January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:16 pm

We'll if everything's being updated TD, there is no guarantee that to write your bedsheet, you need your partner's lipstick.

Anyhow - Onwards!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:16 pm
We'll if everything's being updated TD, there is no guarantee that to write your bedsheet, you need your partner's lipstick.
Certainly not using my own lipstick. It's far too expensive.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:44 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:16 pm

Anyhow - Onwards!
Ha..touche, on that topic I got left behind with David Bowie, Boy George and Human League;s Phil Oakey in stiletto heels. . Mind you, Neil Whatmore was banging the goals in about then, so there were plusses.

As you say, Onwards.. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:10 pm

Shoretire pictured in training on the official club Twitter account, suggesting his injury is not too bad. Here's hoping it's a similar story for Georgie J.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:11 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:18 am
Everyone is now just waiting for Brommer's video on Mbete, right?

Would imagine he'll have fun with that one.
Not sure I’ll have time for it tbh! First (very snapshot) impression of him having watched some of his Wyscout clips - incredibly athletic, similar top end speed to Santos but more mobile over shorter distances. Has a lot to learn in terms of positioning and decision making in possession though. More of an athlete than a defender if that makes sense.

On the plus side, he’s coming into a much better situation here though compared to Huddersfield, as well as the fact a loan to the Championship is one hell of an introduction to senior football for an 18/19 year old. You have to be pretty special to hold your own in that league at such a young age, so I’m not overly concerned that he didn’t excel at The Terriers.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:39 pm

Interesting financial stuff immediately following the window. 800k in new shares and the season tickets go on sale on Friday.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:05 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:10 pm
Shoretire pictured in training on the official club Twitter account, suggesting his injury is not too bad. Here's hoping it's a similar story for Georgie J.
Have a feeling that the news on GJ ain’t gonna be great. Sadly.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:05 pm
Messages in my Whatsapp are in agreement with the rumour on social media that it's at least 6 weeks.

Not sure what it's worth, but that's what's being said.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:14 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:05 pm
Messages in my Whatsapp are in agreement with the rumour on social media that it's at least 6 weeks.

Not sure what it's worth, but that's what's being said.
Not seen anything on social media. 6 weeks would be bad but maybe better than some fear.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:14 pm
Not seen anything on social media. 6 weeks would be bad but maybe better than some fear.
Any longer and it's basically the season.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:24 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:11 pm
Not sure I’ll have time for it tbh! First (very snapshot) impression of him having watched some of his Wyscout clips - incredibly athletic, similar top end speed to Santos but more mobile over shorter distances. Has a lot to learn in terms of positioning and decision making in possession though. More of an athlete than a defender if that makes sense.

On the plus side, he’s coming into a much better situation here though compared to Huddersfield, as well as the fact a loan to the Championship is one hell of an introduction to senior football for an 18/19 year old. You have to be pretty special to hold your own in that league at such a young age, so I’m not overly concerned that he didn’t excel at The Terriers.
Dealing with that level of quality and defending on the back foot is bad news for even more senior defenders. Huddersfield have basically no midfield screen in front of a deep back four and I'm not sure how a kid is meant to survive that.

I'm sure he'll cost us a goal here or there, as Johnston and others have. That's the deal with City, though. We get a player of his talent at a very reasonable rate and we knock the rough edges off and increase his value by a good margin. If we do well enough maybe we get to keep him another year.

Johnston is wanted by clubs, just as a matter of fact, and has one year left on his contract. If we can't get him onto a new deal then Mbete may be important for us.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:47 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:24 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:11 pm

Dealing with that level of quality and defending on the back foot is bad news for even more senior defenders. Huddersfield have basically no midfield screen in front of a deep back four and I'm not sure how a kid is meant to survive that.

I'm sure he'll cost us a goal here or there, as Johnston and others have. That's the deal with City, though. We get a player of his talent at a very reasonable rate and we knock the rough edges off and increase his value by a good margin. If we do well enough maybe we get to keep him another year.

Johnston is wanted by clubs, just as a matter of fact, and has one year left on his contract. If we can't get him onto a new deal then Mbete may be important for us.
Great Analysis Ghost. I am hopeful that he will have a similar impact as Traff and Bradley.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:10 pm

Someone saying that Evatt said at the AGM that Bolton don't watch players.

I'd like to know the exact phrasing he used there because...erm, we do.

Was anyone there? Was he speaking specifically about the players we signed this window? Because that would make a lot more sense.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:19 pm

“Gone are the days where scouts are watching players live due to advancement in technology.”

“We met with recruitment team at Liverpool who said that they never saw any of their players live before they signed them, neither have we.”

I think he means sending scouts to matches vs watching video reports of them.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:35 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:19 pm
“Gone are the days where scouts are watching players live due to advancement in technology.”

“We met with recruitment team at Liverpool who said that they never saw any of their players live before they signed them, neither have we.”

I think he means sending scouts to matches vs watching video reports of them.
Ah, so just normal stuff then. Not, "We never go to other clubs and we only use data." It was being presented to me as we didn't use detailed video, didn't visit training grounds, do tours, etc. Which I know is nonsense.

Appreciate the quotes.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:48 pm

We can possibly also knock the "Nobody rates Evatt as a coach, which is why no Championship sides want him" stuff on the head. Approached by three clubs, he says. Politely said he wasn't available.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:01 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:48 pm
We can possibly also knock the "Nobody rates Evatt as a coach, which is why no Championship sides want him" stuff on the head. Approached by three clubs, he says. Politely said he wasn't available.

I've also been approached by three Championship clubs. All politely declined.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:03 pm

Evatt says Trafford will be City’s number two next season so we will need to sign a new keeper. Apparently.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:04 pm

Also fairly amazed to hear that Traf will be no.2 at City next season, from Evatt. I'd laughed at someone earlier for suggesting he'd on loan as first choice at a Prem team and whilst being No.2 isn't that, it's a fairly serious statement from City if Evatt is correct.

Well done to the lad. He must be delighted.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:10 pm

Stefan Ortega won't be pleased to hear that.