The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:05 am

Just a little over 24 hours to go. How's everyone feeling? Nerves are kicking in here!

On another note, anyone seen the banner that's been installed on the footbridge to the ground? Proper warmed mi cockles that did and another reminder that we've got our club back.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by Mar » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:07 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:19 pm
Our best XI is the best in the division, so if we play up to our potential we will win. COYWM!
We would've thought the same playing Grimsby but it's all about handling the pressures on the day. I'd like to think that this squad has dealt with enough this season to get through the challenge.
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:05 am
Just a little over 24 hours to go. How's everyone feeling? Nerves are kicking in here!

On another note, anyone seen the banner that's been installed on the footbridge to the ground? Proper warmed mi cockles that did and another reminder that we've got our club back.
Not really anxious or nervous regarding tomorrows match. Sort of excited at the prospect but more relaxed than I would be expecting to be. Tomorrows going to be a whole different story.

Not seen the banner. What does it say?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:08 am

Genuinely feel very relaxed. Think we’ll get the job done, and if not we will next weekend.

I’ve seen the banner - is someone suggesting it as a new anthem? Cool Runnings!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:26 am

Mar wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:07 am
Not seen the banner. What does it say?
E0NLVJlXIAAC-HY.jpg
E0NLVJlXIAAC-HY.jpg (210.83 KiB) Viewed 5300 times

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:30 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:05 am

Really hoping somebody posts a pic of it.

Edit. DoNe. Thanks D.S.B. :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:55 am

Nice banner whoever has decided to put it up there. Get the feeling they were pressed for space what with the 'thankyou' missing a space but hey ho, lovely to see.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:16 pm

Guardian piece. https://www.theguardian.com/football/fo ... -ian-evatt

Evatt: “That is one of my goals: to stop people in Bolton wearing Manchester United kits. I want the young kids and future fans to be wearing our shirts, not Man United’s. If we can do things right on and off the pitch with this club, hopefully, we will capture some new fans and build our fanbase.”

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:16 pm

Evatt: “That is one of my goals: to stop people in Bolton wearing Manchester United kits. I want the young kids and future fans to be wearing our shirts, not Man United’s. If we can do things right on and off the pitch with this club, hopefully, we will capture some new fans and build our fanbase.”
That'll be a tough ask . Tell kids not to do something they're sure to do the opposite. Oh, I know Evatt means by example and persuasion , but I'm ashamed to admit my grandson and son in law support United, my next door neighbour is a Scouse supporter and next door but one have three lads who wear Barcelona shirts. Most of the Asian family kids in the area are cricket fans, so good luck with that Ian. :pray:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:58 pm

I'm nervous. I'm nervous because this premature 'job done' feel is clearly getting out of hand and I'm praying that the players don't fall into a similar pattern of misguided belief.
Exeter come here needing the three points whilst looking for snookers in a bid to claim a play off spot. Folk are talking like they're some mid-table, season-over patsies who'll be giving their fringe players a run out.
This is where Evatt really needs to show his mettle - get the players to concentrate on winning this game, seeing it out and absolutely nothing else.
May the bridges I burn light your way

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:11 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:16 pm

Well, now I know what 'MJ' stands for at least.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:58 pm
I'm nervous. I'm nervous because this premature 'job done' feel is clearly getting out of hand and I'm praying that the players don't fall into a similar pattern of misguided belief.
Exeter come here needing the three points whilst looking for snookers in a bid to claim a play off spot. Folk are talking like they're some mid-table, season-over patsies who'll be giving their fringe players a run out.
This is where Evatt really needs to show his mettle - get the players to concentrate on winning this game, seeing it out and absolutely nothing else.
They need to play with some belief! :-) Whilst some of our fans might have a 'job done' about them, I hope there's enough calm heads in the dressing room from the likes of Sarce, Doyle, Lee, Baptiste, Gilks etc. to keep the youngsters in check. Sarce and Doyle were both in promoted team last year, and given Evatt's mantra for weeks has been "Job isn't done yet, we want more from the team", I doubt he'll be sat in the dug-out swigging Cristal all game.

Some calming words from the gaffer.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:58 pm
Not nervous for whatever reason but feel exactly the same. Too many talking like its a formality or planning how they'll celebrate in advance. We need 1 win and I think the results will mean we DO need that win. Exeter aren't going to roll over. We need to do the job and as many on here say its not likely we'll stroll 3-0 winners in any game this season having not as yet done that. So it'll be another tight affair one assumes where a lot of steel, focus and application will be needed.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:15 pm

Just so Los Plasticos (the neighbours) know the score: Image

I bought this off a hawker when we played Athletico Madrid at home. I went straight from work and was in such a rush I left my scarf behind. Turned out lucky (although not much since) and we won 1-0. ae:)
Attachments
madrid.JPG
madrid.JPG (104.19 KiB) Viewed 5227 times

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:18 pm

I can’t get my head around everyone planning the post promotion party if I’m honest. I’m hoping it’s a covid one off; are there seriously going to be people sat outside the ground between 1 and 5 with Tins? It’s a different thing at home - Exeter walk off the bus and it’s their team talk done? It would be one million times better to be in the ground Saturday.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:01 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:18 pm
I can’t get my head around everyone planning the post promotion party if I’m honest. I’m hoping it’s a covid one off; are there seriously going to be people sat outside the ground between 1 and 5 with Tins? It’s a different thing at home - Exeter walk off the bus and it’s their team talk done? It would be one million times better to be in the ground Saturday.
Yeah this is the thing. At Morecambe it was a surprise and no doubt lifted the players. But Exeter will have heard all the talk of 'lets get to the ground and celebrate' and its their motivation - spoil the party - these idiots assume they've already won....
I know its only natural but I'd far rather people organically let it happen rather than start boasting about going to the ground from last weekend and offering up some motivation to the opposition.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:23 pm

This is fundamentally no different than if the ground was open (COVID aside). Some people would turn out in hope and some would turn out in expectation. Some would expect us to fcuk it up, some would expect us to "walk it"....Some would plan for a party, ready to be repurposed depending on the result.

If the ground was open, no bugger would be saying don't turn up, because it might motivate Exeter.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:37 pm

I'm hopeful that Evatt's experiences of promotion as a player give us an advantage in the dressing room.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:23 pm
This is fundamentally no different than if the ground was open (COVID aside). Some people would turn out in hope and some would turn out in expectation. Some would expect us to fcuk it up, some would expect us to "walk it"....Some would plan for a party, ready to be repurposed depending on the result.

If the ground was open, no bugger would be saying don't turn up, because it might motivate Exeter.
I think it’s less about people turning up and more about the social media...let’s have a promotion party stuff. Whilst I agree to an extent that in non COVID normal ground open scenario this would be true also, the situation probably just accentuates it a bit.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:13 pm

I know I'm supposed to be boycotting you lot this weekend, but I thought it was worth noting that Cambridge are at Harrogate tonight. A home win would keep the title dream alive! :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:23 pm

No but at least we would all be watching it and the beach balls would stay deflated.

I don’t think it will play on our lads minds fwiw but it might just give them an extra edge.

Still think we’ll do it.

COYWM