Can we Endeavour to solve the Oxford Puzzle? Away to The Uni, Sat 12 Feb, 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Can we Endeavour to solve the Oxford Puzzle? Away to The Uni, Sat 12 Feb, 3-0'clock.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:22 pm

Been thinking, while walking the dog. Oxford's stats suggest they have put together more low-pass attacks than us, and I hesitated to call them direct. I suppose the sort of attack I'm talking about – and that stat is measuring - is like our second v Sunderland: Dapo gets ball, quickly passes for Charles to run on to, and within five or 10 seconds we've scored. Oxford's relatively low "long" / aerial figures – plus their tendency to play some variation of one/three up top around Matt Taylor, who's well under 6ft – suggests they ain't clonking it but breaking at speed. It's the kind of thing we've started to incorporate but also the sort of oppo tactic that still slightly worries me, albeit less so in this current system.

If we play 3-4-3 against these, it could end up any score.

• I would prefer Johnston to Aimson, not least at Oxford will be quick on the ball. (Aimson is first defensive reserve, but not IMO good enough to drop any of the first three.)
• I wouldn't switch to a back four because that would encourage their wide men onto us; let them worry about our wingbacks bombing on.
• I would be tempted to pick Lee for his experience, and ask him to do that half-10 role where he joins when we high-press but also drops back when we're sitting. It could be that Dempsey reverts to the bench again for this one, nobody now has a divine right to start every game.
• Speaking of which, I fully understand the idea of resting (not dropping) Dapo, who can have the last half-hour.

Trafford; Jones, Santos, Johnston; Fossey, Lee, Williams, Morley, John; Charles, Bod. Subs: look to get Dapo, Sadlier and Baka on individually between 60 and 75 minutes; Thomason, Aimson, Gordon and Dixon the others.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Can we Endeavour to solve the Oxford Puzzle? Away to The Uni, Sat 12 Feb, 3-0'clock.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:31 pm

Agree with all that DSB. We beat Oxford here but they had injuries and in reality that game was end to end, they broke very quickly on us and could easily have beaten us on the day - game could have been any score more or less.

I feel it’s the sort of game you have to stay in and utilise threats off the bench well. An hour of their centre halves battling the Big Icelander and then seeing Dapo come on fresh does I think have an appeal to it. That the reverse doesn’t so much in that especially away from home I’d like to exploit gaps as the game goes on rather than have to play more into a target.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:41 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:22 pm
Been thinking, while walking the dog. Oxford's stats suggest they have put together more low-pass attacks than us, and I hesitated to call them direct. I suppose the sort of attack I'm talking about – and that stat is measuring - is like our second v Sunderland: Dapo gets ball, quickly passes for Charles to run on to, and within five or 10 seconds we've scored. Oxford's relatively low "long" / aerial figures – plus their tendency to play some variation of one/three up top around Matt Taylor, who's well under 6ft – suggests they ain't clonking it but breaking at speed. It's the kind of thing we've started to incorporate but also the sort of oppo tactic that still slightly worries me, albeit less so in this current system.

If we play 3-4-3 against these, it could end up any score.

• I would prefer Johnston to Aimson, not least at Oxford will be quick on the ball. (Aimson is first defensive reserve, but not IMO good enough to drop any of the first three.)
• I wouldn't switch to a back four because that would encourage their wide men onto us; let them worry about our wingbacks bombing on.
• I would be tempted to pick Lee for his experience, and ask him to do that half-10 role where he joins when we high-press but also drops back when we're sitting. It could be that Dempsey reverts to the bench again for this one, nobody now has a divine right to start every game.
• Speaking of which, I fully understand the idea of resting (not dropping) Dapo, who can have the last half-hour.

Trafford; Jones, Santos, Johnston; Fossey, Lee, Williams, Morley, John; Charles, Bod. Subs: look to get Dapo, Sadlier and Baka on individually between 60 and 75 minutes; Thomason, Aimson, Gordon and Dixon the others.
I'm guessing this is an oversight on your behalf, but I'd certainly be picking Dempsey on the bench over Thomason.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:47 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:13 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:35 am

Personally…..In the system we are playing I’d have Johnston in for Aimson absolutely. Especially against a quick and mobile Oxford side (at least they were at our place). But also because whilst I thought defensively Aimson did a good job he looks completely out of place on the left hand side of the back three and lost the ball a lot. In a back four I’d have Aimson over Johnston any day.
Do you think he'll go with a three or a four? Saturday's going to be a busy afternoon for our defence and I'd be happy to see us try to sure-up for a point. The reason that they're 11 points clear of us is principally because they've scored 10 more goals than we have, including the six we put past Sunderland.

A point at Oxford will be a very good point indeed, I reckon.
I imagine he will stick with the three at the back given we’ve 5 wins and 1 draw with that system.

Balls to a draw. We aren’t going down now. And realistically these are the games we have to win if we want even a push at the top six.

Go for the win. We might lose. It wouldn’t surprise me. But I doubt we will go to Oxford and sit it out for a 0-0 so yeah…
Exactly
:oyea: :oyea: :oyea: :oyea: :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:05 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:54 am
I'd have Johnstone back in in a heartbeat. Aimson did a manful job and good to know he can do it if needed but we lost a lot going forward every time we went left as he's uncomfortable on the ball out there. Slowed things down, and often turned back and lost it.

Though Dempsey struggled at 10. Certainly not writing him off but Lee is fit and suits that roll better at the moment. Wouldn't surprise me to see one of MJ/Morley rotated and Dempsey dropping deeper just given the number of games.

I'm also not convinced Dapo is "burnt out" rather just didn't have a great game. He looked knackered in early Jan but then didn't start against Ipswich (came on for 20) or Shrewsbury (came on at half time) for a combined 75 mins in 18 days then an electric 72 mins against Sunderland, good 76 v Cambridge, quietish 66 v Morecambe and quiet 72 v Charlton.

We've got options, which is great, and wouldn't surprise me to see someone else come in. But I'd still pick him for this one against a team more likely to leave space in behind.
A counter point on strikers is that we are bringing on the big lads as the opposition tires. Yet I think Dapo coming on with 25 left to run at tiring defenders could be murder.

Dapo and Charles are the best pair right now but I do think we need to find a way to get Bod in and also to have a bigger change up front.
Don't disagree but horses for courses and a lot of games. Looking ahead we've got Burton away on Tuesday, then Wombles at home the Sat after, both of whom I'd expect to sit in more, especially Wombles. I'd start Dapo on Saturday and then reassess.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:36 pm

I think it will be a fun game, 3-2 either way. Let’s hope our lucks in!

I’d bring Johnston back in, and I would start Dad Bod up top. Can also see Lee coming back in the side as well… cmon you white men!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:42 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:41 pm
I'm guessing this is an oversight on your behalf, but I'd certainly be picking Dempsey on the bench over Thomason.
Ha! Yes. Which means we now have four game-changing options off the bench, and even less excuse not to use them.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:16 am

We could put Xav on there as well!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:18 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:47 pm

Balls to a draw. We aren’t going down now. And realistically these are the games we have to win if we want even a push at the top six.
How's the headache? :D :pissed:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:25 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:16 am
Aye, and apparently Kachunga is "back on the grass". Intrigued to see how he (and Xav) might blend with a better quality of front player.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:35 pm

Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:25 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Aye, and apparently Kachunga is "back on the grass". Intrigued to see how he (and Xav) might blend with a better quality of front player.
Only, Amaechi's going to struggle to get a game just now. :?

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:11 pm

Anyone heading to this one? Been ages since I last saw a TWer at a game/pre-match.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:15 pm

HMX wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:11 pm
Anyone heading to this one? Been ages since I last saw a TWer at a game/pre-match.

Sadly not. But, I should be at Gillingham in a few weeks if you're going to that game too.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:20 pm

So, I'm out da loop on this stuff. Will it be available on iFollow?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:20 pm
Not unless you happen to be on 'holiday' outside of the UK...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:07 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:38 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Ah, understood. Cheers, fella.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:07 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:38 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Ah, understood. Cheers, fella.
Anyway, the big boss DJ Blue might be able to sort you out with a spot on his couch if you keep an eye on this thread.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:10 am

I'll be there. Tottering about on crutches looking like stig on the dump. But I'll be there.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:00 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:35 pm
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:25 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Only, Amaechi's going to struggle to get a game just now. :?
Evatt's saying now that Amaechi could play one of the wing back positions or even play as a number 10. Interesting.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:58 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:00 am

Evatt's saying now that Amaechi could play one of the wing back positions or even play as a number 10. Interesting.
From my somewhat limited knowledge (these days) of positional play, Ameachi as number ten to Bod's Striker might give Dapo and Charles a needed rest toward season end when we see where we lie. ( Evatt may even play Bod and Charles up front today ?) Ameachi though, would have to prove himself fully (and continually) fit. Kachunga could probably do the box-to-box job as well? Just don't move Fossey out of the right wing back slot on pain of a giant sulk.. :D .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?