Remaining fixtures

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:36 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:57 pm
FT Colchester 2-2 Tranmere.

Annoying as they were 2-0 down but I’d have settled beforehand for them dropping two points.
Apparently they're leggy, look like their race is run, pizza cup has done them. Also Crawford is 'abysmal' and 'a ghost'.
Oh, and we're definitely going up.

(Possibly emotional Tranmere mate shortly after FT)

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:25 pm

The plot thickens! A hell of a race to the finishing line! One game at a time. Beat who is in front of us next. Then breathe... and reset.. for the next.

There are no easy games!! But its all in our hands now as everyone plays everyone.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:38 pm

Still ten games to go. But the old saying of it being better to have points in the bag than games in hand proven correct!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:04 am

Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:51 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:47 pm
Now TV is Sky's pay per view/pay monthly/pick up and pay/app thing (apart from Sky Box Office but we'll not go there), so I think the £8 will be what it costs anyone. I think.
Super. Thanks
Thanks all, I seem to have sorted this. As Dibs says it's £9.98 per day for the sports package. I found I had to choose a package to set myself up and for a while it looked like I'd paid a tenner for golf or whatever the hell's on today, but when you've downloaded the app (if you're planning to watch on a computer) it then gives you the option to trigger your package, so to speak – so I'll do that Saturday morning to make sure all is cushty (remember folks, the FGR GAME KICKS OFF AT NOON)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:13 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:25 pm

There are no easy games!! But its all in our hands now as everyone plays everyone.
So true. This is being proven by every set of results. Unpredictable isn't the word. As you say, there are no easy games, starting Saturday. We have the bit between our teeth now and we're approaching the home straight. What anybody else do means nothing if we keep winning. COME ON YOU WHITES... :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:44 am

Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:04 am
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:51 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:47 pm
Now TV is Sky's pay per view/pay monthly/pick up and pay/app thing (apart from Sky Box Office but we'll not go there), so I think the £8 will be what it costs anyone. I think.
Super. Thanks
Thanks all, I seem to have sorted this. As Dibs says it's £9.98 per day for the sports package. I found I had to choose a package to set myself up and for a while it looked like I'd paid a tenner for golf or whatever the hell's on today, but when you've downloaded the app (if you're planning to watch on a computer) it then gives you the option to trigger your package, so to speak – so I'll do that Saturday morning to make sure all is cushty (remember folks, the FGR GAME KICKS OFF AT NOON)
Thank heavens someone mentioned which game it was!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:00 pm

table.jpeg
table.jpeg (40.11 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
First, a little bit of housekeeping. In the last three matchdays, playoff hopefuls Exeter, Salford, Crawley and Carlisle have played nine games, winning none, drawing three and losing six. Although all have at least one game in hand on everyone in the top seven, they simply aren’t winning enough to be considered right now: only if we have a couple of winless games (and they hit form they can’t find at the moment) will they come back into our particular orbit of concern. For now, I’m going to leave them out of the picture. The line we’re concerned with now is not the dotted one below the playoffs, but the solid one denoting automatic promotion.

Getting above that line isn’t quite in our hands. Winning on Saturday lunchtime at FGR would take us above our hosts and into the top three, but possibly only for three hours until Tranmere – currently two points and five goals better off than us – host Mansfield. But hopefully for the next three-game phase games – this weekend plus the Easter double (the only game next midweek is Carlisle-Crawley) – it’s essentially a three-way bunfight for one place between us, FGR and Tranmere. And nobody’s got an easy ride.

FGR host us (currently 5th), go to Bradford (14th) on Good Friday and host Salford (9th) on Easter Monday.
We go to FGR (3rd), host Colchester (21st) then travel to Newport (7th).
Tranmere host Mansfield, travel to Cheltenham (1st) then host Cambridge (2nd).

FGR’s opponents after us are on bad form: we broke Bradford – after five straight wins they’ve got 2pts from the last five – and Salford are all over the shop with one win in eight. We have avenge defeats to Evatt’s first two League Two UniBol visitors, who both happen to be top-seven, either side of taking care of business at home to Colchester. But Tranmere, after hosting a Mansfield team who held FGR in midweek, have to face the top two – in games where draws might do us the world of good... Providing we keep our side of the street tidy.

Maybe, just maybe, after this three-game burst we won’t be looking at a three-way fight with FGR and Tranmere for automatic promotion. Maybe, just maybe, we’ll be eyeing up a three- or four-way battle for the title itself as well as the automatics. Let’s hope so, eh?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:35 pm

Are you riding the Discombobulation Express, DSb? I was looking at the league table yesterday and playing mind games with with the numbers. Permutations, combinations, team weighting etc. I gave up when I felt that a mental collapse was imminent. :(

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:38 pm

Dujon wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:35 pm
Are you riding the Discombobulation Express, DSb? I was looking at the league table yesterday and playing mind games with with the numbers. Permutations, combinations, team weighting etc. I gave up when I felt that a mental collapse was imminent. :(
Never my intention to perplex, dear boy, only to explain.

The next three matches are very important.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:33 pm

Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:38 pm
Dujon wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:35 pm
Never my intention to perplex, dear boy, only to explain.

I agree. Next 3 are huge and will decide whether its playoffs or automatics. I would take 5 points from those 3 games and keep the unbeaten run going. I thought Newport were the best team we've played this season (Tranmere 2nd). Statistically speaking, 82 points has been the average for 3rd place over the last 10 seasons but I think we will need less than the average this season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:04 pm

enrdentw wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:33 pm
I agree. Next 3 are huge and will decide whether its playoffs or automatics. I would take 5 points from those 3 games and keep the unbeaten run going. I thought Newport were the best team we've played this season (Tranmere 2nd). Statistically speaking, 82 points has been the average for 3rd place over the last 10 seasons but I think we will need less than the average this season.
Draws against FGR and Newport wouldn't be disastrous, but given the oppo's positions they could also feel like three points dropped: the two we don't get for not winning, and the one we allow them. Each is an opportunity to wound an enemy while maintaining momentum – and wins against rivals could have a demoralising effect: like I said on the FGR thread, their form has dropped off and Newport are also not quite the team they were earlier in the season.

In simpler terms: if we beat FGR tomorrow we go above them, but if we don't we don't, and it's nearly April.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:19 pm

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:04 pm
enrdentw wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:33 pm
Draws against FGR and Newport wouldn't be disastrous, but given the oppo's positions they could also feel like three points dropped: the two we don't get for not winning, and the one we allow them. Each is an opportunity to wound an enemy while maintaining momentum – and wins against rivals could have a demoralising effect: like I said on the FGR thread, their form has dropped off and Newport are also not quite the team they were earlier in the season.

In simpler terms: if we beat FGR tomorrow we go above them, but if we don't we don't, and it's nearly April.
The refreshing thing is, IE will be taking us there and preparing us to win the game.

I really look forward to match days at the moment.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:02 pm

FT FGR 0-1 Bolton
FT Exeter 1-0 Salford

So before the 3pms kick off here's the table:
before 3pm.jpeg
before 3pm.jpeg (43.86 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
3pms include
Carlisle-Cambridge
Morecambe-Cheltenham
Tranmere-Mansfield

Newport-Scunny was postponed to April 27th cos of internationals. And as far as we're concerned teams outside the play-offs don't count right now...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:21 pm

L MORECAMBE 1-0 Cheltenham (McAlinden 20')

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:24 pm

As it stands. Some division, this.
table 3.23.jpg
table 3.23.jpg (27.35 KiB) Viewed 1137 times

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:28 pm

Come Easter Monday evening i really fancy us to be top.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:37 pm

Need to up our shitty goal difference.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:40 pm

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:24 pm
As it stands. Some division, this.
table 3.23.jpg
Rummaging in my memory box to think when goal difference cost us promotion/relegation. Being elusive?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:48 pm

L Carlisle 0-1 CAMBRIDGE (Mullin 45+2')

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:49 pm

L TRANMERE 1-0 Mansfield (Woolery 45+3')