CAM on you Whites. Away to Cambridge United, Sat 12th Nov 3 o'clock .

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: CAM on you Whites. Away to Cambridge United, Sat 12th Nov 3 o'clock .

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:40 pm

I’ve thought a lot about it this evening and for me whilst I’m not Evatt out or any of that nonsense if I was running the club I’d be on the phone to Richardson tonight to see if he fancies it. I just don’t see where we are going. Either we grossly overrate our players or we are significantly underperforming. As usual it’s probably somewhere in the middle. I don’t think Dapo is as good as some say but to be playing Kachunga over him is honestly a joke. I think we’ve got enough to be way better than we are. And that has to come down to the manager. I don’t see where he’s taking us, how he’s ever likely to have much better a squad here than this, in the past he’s had excuses of lack of players of requisite quality but for me whilst he doesn’t have the best squad in this league it’s certainly top 6. I’ve seen most sides and I think almost all look more organised than we do and have a set pattern of play that they try and score from. We don’t. Only one team in the entire football league has scored fewer goals than us away from home. The late wins and comebacks should have galvanised us to start performing, instead we’ve gone the other way. And that is honestly the most concerning thing.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:40 pm
I’ve thought a lot about it this evening and for me whilst I’m not Evatt out or any of that nonsense if I was running the club I’d be on the phone to Richardson tonight to see if he fancies it.
Sounds pretty much like Evatt out to me when you would be actively pitching his job to someone else.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:57 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I’ve thought a lot about it this evening and for me whilst I’m not Evatt out or any of that nonsense if I was running the club I’d be on the phone to Richardson tonight to see if he fancies it.
Sounds pretty much like Evatt out to me when you would be actively pitching his job to someone else.
I’m not running it am I? And difference between Evatt out as an absolute and a manager has just become available who has won promotion out of this league last season and has links to the club…who probably is a better manager than evatt….

We’ve got a better squad than we are showing but of course they won’t change him. I just think we really should be asking the question as to what is going on….

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:13 am

Leam Richardson has been in charge of two clubs and has the sum total of one promotion, unless I'm much mistaken. His record isn't as fantastic as you'd have us believe, and unless you've spent more time watching that lot down the road than you've spent watching us, I doubt you've much more idea than anyone else how good he actually is a a boss.

We all know that as far as you're concerned, the grass is always greener in the field we just left, and in the next field over the fence, but for you to be proclaiming a bloke with more assistant manager gigs than seats in the big chair, and just the one success, as the next messiah is both laughable and laughably predictable.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:40 am

Big Shout Out to Trafford. Some fantastic saves to keep us level. We do look like a struggling team. We have nothing going forward. We actually looked better after Charles and Kachunga came off, even when we had 10 men without them. Those two gave us nothing. Bradley tries his best. He and Traff are the best we have at the moment, and they are not ours. Bod, Lee, Dapo, MJ all missing for various reasons with Dapo getting a little run near the end. Those are our next best players plus Santos, but are not playing regularly. Evatt knows best I guess, or is he playing the guessing game too, picking the team based on training analytics and not on quality. Hence Charles always starts because he runs a lot in training even though he has the first touch of an elephant during games. Who knows.

I hope come January we are still close enough to mount a late challenge. Some out of contract players need to move on and make space for better players from higher up the league to give us a play off chance.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:15 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:13 am
Leam Richardson has been in charge of two clubs and has the sum total of one promotion, unless I'm much mistaken. His record isn't as fantastic as you'd have us believe, and unless you've spent more time watching that lot down the road than you've spent watching us, I doubt you've much more idea than anyone else how good he actually is a a boss.

We all know that as far as you're concerned, the grass is always greener in the field we just left, and in the next field over the fence, but for you to be proclaiming a bloke with more assistant manager gigs than seats in the big chair, and just the one success, as the next messiah is both laughable and laughably predictable.
A bloke who won this league last year. He knows what it takes to get a team out of it. There are going to be few available who have relevant recent success from this league so he’s the first that has come available and is a realistic option that makes me think.

I’d also add that it’s only boringly predictable that your response is not the discuss the argument but the poster. I’ve noted that all the criticism I’ve laid down in this thread nobody has actually taken on. Probably because it’s impossible to argue against it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:50 am

I'm pretty sure it's still the same sport. "Experience of this league" is one of the most bollocks lines people come out with. Our manager has got a promotion from the conference and league two. That seems fairly relevent to me.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:26 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:50 am
I'm pretty sure it's still the same sport. "Experience of this league" is one of the most bollocks lines people come out with. Our manager has got a promotion from the conference and league two. That seems fairly relevent to me.
Is he using the squad he has available well? That’s the relevant question. For me he’s not. But If someone believes otherwise then make the case.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:17 am

We've got a good manager and a good squad. At present they both seem to have lost their way. Teams go through this, although I've not been that convinced with us this season. Stick with him this season for me. See where we are in Summer.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:17 am
We've got a good manager and a good squad. At present they both seem to have lost their way. Teams go through this, although I've not been that convinced with us this season. Stick with him this season for me. See where we are in Summer.
You have to assess whether you are progressing or missing an opportunity. Football is about brief windows of opportunity. The days of saying ‘well we finished two places higher so it’s progress’ are over. Next season we will have to replace a number of players. We will face three well resourced teams coming down again.

This squad is underperforming. In my view. This season is the opportunity for me. We don’t want to miss it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:22 pm

I think IE needs a bit of a think, because I reckon most of what we've seen recently is probably a fair distance from the vision he paints himself...

TBF to Insano as Evatt is making minor adjustments and a bit of tinkering, I don't think it's unreasonable to say "not sure what he's trying to do." We've not looked close enough to good, to think that just a quarter turn on that nut is going to solve it.

I'm not looking for a life raft yet (and equally not sure I'd jump on the first one that drifted past). It's fair to judge on a whole season, but the Pies weren't as good post Jan as we were.

The larger question for me, is where has that post Jan mentality gone? And before we get onto mop top, we found ways through after he got injured. Not trying to discredit Flossie, nor suggest we're necessarily better without him, just that we found ways without him.

I don't dislike Kacha or owt, but does anyone have the foggiest why he's starting most games? I like Baka and Charles too, but was anyone at all thinking that combo's worth a three goal lead, yesterday?

Forget who said it last week (I think), but does anyone actually know our best XI for whatever it is he's trying to do?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:29 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:22 pm
I think IE needs a bit of a think, because I reckon most of what we've seen recently is probably a fair distance from the vision he paints himself...

TBF to Insano as Evatt is making minor adjustments and a bit of tinkering, I don't think it's unreasonable to say "not sure what he's trying to do." We've not looked close enough to good, to think that just a quarter turn on that nut is going to solve it.

I'm not looking for a life raft yet (and equally not sure I'd jump on the first one that drifted past). It's fair to judge on a whole season, but the Pies weren't as good post Jan as we were.

The larger question for me, is where has that post Jan mentality gone? And before we get onto mop top, we found ways through after he got injured. Not trying to discredit Flossie, nor suggest we're necessarily better without him, just that we found ways without him.

I don't dislike Kacha or owt, but does anyone have the foggiest why he's starting most games? I like Baka and Charles too, but was anyone at all thinking that combo's worth a three goal lead, yesterday?

Forget who said it last week (I think), but does anyone actually know our best XI for whatever it is he's trying to do?
If you go back and watch the games at the end of the season we weren’t playing well but strikers were banging in most half chances. See Wigan away. Barely created anything. Hung in at 1-0 and Bod gets the equaliser with more or less our only chance. We are playing the same now but strikers aren’t scoring those half chances. Or full chances.

Goals absolutely change the whole outlook. If the plan is to hope they refind their Second half of last season form then I’m not sure why we aren’t playing our better ones and instead giving Kachunga who has never been prolific so many minutes.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:32 pm

I cannot fathom a front three of Charles, Bakayoko and Kachunga, when sadlier JDB (I know not yesterday) and Dapo kick their heels most games. It’s weird.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:44 pm

The eternal optimism of the football supporter is alive and well in this one 😊
I'm working on the theory that Evatt's sides perform better from January onwards, and that we're currently in a stronger position than we've ever been at this point since he took charge.
Clutching at straws? Maybe.
It doesn't alter the fact though that I'm currently quite pleased when we're away/have no game as I don't have to go and sit through some of the worst football I've seen in many a year.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:57 pm
Mar wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I’m not running it am I? And difference between Evatt out as an absolute and a manager has just become available who has won promotion out of this league last season and has links to the club…who probably is a better manager than evatt….
No, you are clearly not running it. You were hypothesising as to what you would do if you were in charge of the situation and the actions you laid out was actions you would undertake if you were Evatt out. It's akin to saying i'm not Evatt out but i'd replace him.

As for Richardson being a better manager, you argue the same for Owen Coyle as he got Burnley promoted from the Championship. Might just be a case of right person at the right time. Evatt has shown it wasn't just a flash in the pan at Barrow as he got us promoted from League Two. Hopefully that carries on.

And as for Wigan getting promoted that season, Richardson had to sign 24 players to achieve that success. Can't imagine a new manager having any such luxury here.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:32 pm

Mar wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:22 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:57 pm
Mar wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
No, you are clearly not running it. You were hypothesising as to what you would do if you were in charge of the situation and the actions you laid out was actions you would undertake if you were Evatt out. It's akin to saying i'm not Evatt out but i'd replace him.

As for Richardson being a better manager, you argue the same for Owen Coyle as he got Burnley promoted from the Championship. Might just be a case of right person at the right time. Evatt has shown it wasn't just a flash in the pan at Barrow as he got us promoted from League Two. Hopefully that carries on.

And as for Wigan getting promoted that season, Richardson had to sign 24 players to achieve that success. Can't imagine a new manager having any such luxury here.
Evatt hasn’t got a track record to back himself on. A non league promotion in a curtailed season and our promotion based on half a season are obviously a good start to life as a manager. But lots of managers start well.

I get Richardson might have just got lucky but from the position Wigan were in with the signings needed to win this league was a hell of an effort. Maybe a flash in the pan. You can never really tell. But my senses are that he’s good and knows the consistency required down here.

Evatt is developing patterns as a manager that concern me. Telling everyone how brilliant a squad he’s got before tripping up round October then talking about January rebuilds. It’s two years in a row. It’s not the same as last year because we demonstrably have a better squad. It just feels like right now that squad is being wasted.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:44 pm

You'll forgive us if your senses tell you isn't enough to be persuaded by.

Of course fine to question Evatt. And if he got potted Richardson wouldn't be the worst shout. But absolute hard no from me just now.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
You have to assess whether you are progressing or missing an opportunity. Football is about brief windows of opportunity. The days of saying ‘well we finished two places higher so it’s progress’ are over. Next season we will have to replace a number of players. We will face three well resourced teams coming down again.

This squad is underperforming. In my view. This season is the opportunity for me. We don’t want to miss it.
I agree with the limited opportunity bit but Evatts done enough to earn the extra time. It's not like Sammy Lee when you can tell early on he's out of his depth and need to act quickly.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:44 pm
You'll forgive us if your senses tell you isn't enough to be persuaded by.

Of course fine to question Evatt. And if he got potted Richardson wouldn't be the worst shout. But absolute hard no from me just now.
I’m not expecting anyone to agree with the notion. I’m simply asking the question as to whether you believe the squad is being used to its full potential or not?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:54 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I agree with the limited opportunity bit but Evatts done enough to earn the extra time. It's not like Sammy Lee when you can tell early on he's out of his depth and need to act quickly.
I absolutely respect that view. You may well be correct. That’s what I mean by I’m not ‘Evatt out’. It’s not a case of him having to go. It’s for me a case of do I think possibly someone could get more out of this squad and I think there is a chance they could.

I think he deserves more time but the fact is football isn’t anymore about what a manager deserves but what the club needs. He’s not going anywhere it’s purely a hypothetical discussion.

And I’m very much in the Bruce Rioja camp of absolutely dreading the games they are just hard to watch. I think if there was literally any enjoyment in watching us I’d have a different view.