Will the wheel drop off? Barrow (h) 27/02/21 15:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will the wheel drop off? Barrow (h) 27/02/21 15:00

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:58 pm

I think Isgroves willing to run with the ball and his positional discipline makes him more likely to start at the moment. Shame his crossings a bit hit and miss.

Lee was somewhat disappointing yesterday - he didn’t get into those pockets of space in and around the area enough for me...wonder if he prefers playing with Delf at 10 than Sarce? I thought we might see Thomason come on for him.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:02 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:40 pm
By the same token, and I can't embed it no matter what I try, someone on Twitter has dubbed Jack Deaden's Wilbraham commentary over Miller's goal yesterday. It's a thousand times better for it. :mrgreen:

Found it. Absolutely brilliant :mrgreen:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:28 pm

I see poor old Henshaw apologised on Twitter. I mean, he's not great but far from deserving of the dog's abuse he gets.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:29 pm

And on the flip side. How depressing does that sound.

4 x offside. Said he only comments on what he sees. The lino had the flag down for the entirety. :conf:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:56 am

All these Wanderers fans annoyed at Henshaw for spoiling the moment. I wonder how any Barrow fans that were watching, felt!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:39 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:56 am
All these Wanderers fans annoyed at Henshaw for spoiling the moment. I wonder how any Barrow fans that were watching, felt!
If they were listening to our commentary rather than theirs, then they're weird enough to deal with it...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:51 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
If they were listening to Henshaw they'll have been fecking delighted.............. for a minute ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:52 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Hadn’t thought about that. Talk about rubbing salt into their wounds! 😂

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:23 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:52 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Hadn’t thought about that. Talk about rubbing salt into their wounds! 😂
On their forum, they'd taken it fairly philosophically as something that happens when you play big clubs away...I mean plenty of calling folks cheating bastards etc. :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:34 pm

"It's almost as if people have got used to criticising, used to negatives. And when Bolton are doing well, it upsets them. How can that be? If you don’t want to support the team then don’t bother."

In the pre-Oldham presser, Evatt's chirpiness turns to bullishness on the subject of Saturday's game...

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... w-victory/
It’s amazing. Don’t watch us. If you don’t want to support the team then don’t bother. I don’t understand how anyone can be negative at the moment considering what we have been through in recent history.

I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can be negative about Saturday. A team came and had two banks of five, defended in their own half for the majority of the game, we made 630-odd passes, more forward passes than most of the league did in the entirety of their passing in a football match. We don’t smash it long, we don’t boot it, we try and create, what is there to be negative about? We have just won five straight games and six out of seven, what is there to be negative about? What is the matter with people?

It is almost as if people have got used to criticising, used to negatives. And when Bolton are doing well, it upsets them. How can that be?

I’m absolutely baffled, astounded. I honestly do care how we win. And you ask all the other managers, all the other people in football about how Bolton Wanderers play and they will say we’re a fantastic team which plays football the right way. That is how we should be spoken about and it’s how we should have been spoken about following the game on Saturday. That’s a fact.

If you don’t like us passing it around and want us to boot it up to the front man, it’s not changing. We can’t boot it up there because we haven’t got any physicality at the top end of the pitch. That is what these League Two defenders want – big hairy-arsed defenders who are 6ft 5ins want to head it out all day long – they don’t want us moving and probing them and having rotations and passing patterns, that’s what they don’t want.

If you want to see that then go and watch someone else because you are not going to see it here, that’s my message to them. And I am talking about one person in particular there and you all know who I am talking about.
On Bolton FM/iFollow claims that Miller's goal was offside and "covered a multitude of sins":
It’s important that you understand how it happened. It was the 92nd and 93rd minute of the game. We could have easily panicked and just booted it forward to someone who is five foot eight, five foot nine and couldn’t win a header.

We didn’t. We picked and we probed and we were patient and then one bit of good movement from Shaun and Arthur and a good pass from Declan scored us a legitimate goal, a well worked goal. Nothing flukey, nothing lucky, nothing fortunate about it. It was well worked.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:10 pm

Oh, I wonder who the "one person in particular" is! intriguing.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:10 pm
It'll be Insane!

He's being a little prickly there. We're all chuffed we've won. Isnt it in the general nature of sport afterwards that we then discuss what we could have perhaps done better? It's a lot more preferable than dissecting yet another defeat, like we have done for the last umpteen years but he's in the wrong business if he thinks a win, any win, wont be scrutinised.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Presumably Henshaw. Given the later reference to the commentary. Its a bizarre rant - I mean if we go and win loads of games then fine. But why on earth invite that pressure on yourself?

If I could distill and articulate the bit of Evatt I don't like (and I actually don't dislike him at all) it's this....
' I honestly do care how we win. And you ask all the other managers, all the other people in football about how Bolton Wanderers play and they will say we’re a fantastic team which plays football the right way.'
'
We spent the best part of a decade laughing at managers who said this sort of nonsense especially after they played us. Souness, Benitez, Wenger - it was laughable. There isn't a right way to play football. Just a win, draw or loss at the end of the day. I absolutely despise people who think there is some sort of arbitrary 'we're playing the right way so deserve more'. I think that is my biggest issue, I've never got on board with this line of thinking. I'm completely the opposite. If you find a way to win you're golden - no matter how.

All this does for me is fire teams up to come out and show us. I find it really odd. Almost as though he's covering up for his own frustration at the way we played?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:30 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:26 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
It'll be Insane!

He's being a little prickly there. We're all chuffed we've won. Isnt it in the general nature of sport afterwards that we then discuss what we could have perhaps done better? It's a lot more preferable than dissecting yet another defeat, like we have done for the last umpteen years but he's in the wrong business if he thinks a win, any win, wont be scrutinised.
I like Evatt's passion, and all the fans are buzzing that we are on a good run & now in the play off places, but this comes across a little small time if he's having a go at Henshaw on ifollow, its one commentator not any supporters - he doesn't & did not need to get involved in this sort of thing IMO.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:31 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
It'll be Insane!

Ha I wish. Its the commentary he's bothered about apparently. Aren't we all Mr Evatt....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:37 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:30 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
It'll be Insane!

I like Evatt's passion, and all the fans are buzzing that we are on a good run & now in the play off places, but this comes across a little small time if he's having a go at Henshaw on ifollow, its one commentator not any supporters - he doesn't & did not need to get involved in this sort of thing IMO.
The thing is - he wants to be careful because should we have a bad run then Henshaw (assuming they don't ditch him) will be able to have a good dig. This is the thing, you keep quiet till you've proven it.

Only Ian Evatt and Arsene Wenger think passes earn you points...or should do. Its honestly a very very bizarre argument. 630 passes where half are backwards and sideways doesn't make for an entertaining watch and surely Evatt can accept that. Quick and incisive passing with a purpose does. Just like booting a long ball up to an isolated front man - not so exciting. Hitting cross-field balls to Super Kevin Davies and having Jay Jay, Youri etc to play with the second ball - that's exciting. So the style doesn't dictate how good a watch you are. Nor how likely you are to win. The way you implement and perform it does.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:46 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
It'll be Insane!

He's going to love it when there's 12,000 professional coaches all screaming for them to "put it in the faxxing mixer"...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:10 pm

According to WhoScored, we played 416 forward passes. JSL

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:21 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:10 pm
Like that'll stop 'em!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:21 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:10 pm
Like that'll stop 'em!
Heh, I wasn't suggesting it would.

On Henshaw, while I agreed with his pieces-of-eight insistence that we needed someone to run at the Barrow defence - not always, IMO, but to mix it up while we're probing, as I said at length yesterday – he did spoil that by desperately suggesting we "take off a full-back" to add a striker, which is a somewhat 1980s idea. These days in just about any formation on the attack, the full-backs offer the width, or at least a good portion of it, and in trying to overcome a low block your width is essential. All that tactic would have done would be to add to the people waiting in the box surrounded by defenders while hobbling ourselves on one side.