So good they want to play us twice...Home to Portsmouth, Football League Cup Tues 10th Jan 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

So good they want to play us twice...Home to Portsmouth, Football League Cup Tues 10th Jan 7-45.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:20 pm

Only two days away, (then Saturday again at Home ,but we'll come to that). Meanwhile, in the "Up fert Cup" we should manage a starter win if things go to plan (they rarely do) but will our new deadly duo come up with the goods and deliver a broadside in the navel to Pompey. Man the guns and take aim.... :Jedi:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: So good they want to play us twice...Home to Portsmouth, Football League Cup Tues 10th Jan 7-45.

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:31 pm

Possible team line-up could be;

GK - Trafford
LWB - Beck
CB - Johnstone, Santos, Jones
RWB - Sadlier
CM - MJ, Sheehan
AM - Dapo
FWD - Kachunga, Charles

Subs - Dixon, Randall, Nlundulu, Dad Bod, Dempsey, Bradley, Lee or a bench full of kids + new signings.

I think Evatt will rotate some but he'll want to win it hence why I don't think too many youngsters/B teamers will make the bench.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: So good they want to play us twice...Home to Portsmouth, Football League Cup Tues 10th Jan 7-45.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:48 pm

Is Dapo suspended for this game or the Pompey league one? Anyways, if we go with Sonic's XI - sensible, IMO - that's 8 outfield changes. I would worry slightly about the MJ-Sheehan central midfield but I guess they do complement each other quite well.

I wonder whether Nlundulu will go straight in, though. He's match-fit. Then the question is does Evatt rest Charles to the bench, or try him with Nlundulu?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:23 pm

I think there's a possibility that Randy Starts get some match sharpness...and another chance to try and pop one in...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:23 pm
I think there's a possibility that Randy Starts get some match sharpness...and another chance to try and pop one in...
Guess that's up the sports-science lads, who will be told that Evatt wants him to start in the league game. If he does start, it could be on the right. Which would free Sadlier up for 10...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:33 pm

Is johnston more due a rest than say Toal?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:41 pm

I toyed with the idea of Randy on the right and Sadlier playing 10 with Dapo up front. To be honest I went with Sads at RWB to better exploit his delivery. I agree that Johnstone could do with a rest but who do we have that could play on the left of a three?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:45 pm

Might not be a bad idea to try Toal at LCB, in case we do need cover there... but again the sports-science lads will tell Evatt whether Johnston or Toal is more due a rest. Could also try Toal RCB and Geth LCB in a (relatively) low-pressure match - although Wembley calls...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:45 pm
Might not be a bad idea to try Toal at LCB, in case we do need cover there... but again the sports-science lads will tell Evatt whether Johnston or Toal is more due a rest. Could also try Toal RCB and Geth LCB in a (relatively) low-pressure match - although Wembley calls...
Aye, there was mention of "two games away from Wembley" by Morley in his post match...wouldn't be entirely surprised to see a strong team out...

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:31 pm

Yup. I expect Evatt to name his strongest team barring injury niggles.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:35 pm

Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:48 pm
Is Dapo suspended for this game or the Pompey league one? Anyways, if we go with Sonic's XI - sensible, IMO - that's 8 outfield changes. I would worry slightly about the MJ-Sheehan central midfield but I guess they do complement each other quite well.

I wonder whether Nlundulu will go straight in, though. He's match-fit. Then the question is does Evatt rest Charles to the bench, or try him with Nlundulu?
Can he play if he’s already featured for Cheltenham?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:35 pm

I spotted that too. I suspect he'll be ineligible and we'll have to pick someone else. I would imagine that Bakayoko is still available and judging by the words flying around regarding us wanting to not necessarily get rid of him, we'll likely see him getting a starting berth in the match.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:01 pm

The team sonic has outlined is what I’d go with. Want to win this. But we need to keep plenty fresh for the Saturday too. We know Allardyce’s old thing about needing to change 5 or 6 minimum in these three match weeks. That starting 11 should be good enough. I think a few like Bradley really do need rests.

Williams might need minutes but I’d rather he has a week of training to bed in and be ready for Saturday. And Beck’s lively cameo makes him worthy of a start for me.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:35 pm
I wonder whether Nlundulu will go straight in, though.
Good point. He can’t, because he did.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:16 pm

Since it's 250 miles from the Unibol, might I be right in thinking the Pompey squad wold stay local rather than make the journey twice in five days? I might b entirely wrong, but the travelling would hardly help matters.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:36 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:16 pm
Since it's 250 miles from the Unibol, might I be right in thinking the Pompey squad wold stay local rather than make the journey twice in five days? I might b entirely wrong, but the travelling would hardly help matters.
You going to get their bell and start ringing it outside the hotel at 3 in the morning?

:lol:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:14 am

Evatt will want to go to Wembley and he knows he's up against it for the autos, but on track for the play-offs.

On that basis, I'd suggest we might see a strong side.

What a "strong side" means when your captain, vice captain and supposed "star man" didn't feature last time is anyone's guess.

I don't think we'll risk Williams so soon after cramping up, but I've been wrong about these things many times (and we've seen injuries result sometimes too). I should probably phrase it as "I wouldn't risk him."

I'm in active discussion with the wife as to whether my eldest (10) can go to the game, given it's a school night. I think I may be winning, so hopefully it's a banger.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:25 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:14 am

I'm in active discussion with the wife as to whether my eldest (10) can go to the game, given it's a school night. I think I may be winning, so hopefully it's a banger.
Hang in there Ghost junior, you can read a copy of Pythagoras theorums in the car.....! :oyea:

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:27 am

Do we have any indication as to how seriously Pompey are likely to take this one? Obviously that has quite a big bearing on how difficult a match we'll have tomorrow, and how much we could get away with rotation.

I would be inclined to put out a lineup somewhat similar to what Sonic posted, but maybe with Morley and Charles in for Kachunga and Sheehan if they're fit.

From a brief bit of research it seems as though Dapo will be suspended for the league match vs Portsmouth rather than the game tomorrow, so it would be fairly safe to assume he starts.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:19 pm

They're still managerless, although the new boss (latest rumour - Grant McCann while he waits for Posh to sack Fergie Jr again) may be in place by the weekend.