Exeter Expects. Exeter City v Bolton (A) - 19:00 - 12th Jan

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Exeter Expects. Exeter City v Bolton (A) - 19:00 - 12th Jan

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:52 pm

Decent point.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:53 pm

On balance, happy with a point.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:53 pm

If Evatt gets this team anywhere near the playoffs this season I will show my arse from the top of London Heathrow tower for the Monday morning rush.

Lucky point.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:53 pm

You'd take it from 1-0 down - considering we're gutless etc - and it was interesting to see us try a different formation. We just need better players in it. Looked far too blunt in the last third, even during the increasingly traditional cavalry charge at 0-1.

Intriguing. Not brilliant. Not even very good, really. But intriguing, and we move on with hope.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:54 pm

1-1 is a decent result, but again the performance was all over the place.

Sarce I’d say is lucky he’s been made captain, because he’d be getting dropped in favour of Thomason for the next game if he weren’t.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:55 pm

Would Kioso and John have made a big difference? Probably.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:56 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:54 pm

Sarce I’d say is lucky he’s been made captain, because he’d be getting dropped in favour of Thomason for the next game if he weren’t.
^---- This. Come up north to retire it looks like.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:56 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:55 pm
Arthur showed what was missing on the wing when he came on so I'd say yes.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:59 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:54 pm

This absolutely - Gnahoua made the difference IMO, much better player than Fonz & Gilks kept us in it with some decent saves. Yet again we only start to play with tempo & intensity when we go a goal behind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:00 pm

Always good to get a point away from home.

Just need to start winning our home games now.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:03 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:55 pm
Might of made us too open at the back though. When Exeter overloaded brockbank at the start of the second half we looked in trouble. Arthur coming on for Delf and actually moving and tracking the runner helped. I’ve had it with Delf, he’s the first person we should be dropping. Sarce isn’t far behind.

We need more from our quality players- even Crawford when he came on for 10 minutes showed more on the ball and looked the part...then he just disappeared.

I thought Tutte was poor tonight as well - didn’t show for the ball as much and left Delaney limping it to nobody.

If Evatt can get a tune out of Lee and it frees up Sarce it will help massively. But Sarce only perked up once Lee went off which i just don’t get.

Isgrove flits too much - maybe he needs a few games in this role as he has been messed about a bit. But there’s a team in there somewhere...perhaps with overlapping full backs they may suddenly click.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:05 pm

Credit to the Manager who Gnahoua and Crawford on. Made a big difference, especially Gnahoua who has wonderful skills. Looks like he would be a good false 9 for Doyle in a 4-4-2. People say Delf and Sarc are better than this level. Don't see that at all. They are AT their level. Overall, a decent point on the road.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:06 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:05 pm
Credit to the Manager who brought Gnahoua and Crawford on. Made a big difference, especially Gnahoua who has wonderful skills. Looks like he would be a good false 9 for Doyle in a 4-4-2. People say Delf and Sarc are better than this level. Don't see that at all. They are AT their level. Overall, a decent point on the road.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:12 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:05 pm
Credit to the Manager who Gnahoua and Crawford on. Made a big difference, especially Gnahoua who has wonderful skills. Looks like he would be a good false 9 for Doyle in a 4-4-2. People say Delf and Sarc are better than this level. Don't see that at all. They are AT their level. Overall, a decent point on the road.
Delfouneso was shocking again - he needs dropping or selling he's been very poor for a few months now, he just looks disinterested & lazy to me, he's a liability at the moment (its like playing with 10 men). After this Gnahoua should get some games, he changed the game tonight with his pace & determination.

I'll say it again though with the players at his disposal in a very average league, IMO Evatt should be getting a lot more from these players.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:19 pm

I thought that was fine. They're in the play-offs on PPG. New shape. Point was fair I think.

Defo need another winger. Brockers doing his best and did fine but it's another square peg. Just need to look at Jones (motm for me) for for the difference. Looked lost at LWB. Excellent at RB. Full of running, wanted the ball.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:39 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:19 pm
I thought that was fine. They're in the play-offs on PPG. New shape. Point was fair I think.

Defo need another winger. Brockers doing his best and did fine but it's another square peg. Just need to look at Jones (motm for me) for for the difference. Looked lost at LWB. Excellent at RB. Full of running, wanted the ball.
Jones - Don’t think his distribution was good enough going forward personally but Isgrove disappeared a few times when he needed an option for a give/go. He was certainly better defensively than Brocky. Thought Santos played well to be honest, he looked unlucky for the goal but I’d need to see it again to make sure he wasn’t just being Santos. Gilkes would be another norm shout as well. There’s a lot more to get out of most of them, frustratingly.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:40 pm

We got a point in what was a poor performance from a number of players. I'm not sure any formation would've helped Delaney or Fonz or Sarce or Isgrove.

For the stats about shots, it's only significant if they go in the onion bag and turn into points (in greater frequency than the oppo manage), otherwise might as well count corners too.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:47 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:19 pm

I thought Brocky and Duhaney had a very difficult night. Jones and Santos did ok and we did look more solid without the wing backs bombing forward. Something that annoys me. I wish we would stop taking forever to make a throw in when we get it. Gives the opposition time to settle when we do that, and inevitably we throw the ball to them. Its like no one on our team wants the ball when we get a throw. One more thing, our big defenders never win an attacking set piece when they go up. Why is that?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:52 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:47 pm
One more thing, our big defenders never win an attacking set piece when they go up. Why is that?
I think they've won one header all season in opps box...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:05 pm

Delaneys winner at cheltenham was off a corner. short But yeah set pieces generally are poor. We had one corner tonight that ended up with Brocky on the halfway line.