Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27088
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:56 pm

Well at least we didn’t lose. A much better display.

Sarcevic man of the match. Doyle and Isgrove also very good. And Arthur when he came on.

Two new boys didn’t add anything for me. Perhaps should have been introduced from bench. Left back overall I’d say was bobbins. Especially second half. Not physical enough.

Missed Lee second half but his injury record had to make you worry.

The system is far far far better. Stick with it. Still need another midfield player for me if Lee is out.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19246
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:56 pm

Well, we'd have taken a point at 0-1, but it's perhaps a sign of how good the first half was that 1-1 feels deflating.

Hope Lee is OK because we looked worse without him - no disrespect to Tomo.

I like Brocky but we also lost something down the right when Gethin went off.

Two new lads had mixed games but I'm glad they're here.

Arthur deserves a start IMO.

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 4638
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:56 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:44 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:33 pm
What on earth have we brought Brockbank on for? Jones was getting joy down there so bring a centre back on to do the job?
Harry won't give the ball away as much.
As he aimlessly lumps it at the centre half for the third time...

Jones was infinitely better. A far better player than Brockbank will ever be.

And if we are taking players who give it away the get the LB off.
I'll get the stats after the game.
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14870 ... Cheltenham

Sort by rating and fill your boots.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 24532
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:57 pm

We've had some decent 45's. Are we only paying them half wages?

nicholaldo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:57 pm

Unconvincing, as ever. It's another point against one of the league's better teams, but should really have been more.

I think this is our lot now until next season. It's just about getting through it.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8703
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:58 pm

Tuesday felt like a decent point. Today was a let down, feels like a defeat.
...

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19246
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:00 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:55 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:54 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:51 pm
I like Brockbank, but he’s a centre back.
I like Brockbank, but he's too short* to be a centre-back in a back four (you can get away with a shorter one with two big lads alongside him). He's a doughty defensive full-back. And not many people need those any more.

*And not good enough in other areas to compensate, before anybody says "Cannavaro" :D
I think he's perfectly fine to do a job at full back. Presumably it's legs/knocks with Jones, he was good again. Brocky is fine to cover either full back. He's not awful on the ball
He's not awful but not once did I feel confident in him overlapping and creating; by the looks of it, neither did he. I don't wish to knock him as I like the lad a lot but he's just not as good in the oppo half - like an Andy Taylor: solid enough and reliable in defence but not further forward. Buggers can't be choosers and all that but imagine if we'd had Kioso or similar, a proper outball and threat. And if we're trying to play expansive passing football, we can't have a flank of the pitch where moves go to die - that's what hamstrung us before Christmas. Jones IMO looked much more comfortable in their half than Harry did.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8703
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:00 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:57 pm
Unconvincing, as ever. It's another point against one of the league's better teams, but should really have been more.

I think this is our lot now until next season. It's just about getting through it.
Been thinking that way for a good while now, ever since that mini run turned out to be a false dawn. Sadly I have no faith in the manager or the team, which is a shame because there are some decent players amongst them.
...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27088
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:02 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:56 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:44 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:33 pm
What on earth have we brought Brockbank on for? Jones was getting joy down there so bring a centre back on to do the job?
Harry won't give the ball away as much.
As he aimlessly lumps it at the centre half for the third time...

Jones was infinitely better. A far better player than Brockbank will ever be.

And if we are taking players who give it away the get the LB off.
I'll get the stats after the game.
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14870 ... Cheltenham

Sort by rating and fill your boots.
Not convinced that pass accuracy is the most relevant stat for an overlapping full back but those stats add to my bafflement as to why Jones came off. He was one of our better players today and we looked a worse side without his overlapping runs.

And our left back gave the ball away more than anyone else. And cost us a goal. Can only assume Gethin was injured.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 24532
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:03 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:56 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:44 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:33 pm
What on earth have we brought Brockbank on for? Jones was getting joy down there so bring a centre back on to do the job?
Harry won't give the ball away as much.
As he aimlessly lumps it at the centre half for the third time...

Jones was infinitely better. A far better player than Brockbank will ever be.

And if we are taking players who give it away the get the LB off.
I'll get the stats after the game.
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14870 ... Cheltenham

Sort by rating and fill your boots.
Jackson's passing accuracy 63% and half the ones that went to a white shirt were way adrift from where they needed to be, including the one that led to their goal. Not a great start for me.

Scarce would get my man of the half a match, but over 90 I'd probably go Santos or Is grove...

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19246
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:05 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:56 pm
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14870 ... Cheltenham

Sort by rating and fill your boots.
Tutte, 92.9% pass accuracy from 28 passes; Lee 91.3% from 23. Shame they didn't play together.

Gethin and Jackson 6 crosses each - but only 2 of Gethin's and none of Jackson's were accurate. 4 of Izzy's 5 were. Good lad. He was much better today.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27088
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:07 pm

And if we can keep enough of these lads fit and stick with this system I think we can do much better second half of the season. First time I can say there is a little hope genuinely.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36466
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:08 pm

Isgrove motm for me, and by quite a distance too
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 4638
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:02 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:56 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:44 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:33 pm
What on earth have we brought Brockbank on for? Jones was getting joy down there so bring a centre back on to do the job?
Harry won't give the ball away as much.
As he aimlessly lumps it at the centre half for the third time...

Jones was infinitely better. A far better player than Brockbank will ever be.

And if we are taking players who give it away the get the LB off.
I'll get the stats after the game.
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14870 ... Cheltenham

Sort by rating and fill your boots.
Not convinced that pass accuracy is the most relevant stat for an overlapping full back but those stats add to my bafflement as to why Jones came off. He was one of our better players today and we looked a worse side without his overlapping runs.

And our left back gave the ball away more than anyone else. And cost us a goal. Can only assume Gethin was injured.
Course you're not as the evidence doesn't support your argument.

I hate to break it to you but he wasn't one of the best players and nor did I say the new lad was either, far from it. He might have got into decent areas but what's the point if he's going to give it away?

If he were to take off the LB for a right-footed player then you would have rinsed him for it.

But that's how you like it. Rock and hard place arguing.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19246
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:13 pm

On the bright side, we kept these play-off zoners to 8 attempts on goal - only Scunny (7) have had fewer against us (Stevenage and, bizarrely, Orient only had 8 too).

That's quantitative but qualitatively we did look solid to me. Set piece did us again but we didn't look leaky in open play, IMO.

Still think we need more going forward, though. We played some nice stuff and had some near misses but I never thought a goal was inevitable. I wouldn't say we were irresistible, and their gaffer will be as irked by our goal as we should have been by Exeter's very similar goal against us the other night.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19246
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:07 pm
And if we can keep enough of these lads fit and stick with this system I think we can do much better second half of the season. First time I can say there is a little hope genuinely.
Good to hear mate

It'll be reight :wink:

But hold off the open-top bus - 'rona risk anyway :mrgreen:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27088
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:16 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:02 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:56 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:44 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:33 pm
What on earth have we brought Brockbank on for? Jones was getting joy down there so bring a centre back on to do the job?
Harry won't give the ball away as much.
As he aimlessly lumps it at the centre half for the third time...

Jones was infinitely better. A far better player than Brockbank will ever be.

And if we are taking players who give it away the get the LB off.
I'll get the stats after the game.
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14870 ... Cheltenham

Sort by rating and fill your boots.
Not convinced that pass accuracy is the most relevant stat for an overlapping full back but those stats add to my bafflement as to why Jones came off. He was one of our better players today and we looked a worse side without his overlapping runs.

And our left back gave the ball away more than anyone else. And cost us a goal. Can only assume Gethin was injured.
Course you're not as the evidence doesn't support your argument.

I hate to break it to you but he wasn't one of the best players and nor did I say the new lad was either, far from it. He might have got into decent areas but what's the point if he's going to give it away?

If he were to take off the LB for a right-footed player then you would have rinsed him for it.

But that's how you like it. Rock and hard place arguing.
Hate to break it to you but we spent a first half with everything going through Jones and Isgrove down our right hand side, both putting some decent balls into the box.

Brockbank came on and offered nothing going forwards, predictably. And anyone with eyes could see we hugely missed Jones as an overlapping outlet when he went off.

Anyway the system you said was impossible to play seemed to work pretty well.

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 4638
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by DJBlu » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:17 pm

On a brighter note. Doyle scored again. Hopefully, he's evaded a drought.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27088
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:14 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:07 pm
And if we can keep enough of these lads fit and stick with this system I think we can do much better second half of the season. First time I can say there is a little hope genuinely.
Good to hear mate

It'll be reight :wink:

But hold off the open-top bus - 'rona risk anyway :mrgreen:
I mean seriously it’s baby steps but first time we’ve looked like a side who have a pattern, shape and way of playing that is repeatable. We got a bit stuck second half and it’s not perfect, far from it. But we should have played this system far far earlier as we look much more comfortable in it. Lee was a miss when he went off and midfield is an area that still needs work. Sarce is a good attacking mid who was great today but I still think more is needed behind him.

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9878
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Will we be at the races? Cheltenham (h) Saturday 16 Jan 15:00 KO (GMT)

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:23 pm

Different feeling today - we looked great first 45 and but for a novice full back gifting a corner, Delaney falling asleep and some atrocious goalkeeping it would have been a game where we would have plugged away and won. Not blown them away but the way we were going I thought we’d score one, until we went behind and it fell apart a bit. Which feels like progress.

Jackson I thought was decent but he did make a few errors as you would expect. If he was ours I would be pretty happy with that as a debut - he doesn’t count towards the squad cap and I suspect we aren’t paying a wage. He’s better than Mascoll so why moan? I think the idea is he keeps John ok his toes, who hasn’t played for over a year so surely a sensible signing?? We’ve already lost John for two games!

The winger didn’t do enough for me - I imagine he started because Arthur is seen as a super sub. He would start next week for me.

Isgrove and Sarce did well, and that 20 minute period where it fell apart we just didn’t get them the ball. Was really disappointed with Tutte - he didn’t look to get us going at all and just stick it sideways and backwards. Thomo perked up with less defensive responsibility though so horses for courses...

Hope that Lee sub was just precautionary - he didn’t look hurt in the first half at all? He’s not up to speed yet but the flashes are promising.

Santos was top man for me. Delaney shaky and is half responsible for the goal.

Jones sub has to be the amount of game time he’s played. Poor old Harry he’s a whole hearted lad but I think he works in a back 3 only.

Sign
A
Keeper

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DJBlu, Harry Genshaw, KeyserSoze, Mar, RusholmeRuffian, sonicthewhite, TANGODANCER, truewhite15 and 77 guests