A Drake but no ducks. Home v Plymouth Sat 7 Jan 15-00.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: A Drake but no ducks. Home v Plymouth Sat 7 Jan 15-00.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:55 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:18 pm
I'm not sure scoring against Barrow, Salford and Leeds U21, as Bod has, adds much to the crux of the conversation. As I said the other day about Dion's lack of goals against any top-10 opponents (barring the Sunderland outlier), it's not those that win the biggest games - as our players showed yesterday.

For the record though, Bod's league goals this season have come against Lincoln, who were 14th; Burton, 24th; and Barnsley, 4th – a defensive howler, although I was glad Jon Dadi was awake to it. And as with Dion, I'm glad whenever he scores, and I like him – but like you, I wonder if any of our strikers are clinical enough to win the crucial games. Sadly, yesterday didn't do much to ease that worry. I would love to be wrong about it.
Nlundulu is statically more profligate than Charles and gets dispossessed more often than Bodvarsson. So that's nice.

His 4 goals came against lower opposition. His two assists were a nice one against us and an assist that was just a simple lay-off before an absolute peach of a finish from about 25 yards from his mate.

In games where they get more than 3 shots per game Charles out-scores Nlundulu 2 to 1. In games where they only get one shot Charles has scored one goal (Lincoln) and Nlundulu nil.

You know, just in case people wanted cheering up.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:13 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:55 am
I'm not sure scoring against Barrow, Salford and Leeds U21, as Bod has, adds much to the crux of the conversation. As I said the other day about Dion's lack of goals against any top-10 opponents (barring the Sunderland outlier), it's not those that win the biggest games - as our players showed yesterday.

For the record though, Bod's league goals this season have come against Lincoln, who were 14th; Burton, 24th; and Barnsley, 4th – a defensive howler, although I was glad Jon Dadi was awake to it. And as with Dion, I'm glad whenever he scores, and I like him – but like you, I wonder if any of our strikers are clinical enough to win the crucial games. Sadly, yesterday didn't do much to ease that worry. I would love to be wrong about it.
Nlundulu is statically more profligate than Charles and gets dispossessed more often than Bodvarsson. So that's nice.

His 4 goals came against lower opposition. His two assists were a nice one against us and an assist that was just a simple lay-off before an absolute peach of a finish from about 25 yards from his mate.

In games where they get more than 3 shots per game Charles out-scores Nlundulu 2 to 1. In games where they only get one shot Charles has scored one goal (Lincoln) and Nlundulu nil.

We've had a striker from Southampton before that was written off before he came to us and did alright.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:16 am

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:13 am
We've had a striker from Southampton before that was written off before he came to us and did alright.
Oh, I'm not writing him off. I think he's a good signing. Those stats seemed relevant, though. He might need the kettle's help at times :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:39 am

On Nlundulu - I do think its a strange signing. And its one I assume is being made with a view in the summer of making it permanent because Evatt really rates the lad. (Or Markham does).

Because as a short term loan to propel us towards the play offs (and beyond because obvs winning the play offs has to be the aim) it doesn't really make a lot of sense. Young target man with pace is good. But a bit raw. Not banging goals in yet and learning his trade doesn't really sound like a player who significantly improves on what we have. Might be a Baka upgrade but if Baka is sticking round then.....I don't see him improving on Bodvarrsson who lets face it were he a 25 goal a season man wouldn't be in league one (the only part of his game that is suspect is his ability to score a bagful).

Not that I'd write him off or oppose the deal. Strikers are hard to get. And perhaps Big Dan is on the cusp of exploding. He certainly has time on his side and what I know of him he has the attributes you'd want. I doubt frankly there is a striking solution in January that is a massive upgrade on the options we have now in terms of goals and return that we can afford or attract.

I hope though that we bring in at least one more attacking sort - ideally a number 10 with the potential of more goals in them or more assists at least. We'd then have a plethora of strikers to feed and you'd hope something would eventually work more consistently.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:39 am
On Nlundulu - I do think its a strange signing. And its one I assume is being made with a view in the summer of making it permanent because Evatt really rates the lad. (Or Markham does).

Because as a short term loan to propel us towards the play offs (and beyond because obvs winning the play offs has to be the aim) it doesn't really make a lot of sense. Young target man with pace is good. But a bit raw. Not banging goals in yet and learning his trade doesn't really sound like a player who significantly improves on what we have. Might be a Baka upgrade but if Baka is sticking round then.....I don't see him improving on Bodvarrsson who lets face it were he a 25 goal a season man wouldn't be in league one (the only part of his game that is suspect is his ability to score a bagful).

Not that I'd write him off or oppose the deal. Strikers are hard to get. And perhaps Big Dan is on the cusp of exploding. He certainly has time on his side and what I know of him he has the attributes you'd want. I doubt frankly there is a striking solution in January that is a massive upgrade on the options we have now in terms of goals and return that we can afford or attract.

I hope though that we bring in at least one more attacking sort - ideally a number 10 with the potential of more goals in them or more assists at least. We'd then have a plethora of strikers to feed and you'd hope something would eventually work more consistently.
Does seem a bit of a strange one, unless someone thinks we can make a return on him somewhere down the line. I'm not too worried if he doesn't score them himself, but creates unmissables :-) for our other strikers or shedloads of space for our new 10 to run into ;-) It doesn't sound like he's currently the 25 goal a season bod you're after...Then again, Rotherham scored 4 less than us last season...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:14 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

We're not going to become Barcelona overnight, ever. At the risk of pessimism, should we attain promotion, not going back down is the realism over the pipe-dream. What we once achieved was done in a more prosperous age with a lot less millionaire players and grasping agents and the cost of living generally manageable . It isn't so today, as the once prosperous clubs who went to the wall will attain. Right now we're doing fine and if we manage a top six, well, hope springs eternal, and that's from a lifetime member of the rose-tinted glasses society. The days of wine and roses have become half-of-mild and a dandelion or, in the extremity, put the kettle on. :kettle:

Come on you whites...
:oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:38 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:10 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Does seem a bit of a strange one, unless someone thinks we can make a return on him somewhere down the line. I'm not too worried if he doesn't score them himself, but creates unmissables :-) for our other strikers or shedloads of space for our new 10 to run into ;-) It doesn't sound like he's currently the 25 goal a season bod you're after...Then again, Rotherham scored 4 less than us last season...
Yeah and again the logic of a big lad who can make it stick but also has pace over the top works for me as we are starting to look like a team who will never be long ball but can and will go direct more often. Its just dependent on how ready he is to either create or score a few.

There are for me two types who would instantly improve us - either a Michael Ricketts sort or a Gudjohnsen sort. One who scores everything another who can create those chances either for themselves or others in the final third. As Ghost says its quality basically in and around the box. Quality to create and find space (by beating a man etc) or to take chances others don't.

Both of those types are what everyone else wants and tend to cost money unless you can find one on the cusp of exploding into life.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:12 am

Well, I'm gutted we didn't win that. Did enough to win it twice over. Profligate in front of goal again.

Williams had an ok start at LB. Looked a little 'safe' sometimes, but pretty pleased that he got a decent amount of minutes. Beck played very well when he came on and really caused them problems down the left.

Bod, Bradley, Johnston and Kachunga all guilty of missing gilt-edged chances :-(

But, if that's the standard, then it's looking good for another good run!!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:13 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:55 am

This doesn't fill me with optimism. I hope I'm proven completely wrong and you'll all laugh at this post in a few months' time.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:36 am

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:12 am
Beck played very well when he came on and really caused them problems down the left.
I was thrilled with and for Beck. There's a lot in how a player reacts to challenges. He came on and gave Evatt a reason to pick him. Positive attacking play and excellent work rate.

He could easily have seen Williams being brought straight in as a slight and sulked. Not a bit of it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:41 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:36 am
boltonboris wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:12 am
Beck played very well when he came on and really caused them problems down the left.
I was thrilled with and for Beck. There's a lot in how a player reacts to challenges. He came on and gave Evatt a reason to pick him. Positive attacking play and excellent work rate.

He could easily have seen Williams being brought straight in as a slight and sulked. Not a bit of it.
Certainly the right attitude and an excellent cameo. That said, had he done the "slight and sulked" bit, I'd have carted him off down the A580 myself on the grounds he didn't have the right attitude. Not enough tail to wag the dog at the moment :-)

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:17 pm

We keep referring to that 25 goal striker that we need which makes our other striker signings in L1 underwhelming. Please enlighten me as to who they are and their value.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:30 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:17 pm
We keep referring to that 25 goal striker that we need which makes our other striker signings in L1 underwhelming. Please enlighten me as to who they are and their value.
There are 5 players this season in double figures already who would seem to have a decent shout of getting somewhere north of 20:

Colby Bishop - undisclosed fee from Accrington so you'd expect roughly what we paid for Charles

Conor Chaplin - ~£750k

Victor Adebayejo - free

Sam Nombe - undisclosed from MK Dons to newly promoted Exeter after a number of underwhelming loans. Can't have been much.

Jonson Clarke-Harris - undisclosed but unwanted at Coventry so again you'd guess in the low hundreds of Ks

Aaron Collins - free

Obviously they'd all cost more than that now, but that's the sort of player you're looking for (and who presumably we hoped we were getting with Charles). They exist, but there are obviously no guarantees. With the chances we create though it's not a fanciful pipe dream to hope we might be able to identify one. Hopefully it's the new lad.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:31 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Aaron Collins looks likely - £600k according to Transfermkt! :D :mrgreen:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:35 pm

He looked a good player at Forest Green. Versatile too. No doubt we could make a wing back out of him!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:37 pm

Alas...
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:51 pm
My pick of the lesser lights would be Aaron Collins. Played with Tutte at Morcambe and with Sheehan at Newport, another Welshman, good finisher, tall (again, another I feel the internet has wrong on height), creative and technically sound. Can play in midfield or anywhere across the front three. Doesn't have the raw pace or physicality I would like, but would add cutting edge.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:31 pm
irie Cee Bee wrote:
' manager Barton valued him at £5 million for the upcoming January transfer window'. Really, Joey?! :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:07 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:31 pm
irie Cee Bee wrote:
' manager Barton valued him at £5 million for the upcoming January transfer window'. Really, Joey?! :D
In fairness, we managed to unload Big Gaz for £6m... :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:26 pm

In fairness, we managed to unload Big Gaz for £6m... :-)
True, but then we're not managed by a desperate Colin Wanker! :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:49 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:51 pm
[quote= Yours might be fun...
LOL, 'use the source Luke...'
[/quote]
jimmc.png
jimmc.png (24.16 KiB) Viewed 541 times
jimmc1.png
jimmc1.png (26.39 KiB) Viewed 541 times
jimmc2.png
jimmc2.png (25.72 KiB) Viewed 540 times