A Tutu won't do. V Cambridge at the Unibol Tues Feb 1st, 8-0'clock. 1

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

A Tutu won't do. V Cambridge at the Unibol Tues Feb 1st, 8-0'clock. 1

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:32 am

No second class (2-2-) for us in this University clash, thank you. Cambridge (with Accrington) are sitting two points above us as of kick-off tomorrow and we have a game in hand on both. Taking nothing for granted after our euphoric weekend, we'll surely be well up for this battle of the brains. Six goal thrillers are rarities, not the norm, particularly in this league, so an odd goal win will do nicely. Have at it... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Re: A Tutu won't do. V Cambridge at the Unibol Tues Feb 1st, 8-0'clock. 1

Post by Dujon » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:24 am

Ah, seven o' the clock Wednesday morn for me. All I need is a loud alarm. :zzz:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:31 am

Dujon wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:24 am
Ah, seven o' the clock Wednesday morn for me. All I need is a loud alarm. :zzz:
Get used to it, m'friend - Tuesday night games throughout February. Burton kicks off at 7.45pm (6.45am for you...)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:36 am

Sunderland showed up and thought they could walk through the game. Cambridge will come here and work their arses off.

They're unbeaten in 8, including a win against Newcastle in the cup. They will be well up for it. Really, really tough game.

Going for 8-0 to Bolton.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:56 am

Cambridge at home last season was the finest example of Evattball 1.0; they were in the top three all season and they couldn't live with us.

Evattball 2.0 really took off against Sunderland, with an ability to mix it up but always an intention to get at them, whether with or without the ball.

We've now started a hectic run of games - nine in 29 days, Sat-Tue-Sat-Tue-Sat-Tue-Sat-Tue-Sat – that will go a hella long way to defining our season and arguably next season too: a strong finish would create a lot of positivity about a serious promotion effort next time.

We might also look at rotating. Evatt's triple sub saved some legs and I'd expect regular earlyish changes, especially now we have a strong bench.

It won't be 6-0s all the way but it feels let Evatt has reined in the trash talk.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:02 pm

Are they coming to sit back or go at us? A team that sits deeper for me introduces the need for a target up front more.

I doubt we change the team for this one but if they are proving hard to break down then Bodvarrson and pinging crosses into him would help.

The main takeaway has to be, mix the play up. When we have possession work crossing positions. Virtually every goal came from player quickly and either to turn them round or to get the ball into the box. It was closer to Liverpool than we’ve been before. If that’s the aim.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:05 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:56 am
Evattball 2.0 really took off against Sunderland, with an ability to mix it up but always an intention to get at them, whether with or without the ball.
Feels more like Evattball Redux.

We've only seen Evattball with a slow, small striker up front until now. This is closer to what he was producing with Barrow, except not as fluid with the passing and movement yet. That'll come.

Will be interesting to see how we do against a low block with our options now. Sunderland handed us space.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:22 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:05 pm
Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:56 am
Feels more like Evattball Redux.

We've only seen Evattball with a slow, small striker up front until now. This is closer to what he was producing with Barrow, except not as fluid with the passing and movement yet. That'll come.

Will be interesting to see how we do against a low block with our options now. Sunderland handed us space.
I’d not call Doyle slow. What we’ve stopped doing is worrying about making so many passes. Go more direct. Charles obviously suits this but Doyle and Dapo would have worked to an extent.

More direct. And when in possession work for early crosses or shots. It’s far better because we are simply trying to do less to create chances.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:22 pm
I’d not call Doyle slow.
That's okay. I did it for you.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:39 pm

I have to be admit, there were times this season where it looked as if Doyle was running through treacle. At first, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, having just returned from a COVID infection, but as the season wore on it increasingly looked like his legs had gone.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:20 pm

I'm thinking Cambridge will try to tempt us out (not impossible as there were eight white shirts in Sunderland;s box for a free kick Saturday) and hit on the break. Our defence were impressive and worked hard, but caution is needed. The first goal is always a massive boost (Saturday was pretty even till we scored) and with our strike force power it should be a major factor from now on.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:57 pm

What's the tutu reference about TD?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:02 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:57 pm
A Desmond - a 2nd class degree.

Hopefully we will all start to party again when we score our Douglas.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:30 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:57 pm
University slang Harry.University of Cambridge v University of Bolton. Uni degrees (second class were/are, referred to us Tutu's "2-2) named after Human Rights activist Desmond Tutu. Just to clarify lest you think I'm some sort of Hooray Henry, I never got further than St Josephs and Bolton Tech. :D

https://blog.studentroost.co.uk/underst ... on-busting

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:33 pm

Ah right. I got the 2-2 bit. Forgot about the old Desmond slang. Carry on!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:08 pm

Cambridge will definitely sit off, because that's what Cambridge do – more than any other team in the division so far this season.

Their PPDA is 16.1. What's PPDA? Passes Permitted per Defensive Action, ie how much they let the other team play, outside their own defensive third: the number of opposition passes divided by the number of defensive actions (tackles, interceptions etc).

In case you're wondering, if Cambridge are top of the PPDA "table" Pompey are bottom on 8.9, followed by Rotherham (9.7) and Wigan (10.2). We're ninth-bottom on 12.

While we're in the neighborhood, Cambridge are sort of 8th-10th for directness (measured by the average time their moves take, passes per move and "direct speed" up the pitch). Interestingly, no team has scored more than our five from "high turnovers" - that is, nicking it in the last 40 yards - and with Daps 'n' Dion paired up top I would expect us to get more of these now. It might even start tomorrow, if Cambridge loiter.

Stat source: https://dataviz.theanalyst.com/season-r ... on_id=2021

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:45 pm

We'll shit 'em. 1-0. :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:49 am

Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:08 pm
Cambridge will definitely sit off, because that's what Cambridge do – more than any other team in the division so far this season.
Will be interesting to see fan reaction if they do form that block and we are necessarily forced to slow down our build up play to try and shift them around to create openings for quick ball. Our style of play won't have changed, but perception of it would likely would.

Will be interesting to see if Evatt changes the 11 in anticipation of having to deal with different opposition. Hard to say, "You won 6-0 and I'm dropping you."

Also, as I said to Brommers, a huge test for young Morley. He's done amazingly well exploiting space with one and two touch stuff. Cambridge may present him with a different kind of puzzle and it'll tell us a lot about what he has between his ears if he has to unpick a low block. Same goes for Fossey with less space to run into in behind.

Loads to learn from this one.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:08 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:49 am
Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:08 pm
Will be interesting to see fan reaction if they do form that block and we are necessarily forced to slow down our build up play to try and shift them around to create openings for quick ball. Our style of play won't have changed, but perception of it would likely would.

Will be interesting to see if Evatt changes the 11 in anticipation of having to deal with different opposition. Hard to say, "You won 6-0 and I'm dropping you."

Also, as I said to Brommers, a huge test for young Morley. He's done amazingly well exploiting space with one and two touch stuff. Cambridge may present him with a different kind of puzzle and it'll tell us a lot about what he has between his ears if he has to unpick a low block. Same goes for Fossey with less space to run into in behind.

Loads to learn from this one.
When a team sits deeper make them defend their box time and time again. Work crossing positions and overload the box. As we did to Sunderland numerous times. Including specifically for Charles’ second.

Make them defend their box and it’s likely something happens. Play in front of them all night and it’s exactly what those teams want.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:51 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:08 am
When a team sits deeper make them defend their box time and time again. Work crossing positions and overload the box. As we did to Sunderland numerous times. Including specifically for Charles’ second.

Make them defend their box and it’s likely something happens. Play in front of them all night and it’s exactly what those teams want.
It's about making space to play into.

We can't just boot the ball into the box with our side. Certainly not the 11 we started against Sunderland.

We have to move their defensive unit around and create one-on-ones and overloads, which is actually what we did vs Sunderland. We drew defenders out of position, shifted their defenders across the pitch and then hit men in the space on the other side of the box, which we'd created with passing and movement. That will be more difficult against Cambridge, but the principles will be the same.
Last edited by GhostoftheBok on Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.