An age to start a match thread? Stevenage, home, Saturday 13/2/21 @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: An age to start a match thread? Stevenage, home, Saturday 13/2/21 @ 3pm

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:18 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:12 pm
I've only seen one replay of it, but the only worry I have that Williams' red card won't be overturned is that they're having to overturn them so often it's becoming embarrasing.
Exactly what I'm thinking. They have to be seen to be backing their refs at some point, even though they are generally shocking.

The lower the league - the worse the refs.
Aye, I can recall us playing Oakwood the day after their race trip. Ref blagged a tinny off one of them at half time with his fag. We got fcuk all second half.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
And the players, and the managers... :D

TBF it'd be weird the other way round, with Mike Dean doing parks football and Liverpool-Citeh reffed by a manager's brother who's definitely going to be honest mate and gives one early free kick against his team to prove it... :mrgreen:

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:32 pm

To be honest I thought that was a poor performance, very good from Santos, John & Thomason, but for me Doyle was poor today (which is not something anyone normally says about Doyle). The red card was a disgrace it wasn't even a foul but if it was there player jumped in at Williams, all Williams did was tackle & go for the ball. Ref's in this league are abysmal, the ref today couldn't wait to get the red card out. Apparently its this ref's 5th red card against a Bolton player in his last 6 games WTF, and he gave every 50/50 to them, I actually cant remember him giving us a free kick in the 2nd half.

By the way Isgrove is weak as piss, Baptiste did ok today but he honestly scares the hell out of me every time he gets the ball & we still lack a proper central midfielder, teams just walk through us in central midfield - good 3 points but it wasn't a good performance, 1st half was decent but as usual we only ever play well for 15-20 mins.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:40 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:30 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
And the players, and the managers... :D
Indeed. However, unlike with players and managers, we don't appear to be seeing any reffing potential coming through ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:49 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:32 pm
To be honest I thought that was a poor performance, very good from Santos, John & Thomason, but for me Doyle was poor today (which is not something anyone normally says about Doyle). The red card was a disgrace it wasn't even a foul but if it was there player jumped in at Williams, all Williams did was tackle & go for the ball. Ref's in this league are abysmal, the ref today couldn't wait to get the red card out. Apparently its this ref's 5th red card against a Bolton player in his last 6 games WTF, and he gave every 50/50 to them, I actually cant remember him giving us a free kick in the 2nd half.

By the way Isgrove is weak as piss, Baptiste did ok today but he honestly scares the hell out of me every time he gets the ball & we still lack a proper central midfielder, teams just walk through us in central midfield - good 3 points but it wasn't a good performance, 1st half was decent but as usual we only ever play well for 15-20 mins.
Fair summation, Bertie.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:49 pm

To balance out Kunty Kettle chat I thought he missed a penalty against us second half, Arthur (I think) falling onto the back of one of their attackers. I do think you have to make more sensible reffing appointments, particularly when you have just overturned two reds and we have had the run of decisions against us. Ilea wrote the piece up straight away and we all knew his name.

I hope Gilkes isn’t next for a red...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:52 pm

On this day in history: 13/02/2002 We signed Youri Djorkaeff.

Our current No.13 is Mat Gilkes :)

Nowt to do with today's game, but what the hell?! :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:02 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:

Tbf were on, I think, 5 in the last 7 so he's not far above the going rate.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:02 pm

7 points from 9.

Clean sheet.

Playing poorly and winning is better than playing well and losing.

Also that's the second game this new lot have played together and they've managed 4 of them points.

I say with optimism onwards and upwards.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:19 pm

BTW we need to get Santos signed up on a longer term contract, I thought that he was yet again outstanding today - he has the odd dodgy game but for me I think he's consistently our best player & the first name on the team sheet.

The likes of John, Dapo & Mad Dog will improve with games & I would sign them all up for next season if I was Evatt, and they are no mugs Stevenage and have been on a good run & were in good form.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:53 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:02 pm
7 points from 9.

Clean sheet.

Also that's the second game this new lot have played together and they've managed 4 of them points.

Even though it bothers me that we do some of the basics poorly I can't argue with that points return. I suppose it shows the impact signing better quality players has.

I know football isn't played on paper but our upcoming fixtures should give us an opportunity to put a good run of results together.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:16 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:19 pm
BTW we need to get Santos signed up on a longer term contract, I thought that he was yet again outstanding today - he has the odd dodgy game but for me I think he's consistently our best player & the first name on the team sheet.

The likes of John, Dapo & Mad Dog will improve with games & I would sign them all up for next season if I was Evatt, and they are no mugs Stevenage and have been on a good run & were in good form.
Aye, he’s the best centre back in this division and I can’t see him hanging around if we don’t get promoted.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:35 pm

DJBlu wrote:
7 points from 9.

Clean sheet.

And should really have been 9/9 to be fair. We looked in less bother against Morcambe than we did today.

On the flip side, we were 3 points to the good when "this new lot played together". They lost us 2. Just bugger off with your "turned the corner" optimism.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:38 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:53 pm
DJBlu wrote:
7 points from 9.

Clean sheet.

Even though it bothers me that we do some of the basics poorly I can't argue with that points return. I suppose it shows the impact signing better quality players has.

I know football isn't played on paper but our upcoming fixtures should give us an opportunity to put a good run of results together.
They weren't in the building for three of the 7 points from the last 9 and dropped us 2 in the second game...their points return son far is -2+3... so that's be 1.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:51 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:38 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
7 points from 9.

Clean sheet.

They weren't in the building for three of the 7 points from the last 9 and dropped us 2 in the second game...their points return son far is -2+3... so that's be 1.

Lee, John and Jackson were.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:28 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:

Is say this is exactly, to the word how I see it. Baptiste doesn’t give me confidence and he just looks like a player his teammates worry about. Doyle was poor today. I think he has the odd game like that where he looks flat footed.

For me we’ve got an outstanding line up on paper for this league so hopefully it clicks. My worry is all season we’ve underperformed and continue to do so. There is a reason for that beyond players settling in.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:36 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:51 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:38 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
7 points from 9.

Clean sheet.

Lee, John and Jackson were.
I didn't have them down as "made the difference" v Orient. John and Jackson are the same position. One came on for t'other. We looked good as a team v Orient, I didn't have any of the three new signings as "standout".

Morcambe, we were 1-0 up again with one of the three on the pitch? Before the other noobs came on and we dropped two points?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:22 pm

We would have won Tuesday were in not for the referee. Don’t often feel like that but we were on top, had weathered our usual lethargic period after half time, and the subs had given us fresh impetus. At that point I thought we’d go on and do 2-0/2-1. Hate blaming the ref but it cost us then. Got away with it a bit today but we did defend well.

If we can get Afolayan firing consistently (only his first start today!) he looks the business at this level. Not convinced by Maddison at all...I think he looked like he thought he was too good for this level and all he had to do was turn up and he would score and set them up. First half he tried to put it on a plate for Doyle a couple of times. Problem was he was in our half, so it would have taken some ball. The run through them in the second half from our half was great, but if he’s have looked up we had Afolayan in, and ultimately he wasted the chance. He’s not interested once the other team are in our half and I’m not sure we are good enough to carry him yet...but we’re getting plenty of practice playing with ten men so who knows?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:47 pm

I'm delighted to get a win today but far from letting Evatt off the hook.for Tuesday. Yes I agree we'd have won.without the red, but also think we'd have won without the ridiculous decision to sub on Elbouzedi instead of a DM. I wrote Evatt off at that point and it'll take a lot more wins to change my mind. Hope we get them and I'll admit I'm a clueless bellemd who shouldn't be allowed the internet etc...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:26 pm

Not sure I understand the worries about Baptiste. He's been excellent since he came back in. He's miles and fecking miles better than Delaney. A long term partner for Santos would be best the top of my list, but easily worth his place atm
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.