10 years to the day since...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

10 years to the day since...

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:45 am

The FA Cup Quarter final at Birmingham. Pretty much the edge of the cliff for me, after that it all turned a shiny shade of shite!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: 10 years to the day since...

Post by DJBlu » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:54 am

Whomever broke that mirror, walked under the ladder, etc after this game then feck you.

Is it 10 years of bad luck for walking on a crack in the pavement?

Did anyone get the spoons Coyle left at Wembley?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:44 am

In the background, I can hear the noise of Eddie's chequebook slamming shut (not that he didn't have to reopen it)...

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:56 am

A rather enjoyable game of football to be in the away end, that.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:01 am

Tremendous day out, tremendous game. Only decided at 9pm the night before to go - cue early morning rush to the train to make sure I was there in plenty of time to get a ticket on the door.

Everybody there that day knew, with absolute certainty, that our name was on the cup that year. We were going to win it for Nat.

And then it all went to hell.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:55 am

Was a class game, end to end, then pegging us back twice, belting goals as well. Early kick off so a few beers after as well, vaguely recall throwing some lofty the lion moves out in one of the boozers...

Deffo in my top ten of away days.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:32 am

It is weird to think that after that game, the next time we'd experience sheer exuberance and joy and limbs like the Birmingham City away end would be in league one at Port Vale....if someone had said that at the time they'd simply not have been believed.

It was a great day that I don't think contained any forewarning about what was to come. Stoke in the semi, avoiding the Manchester giants...it all seemed to be falling into place. Ok we weren't going to win it but we'd be in the final, the stuff of dreams really. And then....just awful.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:32 am
It is weird to think that after that game, the next time we'd experience sheer exuberance and joy and limbs like the Birmingham City away end would be in league one at Port Vale....if someone had said that at the time they'd simply not have been believed.

It was a great day that I don't think contained any forewarning about what was to come. Stoke in the semi, avoiding the Manchester giants...it all seemed to be falling into place. Ok we weren't going to win it but we'd be in the final, the stuff of dreams really. And then....just awful.
Possibly the build up to that Stoke game did us in. Losing Holden to a knee break against Man Utd and having to play Elmander in midfield suggests bad management in terms of equipping the squad up to that point as we really didn't have any strength in depth.

Our midfield:
Muamba, Holden, Taylor, Petrov, Gardner, Riga, M.Davies, Rodrigo Moreno, Cohen, CYL, Joey O'Brien, Sean Davis and a 17 year old Josh Vela.

If we ignore the widemen, it leaves us with:
Muamba, Holden, M.Davies, Cohen, Joey O'Brien, Sean Davis

M.Davies, Sean Davis and Joey O'Brien all had injury problems which left us with Tamir Cohen as the only recognisable workman-like backup option. M.Davies was never a solid ball winner and the rest provided reasonable cover but not to the extent that would bode well for the future.

Add to that some questionable signings of Pratley, Kakuta and Reo-Coker to prop up our midfield and its hardly surprising that we sank in that final premiership season. The quality simply wasn't there, nor was the effort and work-rate. Constantly over-run on the Petrov side and although I really rated Robinson in terms of effort and work rate I didn't think he was at the quality required to cover both positions.

It's sad really as the early days under Coyle were definitely interesting but to completely avoid all the warning signals that were happening from a board level was woeful mismanagement. Not one of the signings improved the squad over that summer transfer window. Couple that with losing Cahill, Taylor, Elmander, Al-Habsi and Muamba to the heart issues and it's hardly surprising we went down. Hell we flogged Cahill and didn't bother replacing him.

It's arguable that our squad was still good enough to stay up but the mentality just wasn't there.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:11 am

We sold Cahill and spent more than half the money on Tim Ream. Tim Ream!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:03 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:11 am
As Mar said, we didn't bother replacing Cahill!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:41 am

And the rest on Marvellous Marvin. Who played about 10 mins at Stoke.

Despite it all we'd still have stayed up if he'd not been so stubborn and brought Jaaskelainen back in for a clearly not ready Bogdan.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:05 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:41 am

Despite it all we'd still have stayed up if he'd not been so stubborn and brought Jaaskelainen back in for a clearly not ready Bogdan.
That goes for so many things during the final months of Coyle's tenure. Persisting with Bogdan over Jussi. Subbing off Muamba every chance he got. Mindless devotion to "attacking football" whilst completely forgetting that half the game is about winning the ball back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:11 am
If ever there was a phrase that sums up Owen Coyle that is yet.

And yet our fans loved Ream......absolutely zero idea why.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:59 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:05 am
Prufrock wrote:

That goes for so many things during the final months of Coyle's tenure. Persisting with Bogdan over Jussi. Subbing off Muamba every chance he got. Mindless devotion to "attacking football" whilst completely forgetting that half the game is about winning the ball back.
Almost forgot about the Muamba substitutions.

It's almost as if Coyle took Muamba off to make us more attacking. I suspect Muamba's attitude led more to that as i'd imagine Reo-Coker would've kicked up more of a fuss.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:36 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:05 am
Prufrock wrote:

Aye, when you go down by a point plus GD there will always be moments you can see he could have x or y but it's the repeated ones. Bogdan, away games 0-0 after an hour, take off Muamba and lose 2-0. Good run with 4-5-1, back to 442 with no pace. The man was a moron.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:54 pm

Zero idea other than you score 4, we'll score 5. Which might occasionally work. His career stats for win percentage has pretty much decreased at every club he's been at from the previous Club. No notion what "defence" means.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:32 pm

The ping pong table
Robbie Blake signing for another year cos ‘he’s a good lad’
13th highest wage bill when we went down

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:21 pm

The understandably out-of-work and universally unwanted Zat Knight rocks up, cap-in-hand, a week before the season starts. Somehow overlooking the facts that (a) he's fecking shite, and (b) we hold the whip hand and could even have taken him on on a pay-as-you-play basis, Coyle awarded him a £30K a week contract. (Who the feck signed off on it though?)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 06, 2021 9:29 am

And three years to the day since...……

Whenever I see this I still remember my delayed reaction - this doesn't happen to us... where's the linesman's flag?.... it's bound to be disallowed for something.... then one of 'feck me, we've actually gone and done it' :D

May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 06, 2021 10:03 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:29 am
And three years to the day since...……

Whenever I see this I still remember my delayed reaction - this doesn't happen to us... where's the linesman's flag?.... it's bound to be disallowed for something.... then one of 'feck me, we've actually gone and done it' :D

Was your first reaction not 'crikey there is still 2 minutes left plus injury time'?