January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:58 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:43 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:36 pm
No. Last week we had to get better in then we let go. That still remains the same.
How are you defining 'better'? Better as an objective fact, or better in terms of what we need in the current system?

Not sure we'll get a player who is just flat better than Dapo. Might well get someone who will do better for us than he has in the past year.
Better as in more effective for us. And measured by their output. And the teams output.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:58 pm
Better as in more effective for us. And measured by their output. And the teams output.
Works for me.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:36 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:00 pm
Last week, we pretty much had to get anyone in, this week we have to have a better plan? It feels like whichever way Evatt turns, he;s going to have turned the wrong way.
No. Last week we had to get better in then we let go. That still remains the same.
Maybe Shortire is a better 10 than Dapo and N'lundulu a better forward than Baka (this year's vintages)?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:05 pm

In regards to defining better, for me personally its championship quality players - although I would like us to bring in Wickham, I've no issue with Adeboyejo if the club can secure him then he could be a really good signing & just the type of striker we need, quite big, looks strong & powerful and can hold the ball up (and he's got recent championship experience) - IMO we still need a big strong & powerful box to box central midfielder if we are to really improve.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:25 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:05 pm
IMO we still need a big strong & powerful box to box central midfielder if we are to really improve.
Like I said, I'd love Oshilaja at the same time we pick up Adeboyejo. I thought he was superb against us and is generally one of the best box-to-box players in the division, for me. He's hugely underrated, but it's possible that includes by our recruitment team.

Nearly 30, though, so if they can find us someone better/younger then fab.

The issue with that is probably depth. When Thomason comes back we will have 5 players for two midfield slots (Dempsey, Morley, MJ, Sheehan and Thommo).

Loaning out Sheehan and bringing in a replacement might be ideal, but you've got to be stretching budgets at that stage, surely.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:51 pm

Its a time for closing ranks and concentrating on essentials and teamwork. Nothing's got without maximum effort, but we can do it. Derby just came at a bad time for us, so regroup and move on. We can analize how later. For now, how many. "COME ON YOU WHITES" :Jedi:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:41 pm

A lot of chatter on Merseyside that Nat Phillips expects to be sold before the end of this window.

No idea if that's true, but that's the one doing the rounds amongst journos as well as fans.

Rhys Williams (in whom we maintain an interest) has been recalled from Blackpool, which has stirred up the rumour even more.

No idea if we'd be due anything if he moves, but interesting nonetheless.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:34 am

Evatt:

“It is important to get it right – but it isn’t easy, either,” he told The Bolton News.

“The market is the market. Everyone is looking for the same things.

“I spoke to Paul Warne after the game on Saturday and they are trying to sign centre-forwards, and their spending power is a lot greater than ours, but even they are finding it difficult at the moment.

“We will do our best to get it right. I do think we need an experienced head, someone that knows how to play the position, someone that has a history of goalscoring and someone who I think can help some of our younger players.”

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:54 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:41 pm
A lot of chatter on Merseyside that Nat Phillips expects to be sold before the end of this window.

No idea if that's true, but that's the one doing the rounds amongst journos as well as fans.

Rhys Williams (in whom we maintain an interest) has been recalled from Blackpool, which has stirred up the rumour even more.

No idea if we'd be due anything if he moves, but interesting nonetheless.
Nah, I think he just left our academy rather than there being any transfer involved, so don’t think we’d be owed anything.

Rob Holding would be the one where, I think, we’d be due a sell on fee. However, he seems happy enough being a back up at Arsenal, so doesn’t seem like he’ll push for a move.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:58 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:34 am
“We will do our best to get it right. I do think we need an experienced head, someone that knows how to play the position, someone that has a history of goalscoring and someone who I think can help some of our younger players.”
Easy to find then :lol:

Chris Martin would fit that bill, but not sure how fit/mobile he is these days.

Recruitment team certainly have their work cut out…

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:08 am

I've mentioned him before, and obviously he wouldn't address our striking needs, but would it be worth offering Bolton lad Dale Stpehens a short term deal?

Having played in the top two divisions for the past 10 years, presumably he'd be more than good enough to operate at our level, and could be a nice alternative to Dempsey and Morley in the middle of the park.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:11 am

It's looking increasingly like Ade's agents leaked his release clause to try and drive interest up. Other Championship clubs now cited with interest. Wouldn't be surprised if some of those social accounts pushing the release clause story are agency blanks. Hopefully that one gets done quickly. Not sure I'd fancy us if it drags out.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:25 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:11 am
It's looking increasingly like Ade's agents leaked his release clause to try and drive interest up. Other Championship clubs now cited with interest. Wouldn't be surprised if some of those social accounts pushing the release clause story are agency blanks. Hopefully that one gets done quickly. Not sure I'd fancy us if it drags out.
Couldn't 'other Championship clubs now cited with interest' also be coming from agents? Again, I'm no expert on the player, but it would seem surprising if he was in huge demand from the second tier.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:26 am

Evatt:

“It is important to get it right – but it isn’t easy, either,” he told The Bolton News.

“I spoke to Paul Warne after the game on Saturday and they are trying to sign centre-forwards, and their spending power is a lot greater than ours, but even they are finding it difficult at the moment.

Right and this is what I’m not understanding. We sold two strikers in January knowing we’d need to sign some in a market we know is difficult with nothing lined up.

I can’t square that as being good planning.

When we did that with Anelka because we had a fee that honestly we couldn’t turn down people went absolutely crazy. We ended up with Raziak as a consequence.

Why is it ‘fine now’ for a few that even given our circumstances is far less ‘significant’ in the overall scheme of things.

Surely we should have had someone lined up and ready and have waited to do business until we did?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:30 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:25 am
Couldn't 'other Championship clubs now cited with interest' also be coming from agents? Again, I'm no expert on the player, but it would seem surprising if he was in huge demand from the second tier.
Yes, I daresay some could, but at least one has definitely been having a look in case their current target falls through.

I think that might be his position with Championship clubs, a player asked to wait to see if they can't get better before they run out of time. A few believe he can play at that level, but most will be looking for more guaranteed returns than he offers.

One of the issues with having a release clause is clubs can agree personal terms and then don't need to worry about negotiating with the club.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:26 am
Evatt:

Right and this is what I’m not understanding. We sold two strikers in January knowing we’d need to sign some in a market we know is difficult with nothing lined up.

When we did that with Anelka because we had a fee that honestly we couldn’t turn down people went absolutely crazy. We ended up with Raziak as a consequence.

Why is it ‘fine now’ for a few that even given our circumstances is far less ‘significant’ in the overall scheme of things.

Surely we should have had someone lined up and ready and have waited to do business until we did?

Surely when we sold Bakayoko and Dapo we were expecting to have JDB available for the rest of the season. I think his injury has come at a bad time. Selling Baka was fine as he was low in the pecking order and would demand a small fee.

Dapo was replaced quickly with Shoretire presumably, so that seems a like for like and with N'lundulu coming in it would seem we'd accounted for the gap left by the departure of Baka.

Trouble we have is these are tough replacements and getting everyone up to speed is problematic and sometimes takes a while. We're seeing this with Randell at the minute in terms of fitness levels but he seems a tidy player.

We just need a top quality replacement for JDB in order to have replaced what we had previously. Easier said than done.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:41 am

brommers95 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:58 am
Easy to find then :lol:

Chris Martin would fit that bill, but not sure how fit/mobile he is these days.

Recruitment team certainly have their work cut out…
Yeah, I've absolutely no idea how to read that one.

Could include anyone from the Chris Martin mentioned to Kevin Van Veen, dependent upon what "a history of goal scoring" means.

Sounds like we might be looking for another Doyle type, but I dunno.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:47 am

Mar wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:34 am
We just need a top quality replacement for JDB in order to have replaced what we had previously. Easier said than done.
We have one. Fine tune Kachunga and bolster his confidence and he'll do the job. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:48 am

Just had a horrible realisation that we're obviously going to sign Paddy Madden.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:52 am

Mar wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:34 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:26 am
Evatt:

Surely when we sold Bakayoko and Dapo we were expecting to have JDB available for the rest of the season. I think his injury has come at a bad time. Selling Baka was fine as he was low in the pecking order and would demand a small fee.

Dapo was replaced quickly with Shoretire presumably, so that seems a like for like and with N'lundulu coming in it would seem we'd accounted for the gap left by the departure of Baka.

Trouble we have is these are tough replacements and getting everyone up to speed is problematic and sometimes takes a while. We're seeing this with Randell at the minute in terms of fitness levels but he seems a tidy player.

I reckon, with the JDB thing being the problem, that nails it Mar. 2 in for 2 out.

So the question is, given JDB got injured, whether we should have held onto Dapo, maybe against his wishes, in a deal that was almost certainly nearing completion at the time JDB got injured, to cover for a back to goal player, which just isn't in his armoury or play him in a position we're not using much, or then use him in some weird rotation, as a 10 where he doesn't play, alongside Lee/Shortire who AFAWK do play there or pretend he's some sort of forward without any "fixed position"...but it would help the "number count" of forwards...