FA Cup 1st Round Replay..: Stocky Tony’s County Away..Stockport replay Wednesday 17th live BBC 2

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: FA Cup 1st Round Replay..: Stocky Tony’s County Away..Stockport replay Wednesday 17th live BBC 2

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:44 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:38 pm
I wish that wasn’t on tele! 😕
Aye, we'll get some stick, (the fans) but can't say the team don't deserve it. Horrible.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: FA Cup 1st Round Replay..: Stocky Tony’s County Away..Stockport replay Wednesday 17th live BBC 2

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:44 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:41 pm
A word for Lloyd Isgrove. I thought he was magnificent tonight. Rest of the team, almost to a man, fell apart but that lad continued to run his legs to stumps and unlike more storied players he never, ever shied away from the ball. Well done him, and basically nobody else.
I don't disagree with the attitude, but he was completely dominated going the other way and he gave them a lifeline with the penalty. Magnificent he was not.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:46 pm

He was unlucky with the pen - their guy bought it. But I’m not complaining - they totally deserved that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:48 pm

I'm stunned anyone can find anything decent to say about any of them. It really is tall dwarf territory.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:50 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:48 pm
I'm stunned anyone can find anything decent to say about any of them. It really is tall dwarf territory.
Santos was the dwarf in the cuban heels tonight, but yeah, absolutely.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:57 pm

A word for Lloyd Isgrove. I thought he was magnificent tonight. Rest of the team, almost to a man, fell apart but that lad continued to run his legs to stumps and unlike more storied players he never, ever shied away from the ball. Well done him, and basically nobody else.
Baka looked ok first half. Couldn't fault Dixon. But isgrove (or Lloyd, as he likes me to call him) is the sort of lad who never lets you down.
It's such a shame about thomason he just isn't going to be good enough at this level. I really root for the lad, as I did brockbank, but they haven't got it. Time for ruthlessness. Including the manager if he can't sort the basics out.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:59 pm

This possession based football needs a brother or a sister that can come in and batter a bully when needed.

We thought we would walk it tonight with shit loads of time on the ball. Stockport's bald striker will be sore tomorrow as he was like Doyle on speed. Quigley was excellent and bullied through the middle.
They pressed and pushed us into mistake after mistake.

The amount of misplaced passes was unbearable.

Unfortunately too many poor players versus a team up for the fight in the cup.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:00 pm

For me, it isn't about formations or personnel as much as it's about mentality.

It was clear very early on that we had no presence in midfield, and with no presence in midfield there was no prospect of us dictating the play. I'd have hoped we might've recognised that, ceded possession and retreated into a low block, put pressure on their wingers when they moved it wide and aim to frustrate them. It probably wouldn't have been enough but it would've at least been reassuring as a demonstration that we had an understanding of what our problems were.

I honestly don't know what we tried to do instead.
Last edited by nicholaldo on Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:01 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:46 pm
He was unlucky with the pen - their guy bought it. But I’m not complaining - they totally deserved that.
Na, he wasn't unlucky - he's just not a fullback. A defender doesn't stick his leg in there, he gets his body in the way and then plays it. Their lad got body position and bought the foul. It's not Lloyd's fault, but he was ripped to bits. He and John, positionally, were dreadful. We've said a few times that maybe they are natural wingbacks....they're not.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:04 pm

We've just leaked five goals to a team two Divisions below us. And do far I've heard 6 names that did alright. WTF were people watching?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:05 pm

I’ve just come in from watching Jason Manford - Did I miss anything?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:06 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:01 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:46 pm
Na, he wasn't unlucky - he's just not a fullback. A defender doesn't stick his leg in there, he gets his body in the way and then plays it. Their lad got body position and bought the foul. It's not Lloyd's fault, but he was ripped to bits. He and John, positionally, were dreadful. We've said a few times that maybe they are natural wingbacks....they're not.
Agree with this, it was nowt to do with luck and a decent defender would indeed know better.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:06 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:05 pm
I’ve just come in from watching Jason Manford - Did I miss anything?
Aye, all the comedy.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:04 pm
We've just leaked five goals to a team two Divisions below us. And do far I've heard 6 names that did alright. WTF were people watching?
I’m struggling to find anyone I’d give as high as a 4/10 to. Maybe Baka. Back four and midfield you can’t in any way excuse any of them.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:08 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:00 pm

That was 100% mentality. Dapo and Lee walking about and Thomason playing no-look passes at 3mph told you all you needed to know about the attitude of most of the players.

What we tried to do doesn't really matter. No amount of tactical acumen would have made up for the total difference in attitude between the two teams. If they hadn't gifted us two goals (and our other was a big deflection) they'd have been laughably comfortable.

We made them look like Premier League Burnley. We were that bad. As soon as our players put a couple of passes together they were all over the show, but there wasn't enough movement and they swarmed the ball and won it back. The number of times Lee stood in a blind position and yelled at Izzy to basically beat three men on his own made me want to punch the TV.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:10 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:44 pm
I don't disagree with the attitude, but he was completely dominated going the other way and he gave them a lifeline with the penalty. Magnificent he was not.
Opinions, etc. Had we had more Isgroves, we might not have lost. Pen was a shame but when others hid he tried. It’s a low bar but not many reached it. Under the circumstances I thought his mentality was superb when others let the club down.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:07 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
I’m struggling to find anyone I’d give as high as a 4/10 to. Maybe Baka. Back four and midfield you can’t in any way excuse any of them.
Ball didn't really stick, I thought...

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:15 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:08 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:00 pm

That was 100% mentality. Dapo and Lee walking about and Thomason playing no-look passes at 3mph told you all you needed to know about the attitude of most of the players.

What we tried to do doesn't really matter. No amount of tactical acumen would have made up for the total difference in attitude between the two teams. If they hadn't gifted us two goals (and our other was a big deflection) they'd have been laughably comfortable.

We made them look like Premier League Burnley. We were that bad. As soon as our players put a couple of passes together they were all over the show, but there wasn't enough movement and they swarmed the ball and won it back. The number of times Lee stood in a blind position and yelled at Izzy to basically beat three men on his own made me want to punch the TV.

It really does, though, because it would be an indication there was an effort to manage what was happening on the pitch.

If I felt Evatt had tried all he could to mitigate for our deficiences and we'd still lost I'd be more relaxed about it. Instead I saw no attempt to address our problems.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
And do far I've heard 6 names that did alright.
Nobody did alright. Some did what they could to hold together an utter collapse, but it was never close to enough and it ended up like that.

Izzy (whatever his sterling attitude), Johnston and John were all utterly shameful defensively. Santos mostly did his job as the other fell apart around him, until he eventually dropped a bollock missing a header for their third.

Baka and Kachunga put shifts in whilst Lee and Dapo couldn't even be arsed, until they tired and the fact they couldn't trap a bag of wet sand became the only thing about them. They'd have tired less if the other two had done even 50% of their jobs.

Sheehan actually did okay and kept Thomason somewhat together until he was injured. Lee did feck all for the kid and we went to absolutely pieces.

Sod the lot of them tonight, but I'll have forgiven one or two in a few weeks. Some of them will be stained with this in my memory.

Of the lot of them, it's Sheehan who escapes as he left the field before it got really, really bad; but I don't think he'd have made enough of a difference. We were lucky they didn't score 5 or 6 in normal time.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:17 pm

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:10 pm
Opinions, etc. Had we had more Isgroves, we might not have lost.
Oh, Christ. If everyone on that pitch had Lloyd's attitude we'd have won that. He's just never a defender.