January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:35 am

What Wickham and Eaves both scream is "We need to replace a 30+ target man who did his ankle."

Wouldn't want either here longer than 6 months, but for that amount of time...meh, fine.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:39 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:29 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:26 am
brommers95 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:05 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:56 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:50 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:56 pm
But we need two strikers and one of those is said to be on loan.
No idea if the Devine thing is right (we have watched him, along with Scarlett and others), but if the loan you mean is the one I think it could be possible that becomes us buying the player out early and we do this one.

My personal feeling when I saw the story was that we'd have asked after him in case we didn't get Shoretire, but trying to make it make sense you sort of can.
3 years on his contract….just back from hamstring injury. A permanent deal would be some surprise and unless the lad takes a huge hit would be probably our biggest deal yet.

I’ve heard we are or were also considering Wickham btw….
Talk of Wickham is a bit concerning to me as it points to just how desperate we are. The only reason he didn’t get injured at Forest Green is because he didn’t do any work off the ball. Not ideal.
Eaves or wickham both scream absolute bottom of the barrel desperation to me sadly.

And I think that’s where we are a bit by all accounts.
What do you mean by this? I thought you said the other day you had no insider information from the club, so whose accounts would these be?
I don’t directly. And this isn’t inside knowledge, other than wickham was being thought about….

But we are absolutely looking at players we wouldn’t have done in normal circumstances.

Ade sure…I think he was someone we had ear marked as a possible.

But others….are just filling a hole…not that we can get around this. It is what it is. But no way would Eaves or Wickham be players we look at without Bod being injured and the other two going. It’s a short term fix.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:40 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:35 am
What Wickham and Eaves both scream is "We need to replace a 30+ target man who did his ankle."

Wouldn't want either here longer than 6 months, but for that amount of time...meh, fine.
Yeah agree. But that would mean a loan for eaves. He’s not ripping up a 3 year deal and we aren’t paying him out of it for 6 months. So has to be a loan or a long term deal….

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:40 am
Yeah agree. But that would mean a loan for eaves. He’s not ripping up a 3 year deal and we aren’t paying him out of it for 6 months. So has to be a loan or a long term deal….
That's what I mean by not fecking the summer up by doing too much to cover for short term issues.

If we panic now and offer Eaves 2 1/2 years we'll regret it later.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:55 am

To be fair gents, we probably/might have no choice here.

Its all well and good to be unenthused, but - through no fault of our own - we are desperate and not in a strong position.

Its very easy to criticise, but i haven't seen many alternatives put forward....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:58 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:43 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:40 am
That's what I mean by not fecking the summer up by doing too much to cover for short term issues.

If we panic now and offer Eaves 2 1/2 years we'll regret it later.
It’s why it has to be a loan. Surely?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:00 am

Not seeing a lot of alternative suggestions.

If we sign X, Y from Champo - too old!!!!
If we borrow A,B from Big Club - too young!!!!
If we do nowt - too understaffed!!!!

Who should we hire? Who could we hire?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:04 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:00 am

Ghostbusters?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:04 am

Yeah January is a bad window to be shopping in. Eaves isn’t too old it’s just he’s not exactly done a lot for a while. On principle I think he’s ok - but only on loan. Not as a permanent until we’ve had a good look.

Wickham is better imo but the injury situation there and inability to really play full pelt would put me off.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:16 am

To be fair, we don't know the budgets. I'd have said Eaves wouldn't be possible, before he suddenly was.

My two targets, if I had a choice and was realistic (and was avoiding loans), would be Adeboyejo and Lavery. Neither ticks Evatt's "experienced goalscorer" box, though, which Eaves does from his time at Gillingham. Lavery might be out of the question due to the changes at Blackpool.

Tom Eaves isn't a terrible shout. I could make a strong case for him being an excellent signings for any League One club. My concerns are all around how we play, his fitness and the terms of the deal.

If our window ins ended up as Randy, Devine, Shoretire, Nlundulu, Adboyejo and Eaves you'd be hard pressed to say we've not massively improved our options in attack.

More variety, more quality, etc

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:33 am

^Id say wait and see what they do. All those players could go either way.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:33 am
Which way were Dapo and Baka going?

Any signing can go either way. Not sure you can say those players don't fairly obviously increase Evatt's options and how much raw quality is in the squad.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:50 am

Eaves is an "interesting one" - I'd have thought he'd have suited Rotherham better than us (from memory of seeing him play a long time ago), but firing blanks.

Ultimately, we get someone out of hopefully 2 additions than can hit the onion bag, that'd be good. Would prefer loans to panic buys, but that doesn't seem possible.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:05 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:43 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:33 am
Which way were Dapo and Baka going?

Any signing can go either way. Not sure you can say those players don't fairly obviously increase Evatt's options and how much raw quality is in the squad.
Not saying they won’t. We can do a very simple ppg comparison to see. Let’s sign them first though.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:16 am

Spurs folk absolutely not talking about Devine today. That would seem to suggest it has legs. Normally they'd just say there was nothing to it.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:30 am

Preston midfielder Adam O'Reilly is apparently free to leave and has already been in discussions with a number of Lge1 clubs. Would he be the type of player we'd be interested in?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:39 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:30 am
Preston midfielder Adam O'Reilly is apparently free to leave and has already been in discussions with a number of Lge1 clubs. Would he be the type of player we'd be interested in?
If he is, we'll know. Played with Doyle last season.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:11 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Can't have been particularly highly regarded at Preston as never got a chance in their first team and spent most of his time on loan in non-league. Seems more likely he'd be headed for a Fleetwood or Morecambe than to us.
Last edited by The_Gun on Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:15 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:11 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Can't have been particularly highly regarded at Preston, as never got a chance in their first team and spent most of his time on loan in non-league. Seems more likely he'd be headed for a Fleetwood or Morecambe than to us.
It depends. They're reasonably well-stocked in midfield and he's 21. Seems well-regarded at Preston and St Pat's seemed to love him. You're right that it wouldn't be a shock to see him on the Lancs coast but equally, if our staff saw some potential, you could imagine him coming here for a while to see if it suits. It would be buying out his contract (expires June) rather than another loan.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:28 pm

He's the sort of player you'd chant, "You're just a shit Joe Morrell" at. At 21, though, can't say I'd throw a wobbler if we signed him. We've seen how much this lot have improved George Thomason.

Watched a fair bit of St. Pats due to Doyler, as I'm sure a few on here will have. I think he's probably one of those where his size will hamper him playing up the leagues, but he's tenacious little bugger and can carry the ball at reasonable pace.

You'd have to think that the level we aspire to sign now is the players Preston want, not the ones they let go.