Time Cheltenham men please....At HomeV,Cheltenham at the completely Bolton Stadium Sat 4th feb 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Time Cheltenham men please....At HomeV,Cheltenham at the completely Bolton Stadium Sat 4th feb 3-0'clock.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:02 pm

96th-minute Burton winner means Morecambe in the drop zone

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Time Cheltenham men please....At HomeV,Cheltenham at the completely Bolton Stadium Sat 4th feb 3-0'clock.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:08 pm

FT Sheff W 1-0 Plymouth
FT Cambridge 1-1 Ipswich
FT Derby 5-0 Morecambe
FT Bolton 1-0 Cheltenham
FT Pompey 1-1 Barnsley
FT FGR 0-2 Posh
FT Vale 0-3 Wycombe
FT Oxford 0-1 Shrews
table3.jpg
table3.jpg (30.77 KiB) Viewed 969 times

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:11 pm

Three successive single-goal wins....

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:12 pm

I think we're finally safe from relegation now :D

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:13 pm

Interestingly Ipswich have Sheffield Wed next Saturday and Derby at Wycombe .
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:14 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:11 pm
Did we not win 1-2 last week, ahh I read that as 1 0 wins. As you were
Last edited by knobpolisher on Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:15 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:14 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:11 pm
Did we not win 1-2 last week
Single-goal margin :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:12 pm

It’s another huge win. Ground out. But we were far from good today.

My fears about Shoretire were entirely reflected today. Miles off a number ten for us right now. Might be a second striker or a wide man but you can’t expect this kid to do Lees job. He’s got so much to learn before we ask him to do that. And a lot of that is workrate and football intelligence. It takes time.

Adeboyejo was pretty poor. I’m pretty disappointed in how little impact he had. Looked a bit lost.

John was dreadful. It’s all been said. He just looked like he was struggling.

Morley and Dempsey held it together and frankly we looked a much better side when Lee was on.

Bradley and Charles absolutely worked their socks off.

Bradley missing next two is huge blow in midst of injury crisis. A bit unnecessary really.

Back three were very good. Santos still slows the play down way too much at times. Really needs to speed it up in these games.

Jerome was great when he came on and I think looked a class above Ade.

A great three points and that’s all that matters.

Next week we do look in trouble though.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:24 pm

Good God. No wonder only 300 of them made the trip. Cheltenham have to be the most negative side I've seen since...... I honestly can't remember who/when.
That aside, we were once again utterly appalling in the final third, and Morley's corner kicks were a pure embarrassment. He should be ashamed of himself.
A good three points masks how woefully short we are of both Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:27 pm

Someone needs to ban that awful near post corner, just fine them for it. Utterly useless.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:31 pm

Worth noting the mighty and vastly superior Derby County put in a very similar performance to that against Cambridge Utd at home a while back, failed to beat Burton, got away with one against Port Vale etc.

Winning when you don't show up is the difference and we're doing that now because we can keep clean sheets.

The difference between us and Derby isn't that great at the moment. They're better than us, but it's not a vast chasm.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:27 pm
Someone needs to ban that awful near post corner, just fine them for it. Utterly useless.
No. Someone needs to sort the players out, because it was on every time.

There was one in the first half where it was wide open and Shoretire missed his mark. Jones was clear at the near post twice, but the ball was too low once and just awful the other time.

That's about detail, but the instruction was spot on.

You can set up as well as you like, but if the players feck it up there's nothing doing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:41 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:33 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:27 pm
No. Someone needs to sort the players out, because it was on every time.

There was one in the first half where it was wide open and Shoretire missed his mark. Jones was clear at the near post twice, but the ball was too low once and just awful the other time.

That's about detail, but the instruction was spot on.

You can set up as well as you like, but if the players feck it up there's nothing doing.
Oh please. We’ve spent all season trying it - it’s absolutely pathetically useless.

Put the ball into the area between penalty spot and 6 yard box with some quality and you have a chance. These corner routines are absolutely ridiculous. We can’t do them.

Cheltenham showed the way to take corners. Make a team defend. Do it enough and there is a chance something will come off. But adding in complexity simply reduces the percentages. Each interaction reduces the chance you are going to score. Make it simple.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:46 pm

I couldn't give a blessed feck as to how anyone other than us goes about anything.

We are truly clueless in the final third

We are truly clueless when it comes to taking a corner.

We are truly clueless at set pieces.
May the bridges I burn light your way

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:48 pm

F*ck me. We did win today, didn't we? Looked like we did to me, but seeing the posts on here, I must have been mistaken!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:41 pm
with some quality
Therein lies the issue. The ball in would always have had quality if they'd just done the other thing...but it doesn't actually work like that.

If you take a bad corner it doesn't really make a difference whether you knock it 3 feet too low to the near or 10 yards too long at the centre.

Our delivery isn't good enough.

Near post corners are high percentage plays against certain teams. Cheltenham are one of them.

The issue was the quality of delivery.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:51 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:48 pm
F*ck me. We did win today, didn't we? Looked like we did to me, but seeing the posts on here, I must have been mistaken!
The generally tone has been negative all term. Not sure why. We're having a very good season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:52 pm

Anyway 7 more wins and a draw probably will be enough. Maybe just 7 will do.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:59 pm

We struggled a bit to day but Dempsey quality did it for us. It will take a while as expected for our new players to settle in. Ade with his runs and Shoretire learning to play with Charles and vice versa. I saw at least 2 occasions when Shoretire with a quick pass to Charles darted into the 18 yard area expecting to receive it back one-time to look the keeper in the eyes, but Charles instinctively tried to turn the defender instead of giving back one touch, much to the annoyance of Shoretire. They will learn to play together in time. I see that working more with them up front together. Based on just what I saw, Lee is a much superior #10 than Shoretire at the moment who will have to learn to play the position. He seemed to be closely watched today by Cheltenham, and has superior close control skills when surrounded, but doesn't have the all action ability of Lee to defend and make the forward runs from midfield. Evatt has some work to do. Important 3 points.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:35 pm

Not concerned about either Shoretire or Ade.

Having experienced, quality players to bring off the bench was great.

It's primarily the job of Bradley, John and Morley to get quality into the forwards. Cheltenham did a good job closing down lanes and none of them could get anything going. When Ade dropped to get the ball to feet he was set on by 4-5 opposition players.

I thought both Shoretire and Ade looked like having bright ideas at times, but as Irie says it's 2 of 3 in that triangle being new that causes some of those breakdowns - along with Charles' first touch being the weakest part of his game. Once they figure each other out it'll be alright.

You'd expect two experienced players coming against tired legs to be effective and they were. I daresay if those two had started we'd be talking about the impact of Vik and Shola off the bench.

Ultimately, none of them actually managed to do anything amazing and it took a wonderful strike to get us the win.