A) - 19:00 - 12th Jan

Post by Spartan2 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:04 am

If Evatt goes 352 and we lose he's done for me, I want to believe he knows what he's doing but there isn't a lot to back it up. We could/should have switched to a 433 months ago and I suspect a good manager would have started the season like that with the players we have. The 352 is ridiculous, we are exposed all over the pitch, players playing out of position constantly, both in formation and due to the opposition. Terrible at set plays the list goes on. He has no excuses in the quality of the squad, both because he's responsible for it, but more so because we have good players.

Delf, Doyle, Tutte and Crawford are all above league 2 level. And now you can add Lee and John to that list.
People might see it differently but I would add Darcy, Brockbank, Thomason and Kioso to it too, although young and inexperienced and perhaps a little lightweight they are by no means average league two players. I'd say Jones, Sarce, Delany and Isgrove are all top end League 2 players.

So depending on who you're counting that's a total of 14 quality players. 6-10 who are higher than league two level, and 4-8 who are top end league two quality. Now okay not all of those players have been available and Kioso has buggered off, (so 13) but there are no excuses. He's been backed by the board, he has good players at his disposal, he needs to win games.

------------Doyle
---Delfo------------Kioso
------------Sarce
---------Lee----Tutte
John--Delaney--Santos--Jones

I think that team would have pissed this league. I can't really see how it doesn't win every game. Its absolute bollocks that John is injured and Kioso has left. But we still have quality, I'd swap Brockbank for John and Darcy for Kioso and leave it at that.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:21 am

I think there will be a lot of frustration if he picks a back 3 with out of position wing backs. But there’s as much chance of a decent league two side turning over our lot with a 451/4231 - we ain’t that great. We’re missing two unknowns, our best out ball up the field, Santos hasn’t convinced me at all and our keeper tried to retire. Hope Lee can make the difference but I’ll be surprised if he plays more than an hour or so.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:28 am

Spartan2 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:04 am
If Evatt goes 352 and we lose he's done for me, I want to believe he knows what he's doing but there isn't a lot to back it up. We could/should have switched to a 433 months ago and I suspect a good manager would have started the season like that with the players we have. The 352 is ridiculous, we are exposed all over the pitch, players playing out of position constantly, both in formation and due to the opposition. Terrible at set plays the list goes on. He has no excuses in the quality of the squad, both because he's responsible for it, but more so because we have good players.

Delf, Doyle, Tutte and Crawford are all above league 2 level. And now you can add Lee and John to that list.
People might see it differently but I would add Darcy, Brockbank, Thomason and Kioso to it too, although young and inexperienced and perhaps a little lightweight they are by no means average league two players. I'd say Jones, Sarce, Delany and Isgrove are all top end League 2 players.

So depending on who you're counting that's a total of 14 quality players. 6-10 who are higher than league two level, and 4-8 who are top end league two quality. Now okay not all of those players have been available and Kioso has buggered off, (so 13) but there are no excuses. He's been backed by the board, he has good players at his disposal, he needs to win games.

------------Doyle
---Delfo------------Kioso
------------Sarce
---------Lee----Tutte
John--Delaney--Santos--Jones

I think that team would have pissed this league. I can't really see how it doesn't win every game. Its absolute bollocks that John is injured and Kioso has left. But we still have quality, I'd swap Brockbank for John and Darcy for Kioso and leave it at that.
I mean its not as simple as a change of system fixes everything. Its also to me a lot down to motivation. I don't think we've wanted to win games as much as the other side in some cases. And that's a big problem.

I do think we're better far better than we've shown and some of the people trying to make out this team is bottom 6 material and its not Evatt's fault I find odd. Especially when those people bemoaned fighting a championship relegation battle in embargo without a pot to piss in and blamed the manager yet now as a relatively rich league two side don't accept any blame towards the manager. Honestly I think some are just blinded to any manager who blows smoke up their ass and talks about playing good football - its a bit depressing that Evatt has been allowed to rob us of yet another season - I hope he proves me wrong and gets us up (and that really is the requirement - not one single person said bottom half was ok going into this season) but I cannot see it.
My ultimate worry is the season is curtailed, Evatt afforded the benefit of the doubt and yet another season goes up in smoke. Lets hope that doesn't happen. Lets hope Evatt learns and prioritises results over style and maximises what we've got in the most efficient way. Because that's what Bolton Wanderers need right now, not pipe dreams or fanciful ideas but a manager who takes a squad and squeezes the maximum out of them week by week, there is absolutely no argument that we've not come close to that. No argument at all.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:28 am

Because that's what Bolton Wanderers need right now, not pipe dreams or fanciful ideas but a manager who takes a squad and squeezes the maximum out of them week by week, there is absolutely no argument that we've not come close to that. No argument at all.
Meanwhile,(just in our league) back in the real world of the couple of dozen managers who weekly fight squad injuries, empty stadiums,try to hold on to their jobs and keep their club and it's directors happy,and all amid a deadly national virus crisis that's wrecking the country medically and financially,the answers to such as you suggest will be very welcome on post cards hand delivered to the stadium mail box. It might also be advisable to keep in mind the amount of managers who have tried and failed in our "journey" from first to fourth division football. In short, there is no easy answer at all.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:47 pm

Any road up (to use a good old Lanc's expression) it's time to say "COME ON YOU WHITES"' and yes, I'm going for a win and three points. :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:01 pm

TEAM NEWS
Lee starts, replacing Thomason. Suspended Greenidge replaced by Delaney.
So presumably Brocky RB and Jones LB - we'll see.
exeter team.jpg
exeter team.jpg (74.08 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:01 pm
TEAM NEWS
Looks like three at the back with Jones and Brockbank as RWB and LWB?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:03 pm

Still wouldn’t rule out Isgrove / Jones as wing backs 🤣

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:02 pm
TEAM NEWS
Who's yer third CB with Santos and Delaney? Am I being daft? :D

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:04 pm

It'll be a back four.

4-3-3.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:07 pm

Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:03 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:02 pm
TEAM NEWS
Who's yer third CB with Santos and Delaney? Am I being daft? :D
Oh - have I dreamt one too many CB's? Better go have another look....

He could drop Brockbank in with Santos and Delaney and play Isgrove/Jones...as RWB and LWB... :-)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:08 pm

Covid + Brexit + Capitol Hill last week is enough to crush anyone's joie de vivre. At least supporters of other clubs can be cheered by their team's performances.

Not us though. Our gameplan going out the window due to the latest injury jinx, I expect to see a right full back at left wing back, God knows what on the other side, giants unable to win anything in the air and our set pieces to look as threatening as Alan Bennett at bedtime.

1-3 loss :cry:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:12 pm

^^ They've scored 40. In 19 games. We could be 3 down in the first 15 minutes...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:20 pm

You'd think it has to be the team most people picked, argue over which side Brockers and Jones go. That first 5 mins, if it looks like Jones LWB and Isgrove RWB...good grief.

Didn't realise this was at 7!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:22 pm

Looks like the two COVID sufferers aren't anybody crucial. Those missing from the last matchday 18 are Taft (loaned), Greenidge (suspended) and Comley, who has been an unused sub for the last five games - he might have been pushed off the bench by Tomo. In the last 16 games, Comley has only started the EFL Trophy dead-rubber against Newcastle's kids.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:26 pm

According to my instruments Lee is about to become the 31st player used in first-team games this season.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:47 pm

This match has the feel of one of those where we win when there's barely any expectation to.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:49 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:47 pm
This match has the feel of one of those where we win when there's barely any expectation to.
Feeling the same.

I want to say we're going to spank someone soon. Though I'd take a 1-0 win.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:50 pm

We’ll either be 3 down after half an hour or grind summat out...fingers crossed Lee makes a difference and doesn’t get kicked off the park.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:51 pm

Dunno about spanking someone, I'd accept making a sarky comment that they don't quite hear :mrgreen: