Is football not a man's field? Away @ the Stags 26th Jan 2021

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Is football not a man's field? Away @ the Stags 26th Jan 2021

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:25 pm

Scunny two up - now above us in the league. Glad we helped them out by loaning them a centre half!!!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:04 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:25 pm
Scunny two up - now above us in the league. Glad we helped them out by loaning them a centre half!!!
He's getting rave reviews as well. Starting every game. I think it's very unfair to blame Evatt for the loss of kioso, but this really does call his judgement into question. Not so much that he loaned him, but that he did so without giving him a proper go against a backdrop of some awful defending.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:18 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:04 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:25 pm
He's getting rave reviews as well. Starting every game. I think it's very unfair to blame Evatt for the loss of kioso, but this really does call his judgement into question. Not so much that he loaned him, but that he did so without giving him a proper go against a backdrop of some awful defending.
There must have been some kind of falling out there. On the face of it Taft is much more of an Evatt type player than Delaney is, and Greenidge has shown the square root of feck all, so I don't buy that Taft has been let go simply because he missed a few weeks of training.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:39 am

If we end up finishing below Scunthorpe and the loaning of Taft is a big reason for that I think it is a hard one for Evatt to defend. The covid stuff was fine - but he clearly wasn’t unfit as he’s slotted straight in there. Whereas Delaney has got shakier and shakier and Greenidge to put it kindly isn’t ready. Is it arrogance loaning to Scunthorpe - oh they will finish below us anyway?? We’ll see. We’re only a couple of bad results of bottom two now. If we end up in there next month I’d be sourcing a new manager. Can’t gamble with our league status.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:39 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:39 am
If we end up finishing below Scunthorpe and the loaning of Taft is a big reason for that I think it is a hard one for Evatt to defend. The covid stuff was fine - but he clearly wasn’t unfit as he’s slotted straight in there. Whereas Delaney has got shakier and shakier and Greenidge to put it kindly isn’t ready. Is it arrogance loaning to Scunthorpe - oh they will finish below us anyway?? We’ll see. We’re only a couple of bad results of bottom two now. If we end up in there next month I’d be sourcing a new manager. Can’t gamble with our league status.
I actually think with the appalling run the team is on, Taft doing well at Scunthorpe, current very poor league position in Div 4, worst team in BWFC history - if we lose on Saturday at home to Orient the pressure on Evatt will be immense, I'm not saying all but a decent % of fans are already turning on him, he'll be lucky to survive as more will turn and it will get very toxic.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:08 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:39 am
I actually think with the appalling run the team is on, Taft doing well at Scunthorpe, current very poor league position in Div 4, worst team in BWFC history - if we lose on Saturday at home to Orient the pressure on Evatt will be immense, I'm not saying all but a decent % of fans are already turning on him, he'll be lucky to survive as more will turn and it will get very toxic.
With respect, Bertie, we always have this disconnect: A few people loudly complaining can make it seem like revolution is in the air and give a distorted picture; as recent plebiscites have shown, campaigning for change is always louder than hoping for continuity. Judging by the results on this very site's poll, only a minority think that way:
Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 10.00.57.png
Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 10.00.57.png (72.16 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
What I would say is that being in the relegation zone would tip the cost-benefit balance for many (including, for what it's worth, me) – but as Grimsby are seven points behind us and have won six points from the last 13 games, it would take a turnaround in their fortunes.

In the end, it's not about what you or me or @Jez451028 thinks, it's about what FV think. And I suspect their resolve would stiffen if we approach the relegation zone.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:38 am

I suspect if I put the same poll on Twitter, it'd get some different results! :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:38 am
I suspect if I put the same poll on Twitter, it'd get some different results! :-)
Aye, that's where the argumentative roam. You might think the same applies here, but TW polls on managerial futures are usually far more conservative than the conversation might imply. It's a signal/noise thing.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:51 pm

I agree that this forum is conservative in general, however even on here 36% would only give him a max of 6 games before wanting him potted, therefore on the other more argumentative platforms i.e. twitter it must be 40-50% of fans wanting him out or are very near to turning and wanting him out.

Therefore as I said should we lose at home to Orient on Saturday, I suspect that quite a few more will turn and want him out & the pressure will significantly mount on him - so he really cant afford to lose against Orient its a pressure game for Evatt, however I for one really hope that we do win for everyone's sake.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:48 pm

I am prepared to give him time but a loss to Orient would certainly make me reconsider whether we shouldn't cut him now and bring in an experienced manager to save us from relegation.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:59 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:51 pm
I agree that this forum is conservative in general, however even on here 36% would only give him a max of 6 games before wanting him potted, therefore on the other more argumentative platforms i.e. twitter it must be 40-50% of fans wanting him out or are very near to turning and wanting him out.

Therefore as I said should we lose at home to Orient on Saturday, I suspect that quite a few more will turn and want him out & the pressure will significantly mount on him - so he really cant afford to lose against Orient its a pressure game for Evatt, however I for one really hope that we do win for everyone's sake.
I certainly think he should be thankful there's no fans in the ground, because booing is louder than mild disgruntlement or quiet hope.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:59 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

I certainly think he should be thankful there's no fans in the ground, because booing is louder than mild disgruntlement or quiet hope.
I see this point made quite regularly, and I genuinely can't decide whether Evatt would be better or worse off with fans in the ground. Obviously if results were as they are then it would be worse for him, but is it not possible that we would have performed better at home with the backing of (relatively) large crowds?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:25 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:12 pm
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:59 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

I see this point made quite regularly, and I genuinely can't decide whether Evatt would be better or worse off with fans in the ground. Obviously if results were as they are then it would be worse for him, but is it not possible that we would have performed better at home with the backing of (relatively) large crowds?
Conversely, the large crowds could raise the game of the opposition ala giant killing cup stylee.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:29 pm

I would like to think that Bolton fans would get behind their team but I've been among them long enough to know it isn't always the case. We don't know how that would affect the relatively callow players and manager and even the more experienced souls might react – didn't Sarcevic have to come off Twitter earlier this season?

And AT makes a good point - at the moment they're playing their cup finals behind closed doors, but with fans in – including (in a non-COVID world) fair wedges of day-tripping away supporters taking a break from Your Cheltenhams and Your Exeters – they'd quite possibly enjoy it even more.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:03 pm

Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:29 pm
I would like to think that Bolton fans would get behind their team but I've been among them long enough to know it isn't always the case. We don't know how that would affect the relatively callow players and manager and even the more experienced souls might react – didn't Sarcevic have to come off Twitter earlier this season?

And AT makes a good point - at the moment they're playing their cup finals behind closed doors, but with fans in – including (in a non-COVID world) fair wedges of day-tripping away supporters taking a break from Your Cheltenhams and Your Exeters – they'd quite possibly enjoy it even more.
I honestly don’t think there’d be many in....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:58 am

Mansfield game has been quickly rearranged for next Tuesday. Quite the three-game week now as it fits between Orient and Salford.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:08 pm

Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:58 am
Mansfield game has been quickly rearranged for next Tuesday. Quite the three-game week now as it fits between Orient and Salford.

That feels like a no points week to me.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:45 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:08 pm
Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:58 am

That feels like a no points week to me.
Should that occur, I feel I might be Ill disposed towards the gentleman running the shop, talk of time, plans, projects and the like. I fear there would be "cuntings"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:15 pm

The_Gun wrote:
I think he/they would've have got a fair bit of stick, particularly at the end of the Tranmere home defeat, and it would get to him badly. He seems to have quite a thin skin and to read what's written on Twitter, which is an unfortunate combination. Add some hefty booing to that and I suspect he'd be going Full Keith.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:24 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:15 pm
The_Gun wrote:
I think he/they would've have got a fair bit of stick, particularly at the end of the Tranmere home defeat, and it would get to him badly. He seems to have quite a thin skin and to read what's written on Twitter, which is an unfortunate combination. Add some hefty booing to that and I suspect he'd be going Full Keith.
I could live with "Full Keith"; we'd be 8th! :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!