The Bantams wait: Bradford (A) 6/3/21, 3pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The Bantams wait: Bradford (A) 6/3/21, 3pm KO

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:04 pm

They only came to life in the second half once we scored. Caught us with a sucker punch after going a goal down, which is exactly what we’ve done to a few teams this season. Doesn’t make it any easier to take though!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:09 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:23 pm
How many goals from outside the box, how many headers from set pieces / corners.
According to Who Scored right now - so I dunno whether it includes today's games - we've had 157 shots from outside the box, which is the division's fifth highest. However, we've only scored 4 from outside the box: the only teams to score fewer are Cheltenham, Morecambe and Harrogate, interestingly two of which are in the division's top four and somewhat long-ball.

Per same source, we've only scored 5 from set pieces - same as Salford, with only Colchester scoring fewer.

So there's definitely room for improvement on both those scores.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:25 pm

I’d be starting Arthur again...feel like he’s the only wide player we have with a goal in him. Dapos a cracking footballer but his shooting let’s him down. Isgroves final anything tends to let him down. I think Arthur is our lead assist player and the winger with the most goals. Get him back in that side.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:52 pm

I'd stick with that line up if they're all fresh enough.

Just need to work on that final ball to create more chances from our dominance. I'd also like to see us try a few more forward passes. Once or twice we had free kicks in decent places but opted to play a short square pass often putting ourselves under unnecessary pressure.

I'm splitting hairs though. After the dross of the last decade it's great to see us dominate games like that and look so in control.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:26 pm

Plenty of positives for today. We dominated possession, created plenty of chances and nullified the opposition.

Given we were both in form teams and high on confidence it's a good result.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:07 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:52 pm

Just need to work on that final ball to create more chances from our dominance. I'd also like to see us try a few more forward passes. Once or twice we had free kicks in decent places but opted to play a short square pass often putting ourselves under unnecessary pressure.

I'm splitting hairs though. After the dross of the last decade it's great to see us dominate games like that and look so in control.
I just don’t see why Isgrove starts over the other options. His delivery is just poor in my view. Dapo sometimes lacks end product but can go past players and is quick. For me I’d like Delf back in the side or Gnu because both offer something a bit different in their respective ways.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:07 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I just don’t see why Isgrove starts over the other options. His delivery is just poor in my view. Dapo sometimes lacks end product but can go past players and is quick. For me I’d like Delf back in the side or Gnu because both offer something a bit different in their respective ways.
Isgrove works so hard. He was everywhere. I can see why he starts. His deliveries are mainly poor but he works way more than Delf or Maddison to get us up the pitch.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:18 pm

I thought Isgrove had a decent game today but he can be frustrating. It was Gethin Jones whose delivery was poor today imo. On another day he gets it over the first man or picks a forward out.

Again though, just minor issues. 1 to 11 I thought they played well. Gilkes with a great save, Santos his usual strong self, Baptiste playing his best ever football for us and John being the best left back we've had since Ricky.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:39 pm

This was the first game I've been able to see in a while and I must say I was very impressed with the performance overall. A little unlucky not to win it, but I'd have taken a point beforehand.

I'm not the greatest at analysing individual performances, but I thought Isgrove was fine whereas Sarc & Doyle were a little underwhelming. The Santos-Baptise partnership looks solid and Afolayan - while clearly not the finished product - shows promise. And all the others are cool too. Gilks' save at the end was top draw.

Onwards and upwards.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:03 pm

Isgroves all round play is better, works harder and positionally sticks to his role. I get why he started away but his final ball and shooting just isn’t great. He had one of our best chances second ball from a Dapo or Sarce pull back and contrived to get his feet tangled on the penalty spot. 1 goal/2 assists from 21 games. Arthur’s done more from less football. I’d take a gamble on him or Delf starting instead on Tuesday.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:07 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Agreed (well I can see why he starts but I wouldn't). Working hard isn't good enough on its own for a player in the front three. Just no end product at all.

I'm not suggesting we can get away with carrying anyone but with the back 4 and sitting two (who were both excellent again) the main attribute of our right winger should be goals and assists, not nullifying league 2 left backs.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:22 pm

Can see why isgrove starts away games but he should've been subbed after an hour with the end product so lacking. Definitely wouldn't start him Tuesday.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:28 pm

As for giving someone a hammering, I don't see it with this team. Finishing and final ball aren't quite good enough and we aren't direct enough for that to happen. Often we've only played with urgency when chasing it, although that's got better.
I see us winning games by dominating the ball and defending well, not blowing teams away.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:02 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:28 pm
As for giving someone a hammering, I don't see it with this team. Finishing and final ball aren't quite good enough and we aren't direct enough for that to happen. Often we've only played with urgency when chasing it, although that's got better.
I see us winning games by dominating the ball and defending well, not blowing teams away.
Yep. We have a lot of ball but don’t really create that much. It’s why often more economical teams do well. Might not dominate but well drilled on set pieces and get crosses into the right areas. For all we can say about should have won today I’d say Bradford forced Gilks into one superb save and scored another.

We did a bit more in front of goal but not all that much more. One cleared in front of line, Dapos shot and Doyle missing the header plus the goal. Our major moments.

The chances don’t reflect how dominant at times we were and it’s probably our major weakness. Converting that dominance into clear chances and goals.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:04 pm

My man of the match was Lee. I reckon he’s the best player in this league, and comfortably the best signing we made in January. Not only does he have excellent touch and balance, but he also has a tremendous engine and attitude. He’s a player who seems to be everywhere, whilst somehow remaining under the radar.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:55 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:04 pm
My man of the match was Lee. I reckon he’s the best player in this league, and comfortably the best signing we made in January. Not only does he have excellent touch and balance, but he also has a tremendous engine and attitude. He’s a player who seems to be everywhere, whilst somehow remaining under the radar.
I feel with Lee they way I felt about Gary Speed, he makes things happen but you're not sure how
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:35 am

Lee just looks like he has time on the ball where others don’t. Class act. Need to get him in and around the box a bit more for a goal or two...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:58 am

knobpolisher wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:55 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:04 pm
I feel with Lee they way I felt about Gary Speed, he makes things happen but you're not sure how
There was one point where he sent several players scurrying around in various directions just by standing still and looking like he was going to do something. Then strolled away nonchalantly with the ball and passed it to one of ours. Superb.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:14 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:11 pm

Isgrove works so hard. He was everywhere.
I don't wish to be rude, but if that's the criteria then we may as well stick a kit on a Border Collie.
I'd like nothing more than to see Isgrove's endeavour yield end results, but I've seen more than enough now to suggest that it's not going to happen.
Time for a re-think, I think.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:31 am

Evatt: “ Obviously we needed Lloyd (Isgrove) and Dapo (Afolayan)’s work ethic today, but there will times where Marcus (Maddison), Nathan (Delfouneso) and Arthur (Gnahoua) are going to start games and hopefully win us the games in a different kind of match. It was just the match today with the way it was going to go, we needed that energy.”
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... rs-future/