A Drake but no ducks. Home v Plymouth Sat 7 Jan 15-00.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A Drake but no ducks. Home v Plymouth Sat 7 Jan 15-00.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:07 pm

In fairness to Morley I think he’d look excellent if he didn’t have to take set pieces and frankly if we had a better player than Dempsey in there offering more going forwards…and potentially a better number ten.

He’s having to do a lot Aaron. But has definitely stepped up his game off the ball massively.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:07 pm
In fairness to Morley I think he’d look excellent if he didn’t have to take set pieces and frankly if we had a better player than Dempsey in there offering more going forwards…and potentially a better number ten.

He’s having to do a lot Aaron. But has definitely stepped up his game off the ball massively.
Aye, it's nearly might be at the moment...fine margins, but on the "more to come" bit, they did that today, nearly. All they have to do is keep doing it for the next 20 games

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:10 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:03 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:46 pm
Meant to remove the attach, but seeing as I didn't, it's the map of Morley's touches...the definition of all over the pitch...
He’s been noticeably better the past couple of months in terms of work rate and defensive contribution compared to last season and the start of this season. All credit to him.
Certainly. Also to the coaching staff who have recognised his strengths (hence buying him) and worked on his weaknesses. Same could also be said of Georges Thomason and Johnston. We are improving players, and that's a great sign.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I thought Dempsey was really good again today. What was it you didn’t like?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:28 pm

There was nothing wrong with today other than the finishing. Dempsey can't be motm every week and was fine today.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:12 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Hmm. I think he’s busy. But he doesn’t offer very much. Lacks football intelligence. Wastes a lot of good possession round the box. He’s not dominant enough either for me. I mean he didn’t play badly. It’s just an area I think we need more in. Again in fairness to him I think he’s a victim of Lee in the number 10 role because as well as Lee plays that role he’s never going to be prolific or create a bagful of chances directly. So it puts the pressure on the others in midfield to do that and I think that’s an issue.

In a tight game like that we don’t really have a lot of attacking threat in midfield. Rarely will we get a goal from that area 25 yards out of a player who can just switch a gear and go past someone before slipping a ball into someone in the box.

Neither can we steamroller teams with power in there.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:10 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:03 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:46 pm
Meant to remove the attach, but seeing as I didn't, it's the map of Morley's touches...the definition of all over the pitch...
He’s been noticeably better the past couple of months in terms of work rate and defensive contribution compared to last season and the start of this season. All credit to him.
Certainly. Also to the coaching staff who have recognised his strengths (hence buying him) and worked on his weaknesses. Same could also be said of Georges Thomason and Johnston. We are improving players, and that's a great sign.
Exactly, it’s great to be signing players ‘on the way up’ - a very refreshing change from the 2010-2020 recruitment strategy of signing players very much on the way down.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:55 pm

That was good. As we said before the game, someone who can stick it in the onion bag radically changes this side.

The midfield was the very definition of an engine room and the defence was solid (in large part because of that midfield). My view before the match was that if we won the battle in the middle we'd win the game and I came away feeling hard done by with a draw.

Morley was talented when he arrived. He now looks like he's genuinely good. He's 22.
Dempsey looks like a very good player who needs a run of games to sharpen things up.

I think we still need another option in midfield, of the type we've discussed, but today we were so energetic in there.

Again, up front, the energy has to remain - we just have to be more clinical. Obvious to say, but a Scott Twine of last season in this side and we're flying.

I don't agree about the current defending showing up Santos, but I'm delighted to see how well the back three did. That defensive solidity is a result of everything improving in terms of shape and timing in front of them, not just the defensive personnel; but what those three are showing is that they are all good players at this level. At the minute none of them should be making way.

The question now is how we maintain everything good about that performance whilst improving our goal return. You'd hope Nlundulu would be licking his lips at the idea of playing for us after Cheltenham, but if you were a casual observer you'd look at our numbers and just easily say, "Oh, yeah, no goals or creativity from midfield. That's why they're not further up."

As in the summer, that's crying out for a proper, productive '10'.

That game reinforced my optimism generally, though. I said in the transfers thread that I was surprised people seemed pessimistic and I feel like that match should cheer folk a little. We are not miles off this season and if we don't go up we're only a decent summer off being one of the top sides.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:11 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:12 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Hmm. I think he’s busy. But he doesn’t offer very much. Lacks football intelligence. Wastes a lot of good possession round the box. He’s not dominant enough either for me. I mean he didn’t play badly. It’s just an area I think we need more in. Again in fairness to him I think he’s a victim of Lee in the number 10 role because as well as Lee plays that role he’s never going to be prolific or create a bagful of chances directly. So it puts the pressure on the others in midfield to do that and I think that’s an issue.

In a tight game like that we don’t really have a lot of attacking threat in midfield. Rarely will we get a goal from that area 25 yards out of a player who can just switch a gear and go past someone before slipping a ball into someone in the box.

Neither can we steamroller teams with power in there.
I'm all happy if we can a) sign better and b) find the player or the £4-5m for the 25+ goal a season guy. Are u up for half that, Insano?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:58 am

Having watched the game back, some more informed opinions (most of which are just reinforced existing ones)...

I don't want to send Beck back to Liverpool.

I like the look of Williams. He's far from perfect, but he offers a lot - especially that pace in the left forward space to stretch teams. Evatt spoke about matching Bradley up down the right, but the most important part might be matching Charles' runs in behind. IF Nlundulu comes in and does what I anticipate he may then the fact we can have multiple runners (both flanks and through the middle) stretching teams in behind will make us vastly more dangerous.

That ties in with an excellent bit of management from Evatt, who has tasked Morley with playing that Jorginho sort of role and taking all the pressure off Aimson in terms of what he can't do as a deep pivot. Allowing Aimson to just be a good defender has been really important and if Morley can hit more than one runner (he's only had Charles) then that may become even more vital. If Santos comes back in at some stage he will be afforded more options as he resumes that deep pivot role.

Dad Bod is an exceptionally hard-working and likeable player...upon whom we must improve. Again, I hope Nlundulu is that player - but regardless, for the many, many positives of Dad Bod he's the principle point at which attacks break down. That would likely change with a more dynamic '10', but as things stand he's the one you could see Nlundulu displacing. Neither Baka nor Kachunga are the answer to that issue, so it has to be one of the new guys.

Lee has got to be replaced in one of the next two windows. That's not to say shipped out, but as we transition into more and more dynamic, aggressive football he's increasingly problematic. He has the best brain and most quality of any of the options in there right now, but not the legs to play the role to its full and not enough consistency of touch now to make up for it. At 35 in the summer, this is the time to figure out that transition. Same as with Dad Bod, he offers loads - just maybe not enough. Currently in my first 11, but we need better to kick on.

Aimson is showing why he feels he should be starting more games and was considering leaving this month. As such, the fact he is playing as well as he is probably means he needs replacing - as perverse as that sounds. If Evatt expects Santos to stay past the summer I think we all know he will remain the long term plan in the middle. Aimson will feel he has justified viewing himself as too good for the bench, so that will likely boil down to an exit - hopefully in the summer and not now.

Dempsey needs to stay fit. If he can, he is the answer. If he can't, we need someone in to play a similar role - possibly with more physicality.

Sheehan will find it very hard to establish himself now. As with Lee, the play is now much more frantic than it was previously and his game requires time on the ball to pick players out. He could do Morley's job, but not as well as Morley due to Aaron's superior athleticism. I don't think he can now play the '10' role for us in the long term, so he becomes and understudy and likely won't fancy that. I rate him and I'd like to see him adapt, but it's a big ask - especially after such a serious injury.

I'm generally really happy. We need more of that magic "quality" stuff in the final third, but otherwise we're close to being really good. Organised, sharp and aggressive. The manager has to take a lot of credit, as does Markham for transitioning the squad towards this more athletic model.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:55 am

I thought Bodvarrson was very good yesterday. Should have scored. But overall I thought he had an excellent game. Im not sure that Nlundulu is going to do better in that role but if he can great. Attacks break down off Charles way more in general. Interested to see what Big Dan offers. He has pace I’m told which I think helps.

As for Santos - when he can defend as well as Aimson he can come back in. He has to learn that positional ability and defensive concentration Aimson has and the muck and nettles stuff. As it stands I am completely sure he’s massively overrated. And it stands out now. Evatt has blind spots but not ones this large. Santos can recover and learn that side of the game. As a massive unit I’d be can then great. But if not we have the better players playing. Aimson was hitting those 60 yard cross fields just as well as Santos does. And wasn’t taking half an hour to do it either.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:08 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:55 am
I thought Bodvarrson was very good yesterday.
He was excellent at what he does well. Superb hustle and bustle, held the ball up well at times, made space, etc. I love the guy. Everyone played well yesterday, in the context of who they are and what they are capable of offering.

However, he also had the best positions in the final third and created nothing from them. That's why he's in League One.

As I say, if we can add a 10 who can get around the pitch then Dad Bod won't have to take up as many of those positions and can just do what he does well - as well as having simpler options when he does end up there, because Lee doesn't get there to support enough. If we're not getting that 10 in then, as is true for me after too much Christmas dinner, we need to upgrade the Bod...

By the summer we probably need to do both.

Regarding Charles, I'm open to upgrading him too - just as I am to basically any other player in a League One squad. However, he's scoring goals. Not enough, but he's scoring.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:35 am

I'm a big fan of Dion Charles. His work rate is phenomenal and he must be a nightmare to play against. Again, yesterday, he was harrying and chasing, running into good positions but again, we couldn't play him in or create an opening for him. Was the Dad Bod miss the only clear opening we made for the front two yesterday?

I'm seeing a lot of comments on social media about us getting a 20+ goal striker but at present and as well documented in the previous posts, we're not creating the shape or enough openings for this to happen. I'm sure we'll get there though.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:36 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:08 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
He was excellent at what he does well. Superb hustle and bustle, held the ball up well at times, made space, etc. I love the guy. Everyone played well yesterday, in the context of who they are and what they are capable of offering.

However, he also had the best positions in the final third and created nothing from them. That's why he's in League One.

As I say, if we can add a 10 who can get around the pitch then Dad Bod won't have to take up as many of those positions and can just do what he does well - as well as having simpler options when he does end up there, because Lee doesn't get there to support enough. If we're not getting that 10 in then, as is true for me after too much Christmas dinner, we need to upgrade the Bod...

Regarding Charles, I'm open to upgrading him too - just as I am to basically any other player in a League One squad. However, he's scoring goals. Not enough, but he's scoring.
I think we are in broad agreement.

What I would say is Dad Bod has a better goals per minute played record than Charles does this season. Charles scoring more goals because he’s picked more.

I’d say that Dad Bod is good enough at what he does and I’m unconvinced we are getting a massive upgrade. An upgrade on Charles is the obvious area we could improve most but as Worthy says I doubt we have the money to really do it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:43 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:35 am
I'm a big fan of Dion Charles. His work rate is phenomenal and he must be a nightmare to play against. Again, yesterday, he was harrying and chasing, running into good positions but again, we couldn't play him in or create an opening for him. Was the Dad Bod miss the only clear opening we made for the front two yesterday?

I'm seeing a lot of comments on social media about us getting a 20+ goal striker but at present and as well documented in the previous posts, we're not creating the shape or enough openings for this to happen. I'm sure we'll get there though.
Kachunga had a great chance too.

I thought a number of times Charles was guilty of a poor final ball or failing to get the shot away quickly enough.

I agree about chance creation although don’t the stats show we are one of the top chance creation teams.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:03 am

Aye, apologies, I was thinking of chances for the starting front 2. Kachunga, who did very well when he came on, was desperately unlucky with his effort. It was an outstanding save by that arsehole of a keeper they had.

On 2nd viewing that chance of Bradley's, off the superb ball from Aimson, was a lot better than I had first realised.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:06 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:03 am
Aye, apologies, I was thinking of chances for the starting front 2. Kachunga, who did very well when he came on, was desperately unlucky with his effort. It was an outstanding save by that arsehole of a keeper they had.

On 2nd viewing that chance of Bradley's, off the superb ball from Aimson, was a lot better than I had first realised.
Yeah. Bradley is really struggling in the final third. His pace gets him into great positions but he lacks the ability to make the most of them.

It is our big problem for me. Lee is absolutely brilliant but not great final third. Bradley is superb until the final third. Dempsey is busy but round the box is bang average. Morley is the same.

It’s that chance creation we suffer from. It’s a problem of too many who are just outstanding but unlikely to score or assist on a regular basis.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:29 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:36 am
What I would say is Dad Bod has a better goals per minute played record than Charles does this season.
Very true. Dad Bod has been hampered by his injury, but is very capable at this level. For me, however, it's about that team jigsaw. If we're not upgrading the 10 then, of the two other strikers, I think it's Dad Bod.

Regardless, we will need Dad Bod all season. He's hugely important to us and Nlundulu is very inexperienced for a player who is nearly 24. He is raw and needs plenty of coaching. Bodvarsson is a known quantity and we can trust him.

There's also the "cat amongst the pigeons" aspect of it. Maybe Bod decides he's not being dropped for some U23s reject when he's played major international football and starts banging them in and setting them up. In which case, fantastic.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:45 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:06 am
Yeah. Bradley is really struggling in the final third. His pace gets him into great positions but he lacks the ability to make the most of them.

It is our big problem for me. Lee is absolutely brilliant but not great final third. Bradley is superb until the final third. Dempsey is busy but round the box is bang average. Morley is the same.

It’s that chance creation we suffer from. It’s a problem of too many who are just outstanding but unlikely to score or assist on a regular basis.
I wrote a whole reply to this, but at the end of the day it's just one thing...quality.

We have players who are relatively good at stuff for the level we're at. Bradley is much better than most right backs in this division in the final third. Dempsey and Morley are better than most 8s.

This is why we're in the play-off positions.

To be at the very top you need lads who are just really good. For us that was meant to be Dapo, but he's not at it for various reasons.

You can cover for a lack of genuine, "how does he do that?" quality up to a point, but we just need at least one really good player in the final third. Not relatively good for League One, but genuinely good.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:29 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:08 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Aye. Agree with the bit where you could make a case to upgrade pretty much anyone in a L1 team, it's in part why they're not all in the Prem. The other large imponderable for me is consistency. Just because I once hit the worlds highest three dart score, doesn't make me world champ.

But I'd also say, yesterday for me was probably the best I've seen us play this season and it's come off the back of a decent performance and result at Barnsley, so on that evidence we have less that's urgent, but Oct/Nov/Dec the performances weren't generally at that level and had we been discussing priorities after a dull away defeat in Oct, I think we'd be discussing a much longer list :-) Which sort of brings us to Morley and Dempsey, yesterday they looked good enough but they don't always hit that level and are occasionally well short of that mark.

So priority for me given we've got a LWB and Forward in (nearly), is that 10 and some consistency.