Remaining fixtures

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by knobpolisher » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:04 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:34 pm
Question for all. Would you take a point on Saturday?
Unquestionably yes. Then with one win from our final 2 games would see off Morecambe,. Tranmere or fgr or Newport would need to win all their remaining fixtures. Tranmere and fgr play each other. Easy.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:08 pm

I want all three, thanks. :-) We're on about how good Morecambe are, but they still have one less point than us and despite their goals, the same GD. We've both got 13 points from our last 6 games. They had 1 shot on target against us last time after Maddison had been sent off and scored from it. We was robbed.

It wouldn't be disastrous to come away with a point...:-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:39 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:04 pm
Unquestionably yes. Then with one win from our final 2 games would see off Morecambe,. Tranmere or fgr or Newport would need to win all their remaining fixtures. Tranmere and fgr play each other. Easy.
Why is it impossible for Morecambe to win their last two games? That would put them 2 points above us if we only drew there and won one.

To answer DSB’s question our best chance of going up is winning at Morecambe. I don’t think we will win all 3 so let’s try and win there. A point isn’t awful either but pressure would remain high.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:55 am

Readily
May the bridges I burn light your way

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:39 pm
knobpolisher wrote:
Why is it impossible for Morecambe to win their last two games? That would put them 2 points above us if we only drew there and won one.

To answer DSB’s question our best chance of going up is winning at Morecambe. I don’t think we will win all 3 so let’s try and win there. A point isn’t awful either but pressure would remain high.
Its impossible because I had been drinking gin and wine which deducted morecambe three points.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:38 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:39 pm
knobpolisher wrote:

Its impossible because I had been drinking gin and wine which deducted morecambe three points.
Well do it again then, my dear KP! :mrgreen:

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:42 pm

Want all 3. Not afraid of them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:29 pm

Looking at fixtures - after Morecambe we have...

Exeter Home and Crawley away. Exeter right bang in play off push - Crawley were but I suspect now they are out of it and will be certainly by final day.

Morecambe have Walsall away who've not had a great season have nothing to play for and lost the last 2 and Bradford at home who's play-off push has been de-railed with 3 straight defeats.

Now you can say what you want on paper but football doesn't always pan out. I can't imagine though we'd be wise to rely on anything other than Morecambe winning their last 2 - its not certain - but I'd say its best to assume they will, and form, and the season as a whole would strongly point that way. Teams with nothing to play for can be awkward though as I note below. I suspect though Walsall won't be and Bradford who might seem to have decided to take early summer holidays (and are away at the beach in Morecambe for the last game).

Our two games potentially look trickier - Exeter may still be in the hunt for a play off place and indeed may need to win at ours to have a chance. Crawley who aren't a bad side at all one assumes will either be the classic 'nowt to play for' Peterborough esque - show willing but ultimately fold or be relaxed with no fans in the ground and want to make our lives difficult. Either way I come back to - our best chance is to win at Morecambe, giving us two shots at getting the next win.

I'd almost say a draw and given the fixtures its 50:50 as even though we'd retain the point advantage any draw or defeat for us in either game means Morecambe have the edge.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:53 pm

Ruling out Morecambe would certainly not be Wise..! Wahey! :oops:

For me, we have to think winning . Our defence has been severely tested, but can our banjo marksmen finally find the range and score the goals. This surely applies to our last three games..are Morecambe's wins due to great play or poor defence from the oppositions? That surely is a relevant question...?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:35 pm

Morecambe will be playing to win. Draw doesn't help them. They will want to put automatic in their hands and out of ours. So I expect them to attack from the whistle. That should give us the freedom to play, and so I expect Doyle to get a few chances. Hopefully he will bury one. We hardly score more than one, and so our defense will stand up to the test as they usually do.

We like it when teams come to play instead of parking the bus and looking to counter. We do better against those teams..so I think we have a more than even chance coming home with the points.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:16 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:35 pm
Morecambe will be playing to win. Draw doesn't help them. They will want to put automatic in their hands and out of ours. So I expect them to attack from the whistle. That should give us the freedom to play, and so I expect Doyle to get a few chances. Hopefully he will bury one. We hardly score more than one, and so our defense will stand up to the test as they usually do.

We like it when teams come to play instead of parking the bus and looking to counter. We do better against those teams..so I think we have a more than even chance coming home with the points.
Grimsby did exactly the same though and peppered us.

I sense a game like Salford away. A cagey 1 nil wil be agony to watch but I'd take that over the last away game.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:25 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:16 pm
irie Cee Bee wrote:

I sense a game like Salford away. A cagey 1 nil wil be agony to watch but I'd take that over the last away game.
Carlisle also came at us in the second half yesterday, and it didn't particularly lead to us creating loads of chances. To be honest I'd be over the moon if Morecambe sat back, but clearly very little chance of that.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:37 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:25 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:16 pm
irie Cee Bee wrote:

Carlisle also came at us in the second half yesterday, and it didn't particularly lead to us creating loads of chances. To be honest I'd be over the moon if Morecambe sat back, but clearly very little chance of that.
I suspect Morecambe may end up sitting back a little more than usual. They know that it is a must-not-lose game just like ourselves. Drawing still leaves them in contention whereas a defeat would be catastrophic towards their automatic promotion push. Doesn't look like Tranmere have enough to overturn the 4 point deficit so its between us and Morecambe for the final spot I would suspect.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:13 pm

Quick mention of today’s other games, for the record.

Leaders Cambridge host Stevenage, who were aged out 1-0 in midweek by title hopefuls Cheltenham. Cambridge are four points clear of us so today could be the day our title dream dies – but equally, we could clamber back within a point of them.

Cheltenham host Colchester, who have proven hard to beat for the top teams all season. 2pts below Cambridge and 2pts above us, with a game in hand, Chelt play their game in hand (home to Carlisle) in midweek.

Tranmere host Barrow, for whom a win would seal safety. Tranmere are 4pts behind us with three games left, so if we win and they lose, we’re sure to finish above them.

FGR are at Crawley, who are six points outside the playoffs. We’re 7pts clear of them but they have four games left; even so, again we could end today uncatchable by them, if we win and they lose.

Newport are at Exeter, one place and three points below them with much better GD – arguably the division’s second biggest match of the day. Newport are 8pts behind us with four games left, so again if we win they can’t catch us if they lose – or draw.

50 minutes to team news. I’m working today so will do live score flashes (on the Morecambe thread) as soon as I know them, but let’s hope we do our job. COYWM

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:46 pm

Well, that was pleasant. For future generations watching this thread on T-W Gold:

Cambridge 0-1 Stevenage
Cheltenham 1-0 Colchester
Morecambe 0-1 Bolton
Tranmere 1-0 Barrow
Crawley 0-0 FGR
Exeter 0-0 Newport

...meaning that we're now four points clear of Morecambe with two games remaining; a win in either will see us up even if Morecambe win each of theirs 200-0.
FT 18.21.19.jpeg
FT 18.21.19.jpeg (30.43 KiB) Viewed 757 times
Cambridge's surprise loss at home to Stevenage - the second successive visitors to sack the Abbey, after Exeter a fortnight ago - opens up the possibility of a second-placed finish, and although Cheltenham's win makes the title less likely, we're now only two points off the top.

MIDWEEK
Cheltenham have their game in hand in midweek - Carlisle at home, one for the purists; the Cumbrians still have an outside chance of the playoffs but they're five behind. FGR and Newport also have games but the Welshmen can't catch us and the Tofu Tottenham are nine behind, so let's concentrate on the top five.

SATURDAY
Party-pants on as we host Exeter, although the Grecians will have their own reasons to win - they're currently 9th and 3pts below the playoffs but, like the teams in 6th, 7th, 8th and 10th, play their game in hand on Tuesday (home to Grimsby in their case).

We're the only team in the top five at home next weekend (the reverse is true for the final fixture). On Friday night Cambridge are at Harrogate, no patsies, who interestingly host Cheltenham on the last day. Everyone is is a Saturday 3pm: Cheltenham are at Newport, who might by then be out of the playoffs. Morecambe are at Walsall, who've won 3 of their last 5 (including against Tranmere and FGR). And Tranmere are at FGR, now unbeaten in three.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:48 am

Exeter might be a different opponent depending on their midweek game, though their goal difference is superior enough to count.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:03 am

Exeter have won 6 on their travels. Three points for us would see us up. COYWM.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:06 am

We just have to do our job one more time.

Exeter are a decent side and there are pros and cons as to whether they're still chasing the play offs or their season is over by next Saturday.

Either way, it's going to be a nerve fest :|
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:15 am

Don't forget Morcambe need to get a result at Walsall too. The Saddlers haven't got anything to play for other than their pride, but I'm hoping they won't roll over.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:57 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:15 am
Don't forget Morcambe need to get a result at Walsall too. The Saddlers haven't got anything to play for other than their pride, but I'm hoping they won't roll over.
Tranmere have same points as Morecambe too...should be incentive enough!