January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:24 pm

Hazard sounds good. Bishop a possible. If we were to loan perhaps Pitaluga catches the eye.

The good news is that Trafford’s development will encourage loanees and freebies alike.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:24 pm
Hazard sounds good. Bishop a possible. If we were to loan perhaps Pitaluga catches the eye.

The good news is that Trafford’s development will encourage loanees and freebies alike.
Agree on all that.

Pitaluga certainly one you'd not be surprised at.

Also a possible is young Josh Oluwayemi who featured for Pompey against us. Made errors in that game, but is one we were kept notified of previously and is only contract at Pompey for one season (option for another).

Could see him coming in as the new Dixon.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:38 pm

Have to say that since Barnetto brought the boy Barkhuizen to the attention, I've been keepinga bit of an eye on the lad.
Despite his very decent run of late I really don't have him down as being a Paul Warne player, however, I do have him down as being very much an Evatt type.
I see that yesterday he only made Derby's bench, and even the only coming on when they were 4-0 up with 20 minutes to go.
I'd love to see him at our place.
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:38 pm
Have to say that since Barnetto brought the boy Barkhuizen to the attention, I've been keepinga bit of an eye on the lad.
Despite his very decent run of late I really don't have him down as being a Paul Warne player, however, I do have him down as being very much an Evatt type.
I see that yesterday he only made Derby's bench, and even the only coming on when they were 4-0 up with 20 minutes to go.
I have him down as a wide attacker / winger which is not something we require - I may be wrong
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:51 am

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:15 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:38 pm
I have him down as a wide attacker / winger which is not something we require - I may be wrong
Indeed, if you're right then there'd have been a place for Afolayan. However, I have him down as being more a Charles type. Likewise though, I too may be wrong.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:48 pm

Is Clarke Harris a possibility (in the long term when loanees finish?) Sounds useful....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:48 pm
Is Clarke Harris a possibility (in the long term when loanees finish?) Sounds useful....
Contracted to 2024 and valued by Posh at £1m, so might be tough to see that one.

Would also need some convincing he could play our high-tempo press.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:17 pm

Passing the time during a quiet shift. Had a peep at keepers out of contract in summer and also picked up one potential loanee, but in the main these are potential permanent transfers to upgrade from Dixon, rather than replace Trafford.

Harry Isted – Luton have sat on this lad for five years, loaning him hither and yon. Latest destination is Barnsley, where he's kept 5 clean sheets in 11 games, in which the Tykes have gathered 28 points. Even so, Luton have plenty keepers and Isted (now 26) is noted for composure on the ball – an Evatt must.

Frank Fielding - the Blackburn-born keeper will be 35 by summer, but has remained on Champo teams’ books since 2015. Could be a Gilksy-style backup to a younger No.1, bringing the benefit of 350+ games across all three Football League divisions – more than half in the second tier.

Jordan Archer - former Millwall keeper is coming to end of his contract at QPR, where he’s not managed to displace Seny Dieng. Turns 30 in April.

George Long – Sheffield-born, former Blades and Hull keeper has been Millwall’s No.1 since September, having displaced popular shot-stopper Bartosz Bialkowski, but might fancy moving back up north. Comfortable in distribution. Just turned 29.

Carl Rushworth - Halifax-born 21-y-o has been on loan at Lincoln from Brighton and racking up clean sheets – 14 so far, which as of this morning was bettered only by Traf and the keepers at Ipswich, Wycombe and Derby. And then today at Hillsborough, he saved 4 of the Owls' 5 shots on target to earn the Imps a point. Still under contract but Brighton may wish to try the Penniner on a bigger stage (hopefully a higher division).

Luke Southwood - lapsing contract at Reading. Now 25, he was loaned to Cheltenham and set himself a target of 10 clean sheets; he achieved it by February (he got his 15th today), and was then called up by Norn Iron, so Evatt will have the inside line from Dion/Toal/Bradley. Reading have a year's option but don't look certain to take it up.

Joel Coleman - Bolton-born, ex-Huddersfield (Markham?), currently on short-term contract at Ipswich, who play a similar style of football. Turns 28 in September.

Dimitar Mitov - Bulgarian (26) at Cambridge. Caught the eye in a cupset at Newcastle last January. Also caught Rangers' eye - they were linked last summer. Has had an injury this season. Could ask Jack Iredale for his thoughts.

Will Norris - With his Burnley contract leasing in summer, Norris went on loan to Peterborough in January and has impressed FergieJr: "I've been pleased with Will. Almost half of his appearances for us have ended in clean sheets. I know that’s not all down to him, but he brings a calmness and the composure I like to see in a goalkeeper. He’s another very good pro and a great lad.” Turns 30 in August. Has had a curious career - non-league, then Cambridge, then to Wolves and Burnley but has barely played "up there".

Lawrence Vigouroux – having a hella good season with Orient, keeping 20 clean sheets in 37 league games (the only EFL keeper to have more than Traf) and only conceding 25. That means he's now up to 55 shutouts in 144 games for them. Perhaps a question over whether he could move up - he wasn't nearly as impressive in the third tier at Swindon, including gifting us a goal there - but his stats are impressive and he was on the books at Spurs and Liverpool earlier in his career. Turns 30 in November.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:21 pm

Contrasting fortunes for the old guard in the Champo relegation race. Warnock dragging Huddersfield out of the drop zone but Big Mick gets the flick as Blackpool hurtle toward relegation. (In the meantime they’ve appointed as caretaker Stephen Dobbie, ex of this parish, partly assisted by Steve Banks, also an alumnus.)

I mention it here as with Blackpool and Wigan looking like relegation-certainty basket cases, and Huddersfield even if they survive possibly looking at a different style of leadership, we might profitably pick up one or two players from relatively local clubs in the summer. Obvz somewhat depends what league we’re in but you would hope we are looking at those who can do a job in either.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:08 pm

About to partake of wine in food in the south of France catching up with the latest musings on here. I get the feeling that Nlundulu won't be getting an invite back to the mighty Whites at the end of the season. Also is Randy a loan or a permanent as again if a loan I doubt he'll be back either?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:14 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:08 pm
About to partake of wine in food in the south of France catching up with the latest musings on here. I get the feeling that Nlundulu won't be getting an invite back to the mighty Whites at the end of the season. Also is Randy a loan or a permanent as again if a loan I doubt he'll be back either?
Sounds lovely, enjoy :pissed:

If I was a betting man I'd say Nlundulu wouldn't be with us next season, but you never know, maybe the coaching staff have seen enough in training to think they could turn him into a regular L1/Championship starter. He certainly has the physical and technical traits to make it, but I get the impression it's the mental side of the game that will stop him reaching his potential.

Randell Williams was a permanent signing (2.5 year deal) so I hope he starts showing a bit more on the pitch. A solid pre-season should help him a lot for next season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:15 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:08 pm
Williams is permanent.

Nlundulu a loan. Strong, quick and athletic but doesn’t seem much good at football….yet at least.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:17 pm

Cheers mate. I couldn't remember the score with Randy.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:22 pm

Not had many opportunities yet, Nlundulu, but did himself no favours today. Seemed a bit sullen and lazy to me.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:25 pm

If we go up I doubt we will be signing Nlundulu as we will been better. If we stay in the L1, then maybe.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:26 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:22 pm
Not had many opportunities yet, Nlundulu, but did himself no favours today. Seemed a bit sullen and lazy to me.
Yeah wasn't impressed. Adeboyejo did well to set up Dempsey to miss but had little chance as we were well under the cosh. Imagine Nlundulu gets passed on although he was supposed to be a potential permanent. Don't want him even if we stay down. Injury prone as well.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:13 pm

Nlundulu needed to get a couple of early goals here - his scoring record was dubious, but I wondered if we might be the club to unlock him. Another who got injured straight away and since he’s come back he’s looked like he can play football but never looks like scoring. Firm ‘no’ from me.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:14 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:13 pm
Nlundulu needed to get a couple of early goals here - his scoring record was dubious, but I wondered if we might be the club to unlock him. Another who got injured straight away and since he’s come back he’s looked like he can play football but never looks like scoring. Firm ‘no’ from me.
Maybe we were just blessed with the strikers last season.

Bakayoko's and Bodvarsson's records weren't great prior to us signing them, but the presumption is that we signed them knowing that they offered more than just goals and helped the team progress forward. We created chances that allowed them to thrive certainly helps pad up their goalscoring whilst playing for us.

There's still time for N'lundulu, but thats fast running out. Presumably theres another 7-8 games left to go this season (presuming we make the playoffs). If we don't make the play offs I suspect it'll likely be down to the ineffectiveness of our strikers and defenders, so I wouldn't expect N'lundulu to be in the frame for next season.

Even if we were keen on N'lundulu continuing with the club. He's still contracted to Southampton and I can't imagine we'd be paying a fee for his services.

It's probably our scouting that has uncovered his talents in terms of progressing the ball forward and getting in behind the back line. Certainly not his conversion rate, but it would seem theres a chance of his getting on the scoresheet.

Had he scored one of those chances against Cambridge, we'd be looking more favourably. Theres still time.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:19 am

Rumour doing the rounds is Huddersfield are after Chris Markham when their takeover is complete.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:51 pm

As director of football? Would be a big loss if true.