January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Mar » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:56 pm

Sorry to see Aimson and Sadlier going. Started off badly for the guy and gradually increased in quality culminating in our 7 clean sheets in a row at home. Understand the business point of view though, contract up at the end of the season and if we're not securing him for another year we'll be seeing him gone for free. Might as well get a new signing in, possibly on loan to cover that 5th choice centre back slot (not that I'm considering Aimson to be 5th choice, far from it). And Sadlier, well worth his goal efforts

Looks like Toal, Rico and Johnston as the main back three with Jones being able to cover CB's as well as the wide slots, so he should be able to get a decent amount of game time i'd imagine.

On the striker front i'm feeling a lot more confident now. Adeboyejo has a good scoring record this season in League One for a struggling Burton, hopefully that'll improve again with more quality in our side than theirs.

Our forward lineup looks well stocked, now consisting of Charles, N'lundulu, Adeboyejo, JDB, Kachunga and Jerome.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:57 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:41 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:34 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:32 pm
Aimson gone to Exeter 2 1/2 year contract
I'm intrigued as to who his superior replacement might possibly be?
I don’t think we will be able to improve on Aimson. We will just be case of getting as decent a body as we can.

Think the player wanted to go and we were happy with the money rather than a free in the summer.
I'd be amazed if we can replace Aimson even on a like for like.

Thought he'd done enough recently to warrant at least a shout of a spot, and perhaps curtail his desire for a move. Personally I'd have preferred us to have kept him until the season and then let him go, but then it's not me balancing the books.
I suspect the possibility of Rico coming back has given us some flexibility in letting Aimson go. Can understand him wanting a move, it's not as though Aimson's move didn't work out. It was getting good and he'll be a miss.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:31 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:07 pm
Adeboyejo is exciting. On some levels. Our highest paid transfer for ten years. A striker who is on form. 13 so far this season.

A risk on others.

I think given the circumstances he’s better than we may well have hoped for. So you cannot complain - a worse player than Dapo but maybe a better striker.
Fcuk me. You must piss on your own chips on a daily basis.
That’s me happy. It’s as good as it gets.
He's one of our own, he's one of our own...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:06 pm

Total new-broom transfer session to the norm. We're used t last minute hopes and disappointments and here we are all ship-shape and Bristol. Real shame about Aimson, but there you go; hope he does well as he'll be well remembered here. Be nice to start by giving Charlton a tonking. Up and at em... :Jedi:

COME ON YOU WHITES....... :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:13 pm

Some ideas. Not rumours, just players who might fit holes. I’ve been looking primarily for centre-backs, but with half an eye on wingbacks. Some I’ve mentioned before.

HAYDEN CARTER, Blackburn - excelled on loan in Pompey’s back three, can also play RWB. Has played 12 times in the Champo for Rovers this season, but only 7 starts. Just turned 23. Could be a good loan with an eye to buy in summer.

TAYO EDUN - flying ex-Lincoln LB/LWB looked likely to leave Blackburn for Charlton but that’s off. Another loan-to permanent?

RHYS WILLIAMS - Big talk I know but Liverpool recalled the 6ft5 centre-back from Blackpool where he wasn’t playing as much as they’d like. Could the Bradley effect seem them trust him to us?

PATRICK BAUER - The centre back PNE fans nicknamed the BFG - the G is German, the F ain’t friendly - has been a Champo mainstay for three seasons after switching from Charlton, but has dropped out this season. Just turned 30, contracted until 2024.

MATT OLOSUNDE - “athletic” Yankee RWB? Hey now… Olosunde was brought to these shores by MUFC but found his feet in two seasons at Rotherham (one promotion, one relegation). The move to Preston hasn’t worked and they’re tearing up his contract this very week. He started as a winger, has played right-back, and also RCB for Preston’s reserves. Still only 24. Might be worth a calculated gamble of a six-month contract.

GABRIEL OSHO - Luton utility man, centre-back or def-mid, and can probably play wingback - Luton has tried a few there. Think his contract is lapsing and he’s been in and out of their team. Still only 24, played 45 Champo games, 22 League One. Cameron Jerome could tell us whether he’d be a useful lad to have around.

JON RUSSELL - Unit of a central midfielder (6ft4) that Huddersfield still don’t want and still haven’t got rid of. ex-Chelsea. Aged 22. Out of contract in summer. Question is whether a Champo club will take the gamble.

CARL WINCHESTER - Bit of a flyer this but the 29yo ex FGR utility man (midfield/RB - could be RWB) is running down his Sunderland contract on loan at Shrewsbury. A bit of promotion-winning experience?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:05 am

Hayden Carter's contract is to 2024, right? Good player. Needs a proper home and a long term project.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:44 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:58 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:50 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:41 pm
As neither were starters, I hope they’re replaced by younger players who will accept being reserves initially and who we can develop going forwards.
This is perfectly legitimate, and suits the business model. But I'd also accept the other side of the Prufrock Squad Churn Mechanism: improve the 1st team. Let's see who turns up. Fascinating time to be a Wanderer.
It's so interesting. There are multiple ways to look at it. Do you say, "Johnston and Toal have bene amazing and could be worth loads, so we just back them up" or do you try to improve and them and risk holding their development up? If you sign back up, do you want a journeyman who can come in like Aimson did and be really reliable? Do you sign more kids? Same goes for if you improve....experience or youth?

This is why people get paid good money to make these calls and why so many get them wrong.
I mean, if it's doable, you look to improve right? Value comes from wherever. Don't think anyone expected Toal to be quite as good as he has been. I assume finances dictate we're looking at another one of those. Calculated gamble. If you have to just get a body in fine, but ideally you want to be pushing Geth down to 5 at least.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:24 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:05 am
Hayden Carter's contract is to 2024, right? Good player. Needs a proper home and a long term project.
I think so, yes. I like the look of him, and I think we might be a good fit, but the decision isn’t ours to make. Especially mine 😀

Another RWB expected to leave a Champo club imminently is Josh Emmanuel, late of this parish. He’s at Hull and has been out for ages with “illness problems” - which could be anything - but reports suggest there’s a few L1/2 clubs after him.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:43 am

Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:13 pm

RHYS WILLIAMS - Big talk I know but Liverpool recalled the 6ft5 centre-back from Blackpool where he wasn’t playing as much as they’d like. [/b]Could the Bradley effect seem them trust him to us? [/b]
See, I've been wondering. Might there also be a negative reaction to us calling time on Beck's spell? I do hope not.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:57 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:43 am
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:13 pm

RHYS WILLIAMS - Big talk I know but Liverpool recalled the 6ft5 centre-back from Blackpool where he wasn’t playing as much as they’d like. Could the Bradley effect seem them trust him to us?
See, I've been wondering. Might there also be a negative reaction to us calling time on Beck's spell? I do hope not.
It’s a fair question but just as they’d rather have Rhys back and training with them if he’s not in the first XI, probably same with Beck. The fact he wasn’t in the XI might be a bit awkward but we’ve shown with his mate Bradley that they’re in if they’re good enough - Beck was getting zero minutes in Portugal and might have got more time in a lower-third or fourth tier team.

With Rhys they probably don’t want to “gear down” like that - he’s had two Champo loans - but equally the Bradley thing might show we are good hosts. Is Rhys better than our current back three? Difficult to know but I’d guess it’s quite possible.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:05 am

Nixon with a story about us. No idea what it is as I don’t subscribe to his Patreon. Probably bollocks.

40D51716-A79E-437F-B4A4-54DC7AAD8AAA.jpeg
40D51716-A79E-437F-B4A4-54DC7AAD8AAA.jpeg (251.37 KiB) Viewed 1703 times

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:16 am

It’ll be on FLW etc within the hour.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:24 am

Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:16 am
It’ll be on FLW etc within the hour.
Like Wednesday's "Ex Everton striker turns down FGR job" :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:43 am

To be fair, half the clubs on that list could be involved in one article about Aflie Devine.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:30 pm

After today's game we need a CB & a powerful CM by the close of the window. I'm not sure how Sheehan fits into the team, looked very lightweight today.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:35 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:30 pm
After today's game we need a CB & a powerful CM by the close of the window. I'm not sure how Sheehan fits into the team, looked very lightweight today.
Yeah, basically.

We're clearly trying to get something done in that area. Hopefully we get who we want, at which stage you'd think maybe someone can go - unless Williams or Shoretire have proper issues.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:08 pm

I'm going to go out on a (sprained) limb and say that if George Johnston is out for a while we might, just might, need to sign a centre half before the window closes.

Call me crazy.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:43 pm

Didn't know where to put this but on another note Sadlier got his Orient debut in his favoured position and got 89mins under his belt but suffered a defeat at the Bin Dippers!
Last edited by sonicthewhite on Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:53 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:43 pm
Didn't know where to put this but on another note Sadlier got his Orient debut in his favoured position and got 89mins under his but suffered a defeat at the Bin Dippers!
Yeah, their fans were not impressed. "Is he even playing?", "Awful touch"...that sort of stuff.

Should get a run to prove himself, though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:04 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:08 pm
I'm going to go out on a (sprained) limb and say that if George Johnston is out for a while we might, just might, need to sign a centre half before the window closes.

Call me crazy.
I’d say DJ has changed my view today. If he is LWB and RW is cover for both sides we may get away with that. And then we can focus on centre back and maybe midfield.

It’s one half but he definitely improved us beyond anything I’ve seen that side so far.