Remaining fixtures

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:44 pm

Walsall came to us and parked the bus. Morecambe try to do that every week. If they're nervy, it's possible both teams will camp on the edge of their own penalty areas while lambs gambol in a centre-circle full of growing daisies.

It will be interesting to see if Morecambe are wounded by their defeat. Tranmere's proximity might incentivise them but it might also make them more nervous - they've now got two teams to match/better.

For their part, Tranmere have wobbled for a while and must be resigned to the playoffs unless a lot of planets align (they need to win both, us to win neither and Morecambe to not win both).

And if the teams below them win their games in hand on Tuesday, it's possible that both Morecambe and Tranmere will be not just 4pts behind us but only 4pts above being out of the playoffs, and with the teams below them having significantly better GD. Prepare for bums to squeak.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:56 pm

Morecambe are physically wounded; an injured ful back and a suspended one. Plus the ones they already had and a small squad. I think Tranmere are the ones most likely.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:15 pm

We’ve two games left and need 1 win. I’d assume one of the two will win their two games. So let’s just do our job. Easiest way to do that is beat Exeter but as Super John and Jack Dearden say - when do Bolton ever make anything easy?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:13 pm

Interesting discussion on possibilities but for me, the only thing on my mind is to win against Exeter. Game, set and promotion.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:28 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:13 pm
Interesting discussion on possibilities but for me, the only thing on my mind is to win against Exeter. Game, set and promotion.
Can't add anything useful,I.C.B. but I totally agree, or as Sherlock Holmes said: “ When you have eliminated the impossible,(losing) whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?” — :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:30 am

Would be really nice to see promotion confirmed on Saturday followed by a cameo appearance by Politic on the final day. Is he eligible to play?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:11 am

Mar wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:30 am
Would be really nice to see promotion confirmed on Saturday followed by a cameo appearance by Politic on the final day. Is he eligible to play?
Yes. He’s underage so he wouldn’t count against the squad-number cap.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:20 am

Interested to see what happens with Politic. Evatt has seemingly jettisoned Darcy (who IMHO was probably our best player last season at least for a period) but promoted Thomasson who has done well albeit probably still not physically on par. When I look at how our widemen play in this 4-2-3-1 or whatever you want to call it, I'm not convinced Dennis would be in the side either given the workrate up and down expected of them. Though undoubtedly he'd have added some x-factor that perhaps at times we've lacked.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:14 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:20 am
Interested to see what happens with Politic. Evatt has seemingly jettisoned Darcy (who IMHO was probably our best player last season at least for a period) but promoted Thomasson who has done well albeit probably still not physically on par. When I look at how our widemen play in this 4-2-3-1 or whatever you want to call it, I'm not convinced Dennis would be in the side either given the workrate up and down expected of them. Though undoubtedly he'd have added some x-factor that perhaps at times we've lacked.
Now, don't get me wrong, I like Darcy. I think he's got potential, and I think he's been somewhat underused this season - I'd have certainly been considering him for Sarce's injury-vacated #10 berth.

But our best player last season? Please. Next to Verlinden, Politic, Bridcutt, Murphy... Darcy stood out as being one to watch. But I'm not having that he was our best player.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:44 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:14 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:20 am
Now, don't get me wrong, I like Darcy. I think he's got potential, and I think he's been somewhat underused this season - I'd have certainly been considering him for Sarce's injury-vacated #10 berth.

But our best player last season? Please. Next to Verlinden, Politic, Bridcutt, Murphy... Darcy stood out as being one to watch. But I'm not having that he was our best player.
Best player perhaps isn't right word. He just was (in what was always a doomed season) the one who I guess made me most excited in watching the potential. Verlinden was never our player and Politic for me didn't show the consistency or all round game Darcy did.

But we know youngsters burst onto the scene and then disappear, ala Zach Clough, and we'll just have to see.

Young George if he gains that little extra strength has the potential to be one of our players for a very long time since he's got a nice all round game (that will improve) and isn't reliant on a trick or element of surprise or raw pace. He's got a ways to go yet.

I'm not in any way suggesting Darcy should have played more - given Evatt's style and how he plays the game clearly something isn't right with Ronan as you'd imagine he'd have played him far more if that was not the case.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:01 pm

Politic from a purely physical perspective is a lot further down the line than Darcy, and based on pictures he's shared during his rehab he appears to have filled out since last season. As you mention, BWFCI, he would need to be pressing and tracking to hold down a place in an Evatt side, but he's certainly got the natural ability.

As an aside, did it ever get announced what we're actually doing with the reserves/B team? I know the pandemic put the brakes on that level of football, but going forward we need the lads who aren't getting in the match day squads to be getting some kind of game time.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:23 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:01 pm
As an aside, did it ever get announced what we're actually doing with the reserves/B team? I know the pandemic put the brakes on that level of football, but going forward we need the lads who aren't getting in the match day squads to be getting some kind of game time.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebol ... 40711.amp/

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:23 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:01 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebol ... 40711.amp/
Ah yes, I do remember this article now. Still unclear about what exact form the second string will take then, but there's going to be something.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:52 am

I reckon wins for Cheltenham, Barrow and Grimsby tonight.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:17 am

I'm warming to the idea of Morecambe going up in third (they'd likely come straight back down; so, I fancy, would one-trick Cheltenham) and Cambridge being edged into an unsuccessful playoff campaign. Mullin's out of contract in summer, and the Scouser offered his services to us a year ago...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:34 am

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:17 am
I'm warming to the idea of Morecambe going up in third (they'd likely come straight back down; so, I fancy, would one-trick Cheltenham) and Cambridge being edged into an unsuccessful playoff campaign. Mullin's out of contract in summer, and the Scouser offered his services to us a year ago...
Heard a good rumour we're after Mendes-Gomes from Morecambe IF we go up. So are loads of others apparently. 15 goals in 42 league 2 games. Only 22. Suspect might be a bit expensive if likes of Rangers are interested though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:45 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:34 am
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:17 am
Heard a good rumour we're after Mendes-Gomes from Morecambe IF we go up. So are loads of others apparently. 15 goals in 42 league 2 games. Only 22. Suspect might be a bit expensive if likes of Rangers are interested though.
Interesting. From their local paper: "Though he only signed a one-year deal with Morecambe last summer, it’s rumoured that contract contains an option for the club to extend it by a further 12 months. Adams would not say one way or the other if that was the case."

Will be very interesting to see who we go after in summer. Like last year but with more hope.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:35 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:52 am
I reckon wins for Cheltenham, Barrow and Grimsby tonight.

Looks as just as indefinite as ever to me based on none of them giving much away, although Cheltenham look a banker bet. . Barrow and Grimsby look the patsies, but then, Grimsby?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:29 pm

Cheltenham basically got promoted on Saturday. I'm hoping they have been celebrating.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:02 pm

GOAL NEWPORT 1-0 Scunny (Taft pg 29')
GOAL NEWPORT 2-0 Scunny (Demetriou 34')
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.