Going South (end)? Not us. Southend v Bolton Sat 20th Feb 3-0.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Going South (end)? Not us. Southend v Bolton Sat 20th Feb 3-0.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:12 pm

Northwards is where we want to keep heading . Big problem with a winning side and an excess of talent :oyea: available for a change. Bring it on....

Edit...I mentioned yesterday on another thread, Nile Ranger has signed back to Southend on a month by month contract....May figure tomorrow..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Going South (end)? Not us. Southend v Bolton Sat 20th Feb 3-0.

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:12 pm

The only change I'd make from Wednesday's starting line up would be Delfonso in for Isgrove. I might have said Arthur to replace Maddison too, but I think he deserves another hour and then bring the Local Boy on; maybe earlier if he's still not getting anywhere.
And we really do need to see a keeper on the bench. Has yon Danish boy picked up an injury or summat?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:15 pm

Dependent on knocks and injuries we don't know about I agree entirely.

The keeper thing is mad to me. Ok sure with five subs that one extra option might seem appealing but it just can't be worth the risk. If it goes wrong you're knackered. More so when the keeper you have is semi retired and was injury prone even when he was young.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:15 pm
Dependent on knocks and injuries we don't know about I agree entirely.

The keeper thing is mad to me. Ok sure with five subs that one extra option might seem appealing but it just can't be worth the risk. If it goes wrong you're knackered. More so when the keeper you have is semi retired and was injury prone even when he was young.
You'd think on Keeper, they must've discussed who would go in nets in the event Gilks got injured. Wonder who it is...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:05 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:03 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:42 pm
[

You'd think on Keeper, they must've discussed who would go in nets in the event Gilks got injured. Wonder who it is..
Not the best informed, but I'd spot for Baptiste based on defensive experience, but like Bruce said, what's Jensen signed for but to keep goal?
ps. The great Nat once saved a penalty, it's the truth..... :D

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:24 pm

I wondered that. Would be understandable if magennis was still here, maybe there's a secret Billy The Fish in training.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:34 pm

Comley has to be on the bench for some reason...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:42 pm

We've actually not played very well in the last two matches, so I'd say we'll need to improve our performances if we're going to keep on winning.

Southend seem to have sorted themselves out somewhat recently and I suspect will present a sterner test than they did last time. I certainly don't anticipate it being a walkover, although the better pitch should help us, and you would hope we will start 'gelling' as a unit with more game time.

Gilks

Brockbank Santos Baptiste John

Thomason Lee

Maddison

Arthur Doyle Delfouneso

1-2 wictory to the Whites.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:05 pm

Come on man, Williams played well on Wednesday :fishing: :fishing:

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:31 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:05 pm
Come on man, Williams played well on Wednesday :fishing: :fishing:
Haha, I would say a mixed performance at best. He didn't cover himself with glory for either of their goals, but I will concede he was involved in the build up for two of ours. Overall I remain unconvinced he's good enough to warrant a starting berth.

More generally I do think we should be looking to rotate to an extent, given we've got a relatively strong squad now. A short turnaround after playing on that ploughed field would mean a few changes tomorrow for me.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:51 pm

If ever there were an opportunity to send out a message to the rest of the league that we mean business this is it. Weather conditions look pretty good for that part of the world tomorrow, 15°C and sunny (if a little blustery) and their pitch hasn't been played on in almost four weeks so it should be in good nick.

If the front four can click then we could really dominate the game, but this is Bolton so when does that ever happen? Southend also not to be underestimated - they're looking like they're up for the relegation scrap based on their last two games.

2-1 Wanderers :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:57 pm

Rumours are that Sarc is back fit again in which case it's him in for Isgrove for me.

Unless this Jensen is bobbins in training I'd play him too. Gilks won't be our keeper next season and Jensen is out of contract and a possibility.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:13 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:42 pm

Gilks

Thomason Lee

Maddison

Arthur Doyle Delfouneso

I'm intrigued as to why you'd take Jones out of RB, a position in which I think he's done well in a back four, and replace him with a novice centre half who up to now's been pretty unconvincing any where? 🤔
May the bridges I burn light your way

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:13 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:42 pm

Gilks

Thomason Lee

Maddison

Arthur Doyle Delfouneso

I'm intrigued as to why you'd take Jones out of RB, a position in which I think he's done well in a back four, and replace him with a novice centre half who up to now's been pretty unconvincing any where? 🤔
Jones played 90 on Weds, and whilst I thought he did well, I think Brockbank has been better than him in that position this season.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:47 am

The next three matches seem like a season defining moment, if you can have a moment that lasts 270 minutes plus stoppages. Anyhow, the momentum is certainly building as we enter the last third of the season and it would appear that we have the strongest group that we have had for some time with competition for all positions ( don't mention goalkeeper because that's just nuts). Whilst six points wouldn't be a disaster I reckon seven or nine added to our tally would send a clear message to the present playoff incumbents that we are gunning for the upper reaches so watch out. Team selection for this one will be very interesting, I expect perhaps three changes , isgrove won't start maddison won't start Lee won't start.
My prediction? Heart says two nil to us Head says two nil to us.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:05 am

Had some good results recently Southend. Think we might be a bit fatigued. Be interesting to see what he does with the team. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was a draw.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:55 am

A draw wouldn't be a disaster, after a midweek on a bog (and a Wednesday midweek at that - rather than Tuesday). That said, 3-0 was reasonably comprehensive last time out and we have better options to rest tired legs. Thomason and Sarce would probably be automatic starts only a few weeks back so feels like we're better in the firepower department. Some of the noobs I don't think were playing much at their old clubs (certainly not three times a week) - so should be fairly sharp yet.

I wonder, having given Maddison such a fanfare on entering the building, whether Evatt has the cojones to tell him he needs to do more. Jeez, if we'd have put forward the notion that Crawford had pulled his weight putting two decent balls into the box that no one got near, he'd have got dogs abuse for not playing them to a player. Need to judge Maddison by same measure.

Win: 1-2 Whites,

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:12 pm
And we really do need to see a keeper on the bench. Has yon Danish boy picked up an injury or summat?
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:15 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:57 pm
Unless this Jensen is bobbins in training I'd play him too. Gilks won't be our keeper next season and Jensen is out of contract and a possibility.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... wanderers/
Evatt's already said it's so he has more outfield options on the bench and he's far from the only manager to take the actuarial risk. I'd always have a keeper on the bench myself but I do understand his thinking. (When we dropped Crellin I suspected Greenidge was standby 'flying netter' but he's dropped from the scene – while praising the Baps-Santos partnership Evatt mentioned we have Delaney and "MJ can play there too" which hardly smacks of Reiss being near consideration. Anyway...)
Lukas is an exceptional young goalkeeper and he’s a big, big boyI don’t know if people have seen him but he’s a specimen and he is very agile. I have been impressed with him in training as well. The thinking behind this is that I want to give him time to settle down with the lads, get him used to the environment. When results were not going as well it was a big ask for a young keeper to step in. Matt has mountains of experience. When we start moving in the right direction then we might look at things differently.

But having said that Matt has been performing great. He has shown he is still a fantastic goalkeeper even at his ripe old age. He is enjoying it, he won’t ever tell you that, but I have known him a long, long time and he is still enjoying playing. He is probably the most high-maintenance player I have got. He needs a bit of love, care and attention, more than most of us, but he has done a fantastic job when we needed him the most. We can't thank him any more than we have done for that.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:08 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:05 am
Had some good results recently Southend. Think we might be a bit fatigued. Be interesting to see what he does with the team. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was a draw.
I thought that because I remembered them winning at Newport and they got a draw at Cambridge. Prior to that they had an absolute botty spanking at port vale and three consecutive home defeats. Let's hope the last two were a blip.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:45 pm

A couple of early goals is what we need. Get them and we're in with a good shout for the points. We're playing away and the weather is apparently Costa del Sur down there. A fast game may well suit us fine, bt we need to put our chances away, so.....COME ON YOU WHITES.... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

We have the players and a bit of a run of form and it's our time to stamp a bit of authority on things. Focus lads, focus.... ae:)