Oh Quelle Surprise! Barnsley (A) 15:00 Monday 02/01/23

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Oh Quelle Surprise! Barnsley (A) 15:00 Monday 02/01/23

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:45 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:16 pm
Cheers guys, She's been really ill since Aug and had to have major surgery on Christmas Eve. What should have been a five day stay in hopspital tops, has turned in to she's still there. She has an infection that isn't shifting and the doctors don't know why. Coupled to the fact that she's in Stoke hospital and it's an hours drive each way for visiting, then todays result has been the perfect pick me up. That and the Pie Eaters getting shafted again :)

Anyway, back to the small matter of what a great match thread this has turned out to be :pissed:
Hope she's on the mend soon.

I did wonder why our fans were singing Kolo Kolo Kolo. How long has he been their manager?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:48 pm

Sonic - I'll echo everyone else's comments and wish you a better 2023.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:32 pm

Yeah football is nothing compared to that stuff sonic. Hope she’s feeling better soon and can get back home. Sounds a tricky situation for you. Been there. Hope it’s all better soon.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:34 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:16 pm
Cheers guys, She's been really ill since Aug and had to have major surgery on Christmas Eve. What should have been a five day stay in hopspital tops, has turned in to she's still there. She has an infection that isn't shifting and the doctors don't know why. Coupled to the fact that she's in Stoke hospital and it's an hours drive each way for visiting, then todays result has been the perfect pick me up. That and the Pie Eaters getting shafted again :)

Anyway, back to the small matter of what a great match thread this has turned out to be :pissed:
I'm thinking all The Wanderer members' thoughts and prayers are as much with you and your wife as the match right now mate. Stay positive and look after yourself too. :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:05 am

I'm posting on this thread again just so we don't forget that we beat Barnsley 3-0, yes that's 3-0, at their place ending it with a Brazil style wonder goal.....Watch and tremble ye pretenders to greatness, a game dedicated to Dapo and Sonic's kettle... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

Edit. Can we have a kettle smiley?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:15 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:48 pm
Sonic - I'll echo everyone else's comments and wish you a better 2023.
Hear, hear.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:52 am

Missed in the excitement of an excellent performance yesterday was how well Aimson played. The back three really have been excellent since they started playing together and barely given teams a sniff.

It is for me our strongest back three. What we need is some cover. If Iredale is out especially. Jones might have to play wing back and that leaves only santos as cover. I’d like another Toal or Aimson. Just a solid no nonsense defender who you get a performance out of each week. I feel we need another.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:49 am

Do you really see him leaving a fit Santos out, mate? I'm not feeling the remotest possibility of such a thing...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:55 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:49 am
Do you really see him leaving a fit Santos out, mate? I'm not feeling the remotest possibility of such a thing...
But conversely, what message does it send out if he pulls one of the three out who, as we know, are performing admirably well together, just because someone (Captain notwithstanding) else is back fit?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:00 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:55 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:49 am
But conversely, what message does it send out if he pulls one of the three out who, as we know, are performing admirably well together, just because someone (Captain notwithstanding) else is back fit?
Yeah mate, I agree. You get crocked, you have to play your way back in for me...

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:14 am

Hang on, isn't this the same back three, Aimson especially, who were getting absolute pelters particularly in the 1st half vs Lincoln?

I know you're only as good as your last game etc, but I distinctly recall the old "Aimless" nickname being rolled out again.

I don't disagree that, with four clean sheets in five, the defence deserves to play on. But let's not pretend that we've hit upon a golden trio. It's working for the time being, and long may it continue. I'd still be astonished is Santos isn't back in sooner rather than later, both as skipper and based on performances over the last 12 months.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:17 am

Not seen much mention anywhere about young Trafford despite him making a wonder save and keeping another clean sheet? We surely are really going to miss him when the loan's up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:25 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:14 am
Hang on, isn't this the same back three, Aimson especially, who were getting absolute pelters particularly in the 1st half vs Lincoln?

I know you're only as good as your last game etc, but I distinctly recall the old "Aimless" nickname being rolled out again.

I don't disagree that, with four clean sheets in five, the defence deserves to play on. But let's not pretend that we've hit upon a golden trio. It's working for the time being, and long may it continue. I'd still be astonished is Santos isn't back in sooner rather than later, both as skipper and based on performances over the last 12 months.
Santos sent off early at Port Vale, Aimson came on and we defended the majority of the match with ten men and kept a clean sheet. Next game we ground out a 1-0 against Morecambe.

Santos comes straight back in and we lose 2-0 at home to Sheffield Wednesday with some dodgy defending and do the same at Plymouth.

Aimson is a better defender. He might be less proficient on the ball but defensively he’s better than santos and we have more than enough evidence of that now. The muck and nettles business of keeping clean sheets is what will get us out of this league and this back three looks the best bet right now.

Santos if he gets his concentration to levels where he played with Baptiste and is consistent can force his way back in. But can’t just automatically stroll back because we saw how disastrous that was last time.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:32 am

truewhite15 wrote:

It was chiefly Toal, until he got on the end of one of course. Fickle? Football supporters? :D

Santos has certainly come a long way since his first six months with us. It's as well that people weren't allowed in the grounds at that time, ready to offer him their opinions as to his worth as a footballer. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:25 am
truewhite15 wrote:

Santos sent off early at Port Vale, Aimson came on and we defended the majority of the match with ten men and kept a clean sheet. Next game we ground out a 1-0 against Morecambe.

Santos comes straight back in and we lose 2-0 at home to Sheffield Wednesday with some dodgy defending and do the same at Plymouth.

Aimson is a better defender. He might be less proficient on the ball but defensively he’s better than santos and we have more than enough evidence of that now. The muck and nettles business of keeping clean sheets is what will get us out of this league and this back three looks the best bet right now.

Santos if he gets his concentration to levels where he played with Baptiste and is consistent can force his way back in. But can’t just automatically stroll back because we saw how disastrous that was last time.
Was just looking up the same thing Insane as I remember there being the same discussion on the various socials around that time.

Harsh to compare the two on what was such a small sample size and against massively differing quality of opposition. I would however keep Aimson in for the simple fact of the current back three seem to have a good thing going.

I suspect though Santos gets some minutes against Portsmouth in the PJT game next week to see where his fitness is at and then he’ll come back into the side barring any setback.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:09 pm

I think the back 3 have been excellent of late but that spell at the start of the 2nd half did fill me with worry. We were 2 up, should have been in total control and comfortable until Aimson and Johnston did a series of poor passes and panicked clearances, which lifted the crowd and had us floundering.

That 3rd goal, as excellent as it was, came as a huge relief to me but gives a rather false notion imo that we gave them a going over. Sorry if that makes me sound negative or a panic fanny but just how I saw it yesterday. Bradley's passing and decision making was nowhere near his best yesterday either and Iredale still hasn't convinced me yet.

A 3 nil win away at Barnsley and I'm moaning. I can't believe it either :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:20 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:09 pm
Reminds me of a time many moons ago when I was in the Manny Rd Lower and we were 5-0 to the good against someone at half time (Chesterfield methinks). There was still a bunch of miserable old tossers behind us who wouldn't have it that we were anything but shite :shock:

You weren't at that game by any chance were you? :lol:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:48 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:20 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Reminds me of a time many moons ago when I was in the Manny Rd Lower and we were 5-0 to the good against someone at half time (Chesterfield methinks). There was still a bunch of miserable old tossers behind us who wouldn't have it that we were anything but shite :shock:

You weren't at that game by any chance were you? :lol:
Well I did stand in the Manny Road terrace at Burnden so it's possible :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:17 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
I think the back 3 have been excellent of late but that spell at the start of the 2nd half did fill me with worry. We were 2 up, should have been in total control and comfortable until Aimson and Johnston did a series of poor passes and panicked clearances, which lifted the crowd and had us floundering.

That 3rd goal, as excellent as it was, came as a huge relief to me but gives a rather false notion imo that we gave them a going over. Sorry if that makes me sound negative or a panic fanny but just how I saw it yesterday. Bradley's passing and decision making was nowhere near his best yesterday either and Iredale still hasn't convinced me yet.

When teams press us we struggle because we can’t hold it up front and as our midfield tire we end up with few options to get out. I don’t think the back three really are the issue there. You see it a lot in second half’s when a team decides to step onto our midfield.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:36 pm

I mean if we wish to be super-cynical, it was a pengy, a defensive howler and then a late grace goal against 10 tiring opponents.

But if we wish to look another way, we hassled them into a penalty, were awake enough to take care, then kept a clean sheet as they came at us, then scored a very fine goal indeed.

As ever, probably the truth lies somewhere in between. But it was a good day to be a Wanderer.