January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:04 pm

^^i think that’s a fair assessment. However if we can’t find an actual left wing back or a midfield player who can run and put themselves about a bit (both areas we have nobody at all and both who would improve the squad) then I think that’s on us.

Finding the striker who is better than we’ve got or the number ten in January is probably for the dreamers. But a LWB or a midfield player better than Dempsey is not that difficult.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:41 pm

Our boy Brommers did a poll. Admittedly it's a month ago, and things have shifted slightly since, but it told a tale.
poll 2.jpg
poll 2.jpg (20.97 KiB) Viewed 18627 times
He also, in case anyone missed it, did a typically thoughtful round-up of potential forward signings: https://analysisbwfc.medium.com/bwfc-ja ... 2fca517ee1

On anotther but related note...

Borrowing players from clubs higher up the pyramid can certainly help. Plymouth borrowed five in summer, and four of them have come up trumps: Birmingham striker Sam Cosgrove has 10 goals (6 in the league), Swansea winger Morgan Whittaker has scored 8 and assisted 5 in the league alone, Villa schemer Finn Azaz scored 6 and made 3 before ankle-knack in late October, and Norwich wing-back Bali Mumba has scored 4 league goals (and assisted 7). Even the non-scoring exception, Wolves centre-back Nigel Lonwijk, has played 20 times. By my quick calculations, of Argyle’s 42 league goals, 35 have been either scored or assisted by a loanee; of the others, one was a penalty, two were in a 3-0 home win over Accy and another was the third in a 3-0 at FGR.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:48 pm

If Sadlier leaves in January as the BN are speculating without being given a chance this for me will be one of the most ridiculous pieces of management I’ve seen. Especially as the utterly hopeless Kachunga is picked time and time again and offers no more than a pub player.

Evatt obviously has players he can’t bring himself to select.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:54 pm

Great write up DSB. Good to have you back.

Rumoured arrival Danny Ward is once again missing from Huddersfield’s match day squad following his omission on Boxing Day. Seems like he’ll be announced by us very soon after the window opens.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:56 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:54 pm
Great write up DSB. Good to have you back.

Rumoured arrival Danny Ward is once again missing from Huddersfield’s match day squad following his omission on Boxing Day. Seems like he’ll be announced by us very soon after the window opens.
Cheers. On Ward, it's only three days since the BN published Evatt saying this:

“At the moment there isn’t anything in that one,” he said. “I don’t want to speak about other people’s players, he is one we are aware of, and we know he’s been here before and a very talented player. But there is nothing to speak of anyway.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... town-link/

...but things do move fast.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:16 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:48 pm
If Sadlier leaves in January as the BN are speculating without being given a chance this for me will be one of the most ridiculous pieces of management I’ve seen. Especially as the utterly hopeless Kachunga is picked time and time again and offers no more than a pub player.

Agreed, and there is a story with DecJohn as well. Formation suits him (unlike Sadlier) and he was our leading goal creator last season. Iredale not as good for me. What has gone on there?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:35 am

Evatt in the morning paper

“We are looking for players that we believe still have value and growth in them. We are not quite at the position of other clubs who just go out and spend crazy amounts of money and only look at the here and now.

“We want to try to build a team of assets but also build a team of progressive footballers who we feel can improve by being coached and adapt to higher divisions if and when that comes. We work very hard at that, but it is really difficult.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... r-targets/

So we may not be signing readymades. understandable financially, but it comes with risk - both for chances of promotion and chances of staying up if we manage it.

No easy way to square that circle.

sleepingindiana79
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by sleepingindiana79 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:08 am

Hi guys new in here
I kinda hope we can buy one or two players as we need to can’t keep relying on loans as they do help but when they leave they leave a hole in the squad
Imagine we will go for a better bakayoko in Jan if we he leaves

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:22 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I was just going to say exactly this. I can only assume that perhaps something's gone on of which we know nowt, because otherwise, as far as I can see, Evatt's treatment of Sadlier's been shocking.
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:57 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:16 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Agreed, and there is a story with DecJohn as well. Formation suits him (unlike Sadlier) and he was our leading goal creator last season. Iredale not as good for me. What has gone on there?
I don't necessarily think there's something gone on. I think he's simply viewed as a saleable asset that we won't miss that much and an opportunity to bring some dollar in for reinforcements is preferable to him being here

The rumours since the summer have been Wrexham for about £400k - That would have reduced, but still reckon we can get money for him
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:59 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:22 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I was just going to say exactly this. I can only assume that perhaps something's gone on of which we know nowt, because otherwise, as far as I can see, Evatt's treatment of Sadlier's been shocking.
Sadliers decision making in the final 3rd in league games has been poor this season. Doesn't pass. In my opinion, the only position he would excel in, is wide of a striker in the 4-3-3 that we don't play anymore

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:16 am

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:59 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Sadliers decision making in the final 3rd in league games has been poor this season. Doesn't pass. In my opinion, the only position he would excel in, is wide of a striker in the 4-3-3 that we don't play anymore
Agreed. Andranik syndrome in full force here for both Sadlier and John, methinks.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:22 am

I don't doubt he's talented. Back end of last season, he really affected games, but again in a 4-3-3 where he can drive in or out.

He's not a 10, or a wing-back.

He's expendable. Sure he'll go elsewhere and look good and we'll look at it as a missed opportunity, but it is what it is

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:10 pm

I'm not sure we ever played a 4-3-3 last season, did we?

He seemed a strange signing considering he's a winger and we'd already reverted back to the wingerless 3-5-2 before his arrival. I get the impression he was a panic signing, like Isgrove the season before.

It's a shame as I think he could've offered us something as a wide forward in a 4-3-3, or one of two No. 10s in a 3-4-2-1.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:52 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Decision making in the final third in league games? How many has he started? He’s ten times the player Kachunga is at a bare minimum.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:55 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:16 am
boltonboris wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Agreed. Andranik syndrome in full force here for both Sadlier and John, methinks.
It’s just a shame Sadlier is a better player than Evatt is a manager.

Sadlier is a goalscorer. In a team crying out for one. But we persist with players who can’t score, won’t score and mainly won’t shoot.

This squad are at very least play off level. And if we miss out Evatt should be sacked.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:49 pm

Good to see we're getting into New Year's resolutions early! 🤣😂🤣😂

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:52 pm

Decision making in the final third in league games? How many has he started? He’s ten times the player Kachunga is at a bare minimum.
Decision making and subsequent execution in the final third is our most pertinent problem.

Sorry, Boris, but I have no idea as to how come you feel it's OK to single Sadlier, our most underused player, out for this.

I wholeheartedly agree with BWFC-I here, he'd do absolutely no worse that Kachunga in the same position.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:55 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:16 am
boltonboris wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

It’s just a shame Sadlier is a better player than Evatt is a manager.

Sadlier is a goalscorer. In a team crying out for one. But we persist with players who can’t score, won’t score and mainly won’t shoot.

This squad are at very least play off level. And if we miss out Evatt should be sacked.
Sledge-hammer, walnut spring to mind.... :shock:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:39 pm

I think “Andranik syndrome” is harsh for Sadlier - lads scored and created at this level and the one above - he’s hardly an unknown quantity being made better through not playing.