How the west was won..Away to Shrewsbury sat, 10-12-22. 12-30.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Re: How the west was won..Away to Shrewsbury sat, 10-12-22. 12-30.

Post by HMX » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:28 pm

Physical teams, smaller pitches. Don’t win those with an Evatt philosophy and team choice.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:31 pm

I don’t think we will make the play offs with Evatt. It’s been nagging away for weeks. The players we have could do it. But not without some serious organisation and a sense of purpose that we very clearly lack.

I think he’s lost his way. We have no real identity on the pitch. We rely on periods of intensity but these are fleeting. You never know what we will be doing 5 minutes to the next.

Clear example. Late on in the 90 we have a throw in. Jones flings it down the line under instruction but we aren’t setup to compete for it and they win it back and are at the back line again. It’s stuff like that. There is no sign of a manager and coaching team drilling us. We are shocking from throw ins to the point we are better off not having them. Jones could have taken it and thrown it back to Toal who was unmarked and we retained possession. And surely that would be the Evatt way?

I’m at the point where I think this is a wasted season with a good group of players being completely misused and we are letting the opportunities slip by. One by one.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:32 pm

HMX wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:28 pm
Physical teams, smaller pitches. Don’t win those with an Evatt philosophy and team choice.
Don't even know what his philosophy is though, it's certainly not pass and move. Hoof it and hope?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:35 pm

Does anyone genuinely believe Evatt is getting the best out of the players available? When was the last time we had a routine win where we controlled the game?

Tails07
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Tails07 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:38 pm

Set piece coach should be the first thing we get in January.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:35 pm
Does anyone genuinely believe Evatt is getting the best out of the players available? When was the last time we had a routine win where we controlled the game?
A fair few games this season but you're too interested in ousting all the negativity in the team. Players don't offer this, the manager doesn't offer that. When they do deliver it's a fluke, when they don't you're on here faster than a rat up a drain pipe. It's absolutely exhausting hearing you drone on and on about the same things over and over.

What do you want from a League One team? You've said on numerous occasions that the players are poor but now it's Evatt for not getting a tune out of them.

Maybe and just maybe, we're a mid-table League One Team that's going to win, lose and draw. Annoying as it might be our expectations might be too high for what we have. Our 4 strikers 4 games ago were a worry, Charles has scored 3 in 2. No mention by the way. Santos has been missing for 2 games and we've conceded 4 to poorer sides? No mention of that.

Midfield with illnesses during the week and players unavailable, no mention of that.

It's now an issue with Evatt getting the best out of the players available.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
We didn't really look in much bother at 2-1 up, I wouldn't have said at that point I could see a turnaround just waiting to happen.

I think he'll point at the second penalty shout. Get that and score and it's probably put to bed...

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:53 pm

We threw away the game. Battled back to take the lead and looking comfortable. Then Jones (I think) jumps out of the way of a cross, preferring to concede a goal instead of a corner. Then Trafford loses a physical battle with a hand in his face as he makes a half hearted attempt to come for it. Dapo and Charles were giving them a handful and then taken off. Have no idea why as we lost all attacking impetus thereafter. Thought Lee played well. We beat ourselves today.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:04 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
A fair few games this season but you're too interested in ousting all the negativity in the team. Players don't offer this, the manager doesn't offer that. When they do deliver it's a fluke, when they don't you're on here faster than a rat up a drain pipe. It's absolutely exhausting hearing you drone on and on about the same things over and over.

What do you want from a League One team? You've said on numerous occasions that the players are poor but now it's Evatt for not getting a tune out of them.

Maybe and just maybe, we're a mid-table League One Team that's going to win, lose and draw. Annoying as it might be our expectations might be too high for what we have. Our 4 strikers 4 games ago were a worry, Charles has scored 3 in 2. No mention by the way. Santos has been missing for 2 games and we've conceded 4 to poorer sides? No mention of that.

Midfield with illnesses during the week and players unavailable, no mention of that.

It's now an issue with Evatt getting the best out of the players available.
It’s expectations now I see. For decades you’ve slated Bolton managers who have had squads relatively far worse than we have now with relative spending power far worse than we have today. But now when we have one of the better squads in the league we can’t blame the manager and coaching even though you can very easily point to situation after situation where it’s completely failing us.

We have injuries. We have illness. How many of Shrewsburys side would you swap for the 11 we have out today?

And I ask again when was the last time we won a game in a manner we looked comfortable and controlled it?

I’m genuinely asking. A comfortable 2-0?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:03 pm

It's not unreasonable to say we're not getting the best out of the squad, given Evatt also says the same thing and it's largely the same squad who won plenty (even after Fossey's season ender) last year...

On the other side of that coin, we're probably not a million miles adrift in the League table from where I thought we might be...I don't think we have a top 2 squad unless all the dice rolls went our way. I do think we've got a 5th/6th squad and would be disappointed if we didn't make the play-offs.

I wonder if we look at Ipswich's line up, how many if ours you'd put in their first XI...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:11 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:03 pm
It's not unreasonable to say we're not getting the best out of the squad, given Evatt also says the same thing and it's largely the same squad who won plenty (even after Fossey's season ender) last year...

On the other side of that coin, we're probably not a million miles adrift in the League table from where I thought we might be...I don't think we have a top 2 squad unless all the dice rolls went our way. I do think we've got a 5th/6th squad and would be disappointed if we didn't make the play-offs.

I wonder if we look at Ipswich's line up, how many if ours you'd put in their first XI...
Not expecting top 2. But I feel we are in a false position. Portsmouth have two games in hand on us. Our form isn’t top 6. And we are losing games you really shouldn’t if you want to be a top 6 side. We started the season with some intensity and whilst we weren’t playing brilliant football we looked like grinding games out. We haven’t had that intensity for a long time and have no identity.

I don’t think we’ve a hope in hell of making the top 6 without January additions. And I think a decent manager would be comfortably top 6 with the squad as it is. And we wouldn’t be losing to Shrewsbury and the like. Or relying on the final few minutes of games. I don’t think we’ve been close to good enough for a long while now. And waiting till we drop out of the top 6 isn’t a good plan. We need to rectify the issues as soon as we can.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:44 pm

End of the day every time we lose to a team we have double/treble/quadruple the budget of its right to ask why. We’re in a play off position and there’s no chance the manager is changing. If we don’t finish top 6 it’s a disappointment. We are not going up automatically- no chance.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:58 pm

When is Aimson back btw? Feels like we could do with a no nonsense centre half.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:03 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:44 pm
End of the day every time we lose to a team we have double/treble/quadruple the budget of its right to ask why. We’re in a play off position and there’s no chance the manager is changing. If we don’t finish top 6 it’s a disappointment. We are not going up automatically- no chance.
We are in a play off position cos Portsmouth have played two fewer than us. We have Derby hot on our heels who no doubt will strengthen in January. We have realistically not much chance of catching anyone bar Barnsley.

I don’t think we will finish in the top 6. We certainly aren’t getting results or playing in a way that suggests we will. Evatt has been unable to find a way to get the best out of the group he’s assembled. Having told us it was one he believed in and turned down ‘superstar players’ as we didn’t need them.

I don’t think what we are churning out is close to good enough and it’s been that way for quite a while.

If we let this opportunity slip by we will regret it big time. Getting out of this league is tough and I doubt we will have a better chance than the group of players we have now. I think next year will only be harder.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:26 pm

Who's idea was going in front that early?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:26 pm
Who's idea was going in front that early?
Yeah was fcking stupid.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:11 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:58 pm
When is Aimson back btw? Feels like we could do with a no nonsense centre half.
He was on the bench today I think

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:03 pm
We are in a play off position cos Portsmouth have played two fewer than us. We have Derby hot on our heels who no doubt will strengthen in January. We have realistically not much chance of catching anyone bar Barnsley.
OK you've posted this a couple of times...if they win both wouldn't we drop one place to 6th? As in "still in a playoff place?"

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:37 pm

I'm sure not so long ago, the players we had weren't anywhere near good enough. Seem to remember the word "donkey" being bandied about.

Now they're good enough, but being mismanaged?

I also seem to remember unequivocal confirmations that "Evatt Out" wasn't the shout. Certainly seems like some (read, one) are calling for that now.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:47 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:37 pm
I'm sure not so long ago, the players we had weren't anywhere near good enough. Seem to remember the word "donkey" being bandied about.

Now they're good enough, but being mismanaged?

I also seem to remember unequivocal confirmations that "Evatt Out" wasn't the shout. Certainly seems like some (read, one) are calling for that now.
Don't forget "pub league" too! Pretty much every player has been badged as not good enough over the last couple of months...I do think we're not currently playing as well as we might. Couple of good moves leading to both goals today, helped...but then we went Queens Arms in the defence (not in an Evatt out sense) :-)