Is football not a man's field? Away @ the Stags 26th Jan 2021

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Is football not a man's field? Away @ the Stags 26th Jan 2021

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:41 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:41 am
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:35 pm
I'd say we look about 8 points off the playoffs mentally factoring in the different number of games played. If that sparks a run and we can win the next 3 winnable games (making 5 in a row) I'll start to believe.
I hear you brother, and there are some high figures floating around for the PPG we would have to maintain. However, what I’d add is that we’re playing the next three midweeks - so that’s Sat-Tue-Sat-Tue-Sat-Tue-Sat; those with games in hand will presumably rearrange them for thereafter rather than play Tue-Thu-Sat. All we can do is win our games and if we continue to do so then the others will have to keep winning too - and possibly have the pressure of having to overhaul us.

Also worth noting that Evatt got a fair old head of steam up at Barrow. We had a touch of that earlier in the season. It might all crumble again but right now it’s exciting and that’s something we’ve got to hold on to - whether it’s for a fairytale ending to this season or just a promising one, a strengthening summer and a proper go next time.
That's £70 right there... :-)

At 11th, we're towards the bottom end of my minimum expectations for the season (I went 8th - 12th) :-) So he needs a roll to give me some upside and him some leeway. ;-) and losing to Salford would still be a disciplinary.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:41 am

That's £70 right there... :-)
Payday on Monday and March's a Poll Tax free month, so that's plenty. Change left for bottles of beer, chips and quite possibly a vuvuzela :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:10 pm

Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:01 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:10 pm
Good to see that on Saturday we've got the lunatic ref who squared up to an Ipswich player last night. Wouldn't surprise me if he got "rested" but if not what odds another red card?
FA is investigating the incident.

Here's how Neil Lennon rated Dazzler after our 4-3 loss at QPR back in ye day:
I've never seen a more biased performance from a referee in a long time. He gave QPR everything he possibly could, I was so frustrated with that. Any 50/50 challenges, it looked at times the free-kick was going to go to us, he invented a free-kick for QPR. It was a really frustrating performance from him from my point of view.
He's been booted now for Declan Bourne. First season as a FL ref it seems. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56112629
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:16 pm

I might start a petition asking for us to be allowed to play midweek from hereon in. We've only ever lost on a Saturday this season.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:46 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:12 am
The_Gun wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:04 am
Arthur really has been a revelation these last few games - he's such a talented lad and I don't really get how he's got to the age of 28 without having more success in professional football.
Not many clubs round the corner from his gaff though, so maybe he is self-limiting??
Presumably why he's based himself in the NW. Lots of clubs to choose from in a small radius :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:49 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:46 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:12 am
The_Gun wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:04 am
Arthur really has been a revelation these last few games - he's such a talented lad and I don't really get how he's got to the age of 28 without having more success in professional football.
Not many clubs round the corner from his gaff though, so maybe he is self-limiting??
Presumably why he's based himself in the NW. Lots of clubs to choose from in a small radius :D
He's been seen in Dundee, looking at property on Tannadice Street :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:35 am
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:18 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:57 pm
Nigel Cloughs post match interview is worth a listen. Our goals, flukes. Their (fluke) goal, was a great hit 🤣. What a whopper!
Bitter sh!thead. Was narky all the way through the game, even when 2-0 up. Has to deflect from the fact that he and his team f&&ked up royally.
In fairness I do think we get a big stroke of luck with our two goals and we hadn’t really looked threatening prior to that. He’s got a fair point. But it’s not like they were worthy of a 2 goal lead either. I’d suggest over the course a draw was probably a reasonable result but we scored the pick of the goals thanks to Arthur.
I suppose if John was named Messi the first would be considered to be a goal of brilliance instead of a fluke. Re the second, King Arthur was right there with the defender. I at first thought it was Arthurs goal from a fabulous cross. Luck ?? Fluke?? Mr Clough.. 2-3 .. go deal with that and stop belittling our team!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:44 pm

Here’s fun. Audio NSFW.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:49 pm

Love the attitude. Doyle grabbing the ball and back to halfway after the equaliser.

The first goal is definitely a fluke but no more so than theirs. Proper laughed at Clough saying he hit it really well and if it had been two yards either side of Gilks it would've gone in anyway. Excellent Nigel. And you must admit, if John had have meant it, well, he'd have meant it. (I also love that he claimed that after we equalised they played really well "for a few minutes").

There was fortune to the second goal too, but much less so, that was more about good play from John, picking up the clearance and instead of just lobbing it in driving at the box and putting it in a good area. Not a million miles away from Santos' OG against Exeter.

So a bit of luck, but I thought over the 90 we were worth at least a point and the spirit and determination won all three. Contrast Doyle trying to win the game at 2-2 with them time wasting and trying to win free kicks even at 2-0.

Dare I say that positivity and extra 2 points balance out against the 2 we lost the other week when we didn't shut up shop with 10?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:41 pm

Its a football supporter thing where two points gained due to a fantastic comeback is much more memorable than a two points lost scenario.
On the second goal I have never quite grasped the pull back from the byline thing where a cross smashed across the six yard box is much more difficult to defend.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:55 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:41 pm
Its a football supporter thing where two points gained due to a fantastic comeback is much more memorable than a two points lost scenario.
On the second goal I have never quite grasped the pull back from the byline thing where a cross smashed across the six yard box is much more difficult to defend.
Especially at this level - poorer keepers. Think Declan’s worked it out. Shame he wasn’t here in August, we may well still be playing 3 at the back and flying keepers.

Love that Doyle at 2-2, his attitude is absolutely first rate. Been a good captain.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:54 pm

[quoteHow is Matt Gilks doing after the bad landing in the first half?

“The referee should have stopped it immediately, but he didn’t, so we got away with that one. He’s fine, he’s a big boy. Their first goal was a fluke but other than that, he did okay.”[/quote]

I'm no fan of Evatt so far but this has endeared him to me a little bit.