Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:12 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:10 pm
Baxter out for at least another month. ‘Hopeful’ he can return in April.
Forkin 'ell :cry:
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:16 am

I think the worst thing about that news is the apparent abuse Coleman’s family have been getting. fecking shameful.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:24 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:16 am
I think the worst thing about that news is the apparent abuse Coleman’s family have been getting. fecking shameful.
As a backup keeper he’s hardly disastrous. Bit uncertain at times and the odd error early on. But Wigan for example. Didn’t have that much to do. Made one very good save to keep us in the game. Distribution was good.

If anything after a shaky start he’s been let down by those in front of him.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:36 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:50 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:10 pm
Baxter out for at least another month. ‘Hopeful’ he can return in April.
Well now that's a hoof in the goolies.
A hoof in the goolies indeed, given our goaly's hoof is more knackered than we hoped (See what I did there? I'm here all week....)

So annoying that it could be a big part of our season not going how we planned, and he only did it "saving" the Barnsley shot that wasn't flagged as offside until very late (fookin officials again...).

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:37 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Yes, utterly awful.

Comes back to the point I keep making (sorry...). Some of our "fans" are just horrid, abhorrent people. Do we genuinely think its the same at all clubs, or are ours worse? And if ours are worse, why?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:38 am

officer_dibble wrote:
At times like this I am ashamed to be associated with such people, who don't realise their actions reflect on the club and genuine fans . Nothing new; thus as it has ever been. I saw violence at Burnden Park. Clowns will ever be clowns. :evil:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:43 am

officer_dibble wrote:
You're joking?? feck* vile our fans
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:48 am

dave the minion wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:37 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Yes, utterly awful.

Comes back to the point I keep making (sorry...). Some of our "fans" are just horrid, abhorrent people. Do we genuinely think its the same at all clubs, or are ours worse? And if ours are worse, why?
I think you nailed it in the "some of our "fans" are just horrid" bit. I genuinely think most clubs have their collection of idiots somewhere in the internet and social media does this for people, fairly universally. I genuinely wouldn't be on social media if I was a paid sportsman and I'd probably recommend my family wasn't too. (but that's with the advantage of not being in my 20's anymore! :-) ). It only take a few for it to become a story - some of our lot did it with Kacha too, if you recall a short time ago.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:50 am

Jesus wept.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:51 am

Interesting to read that Johnston has been cleared to resume training. Might be a stretch to get him up to speed before the end of the year, but he'd be a tremendous option to bring in even for a few games.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:24 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:51 am
Interesting to read that Johnston has been cleared to resume training. Might be a stretch to get him up to speed before the end of the year, but he'd be a tremendous option to bring in even for a few games.
Suddenly starts to look almost overstaffed at the back - Santos, Jones, Toal, Iredale, Forrester, Johnston, and later Caleb Taylor.

Also note that Nlundulu is mentioned as a possibility for the run-in. Now, out in the wild badlands of public opinion Big Dan had his friends and his enemies, but I think we can all agree it'd be nice to have an alternative to Jerome (and let's face it Bodvarsson has hardly scorched the earth on his latest two sub appearances).

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:03 pm

^^ I'm not sure it's "enemies" as such. Pointing out that the world isn't exactly on fire in a trail behind him, is somewhat different than wishing him any misfortune. I'm sure we'd all be delighted with him blazing a trail. He just hasn't really...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:03 pm
^^ I'm not sure it's "enemies" as such. Pointing out that the world isn't exactly on fire in a trail behind him, is somewhat different than wishing him any misfortune. I'm sure we'd all be delighted with him blazing a trail. He just hasn't really...
twits.png
twits.png (737.57 KiB) Viewed 280 times

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:08 pm

Some people don't rate some footballers, so let's have no comments? Is that enemy criteria now?

I think you're pretty likely to get some commentary about how you perform as a footballer, when people are paying wonga to watch you do it well.

I have no axe to grind with Dan, so to spin it a bit, he's maybe not shown us the full range of his capability, thus far.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:12 pm

Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:36 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
twits.png
Fans that don’t think he’s very good is what I see there. It’s hardly a bunch of people wishing him misfortune. Or enemies.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:23 pm

I don't think I know what's acceptable or not anymore. Strikes me that the sort of barbed criticism DSB has quoted is hardly likely to endear a player to the club or the fans.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:31 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:23 pm
I don't think I know what's acceptable or not anymore. Strikes me that the sort of barbed criticism DSB has quoted is hardly likely to endear a player to the club or the fans.
Don't disagree that it might well not endear a player to the club and we all draw lines in different places. I wouldn't post on a player's social media, twitter, FB etc. or on an open site like BBC. I think saying I don't think Dan's shown us he's very good on here (or even "fcuk me he was awful"), where he'd have to go looking for comment to find it, is not unreasonable.

I also think people are getting easily confused as to what an "enemy" might be. I'm not an enemy of Dan, I want him to succeed. The fact that I don't currently think he's showing us much (pre-injury) isn't indicative of me going out of my way to get him, it's just commentary on the way I see him play...

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:12 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
twits.png
Fans that don’t think he’s very good is what I see there. It’s hardly a bunch of people wishing him misfortune. Or enemies.
You seem to have mis-spelled "knobheads" as "fans" there.....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:55 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:12 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
twits.png
You seem to have mis-spelled "knobheads" as "fans" there.....
Cos they have a different opinion to you?

I mean footballers even league one footballers are highly paid compared to those fans. Many of whom probably sacrifice loads of stuff to go to games. Some spend what little they might have to go to games. Surely it’s as much on the players to perform for fans, nay more so than it is for them to expect unconditional praise and support?

The stuff said in those tweets has been said forever in football grounds in pubs etc. and a lot worse too.

It’s a balance but I think footballers should be reminded of the huge privilege they have to play for the clubs they do and maybe just close down social media and ignore it. Same way they were better off not reading the paper.

I remember back in the day there was a hullabaloo about players complaining about the match ratings Sharrock was giving them in the Bolton Evening News. End of the day I’m sure it wasn’t nice to open it and see a 4 out of 10 rating or a critical report but still the professional footballer can change that by performing. The fan or writer can’t do a thing.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:31 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:23 pm
Don't disagree that it might well not endear a player to the club and we all draw lines in different places. I wouldn't post on a player's social media, twitter, FB etc. or on an open site like BBC. I think saying I don't think Dan's shown us he's very good on here (or even "fcuk me he was awful"), where he'd have to go looking for comment to find it, is not unreasonable.

I also think people are getting easily confused as to what an "enemy" might be. I'm not an enemy of Dan, I want him to succeed. The fact that I don't currently think he's showing us much (pre-injury) isn't indicative of me going out of my way to get him, it's just commentary on the way I see him play...
I agree with you Worthy, and I think you do an awful lot to come across measured in your responses. You're not typical, though - certainly not of social media users. And saying "f*ck me, he was shite today" is, for me, very different from saying "he's the worst player we've ever had" or "I never want to see him play for us again" or any variant on the "pub league player" retort...