Wycombe in peace, Wycombe (A) 3pm 18/02/23

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Wycombe in peace, Wycombe (A) 3pm 18/02/23

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:42 pm

It's a point that's been made repeatedly but we really should make a greater effort to shoot at goal from further out when up against a low block.

And on the subject of delivery, if we're smart about it Williams' long-throw could be a real asset for us.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:11 pm
Oh yep we need a balance. It’s just this system puts pressure on wing backs to have that delivery. Bradley will get better there. John isn’t bad. I’d say games like yesterday show the difference that real quality delivery from a variety of areas and positions out wide would make. We can’t always get round the back and both John and Bradley prefer that. Sometimes you need to engineer the space and whip a cross in round the defender and that’s something we definitely struggle with. It’s part system. Few wing backs at our level can do everything.
We need a mid and wide centre backs who can offer that quality, if we are going for dribblers out wide. Complete players in those wide areas are highly unlikely at any level.

We tried with Devine in midfield, but ultimately we needed Mbete more. Jones offers a decent ball in as a wide centre back, but Toal is better defensively.

Johnston is improving in his delivery and you could maybe look to Iredale next year for that.

We need more options coming in in the summer. I'm sure we'll get them. It'll be a case of picking which options are right for which games, rather than everyone being able to do everything, you'd imagine.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:45 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:42 pm
It's a point that's been made repeatedly but we really should make a greater effort to shoot at goal from further out when up against a low block.
We took 6 shots from outside the box against Wycombe.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:11 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:24 am
It’s not like I’ve not been saying that for months now is it? Bradley has a major weakness there. John has decent delivery of a sort. Jones has better than Bradley.

That’s hurt us all season. Bradley is our best outlet but his delivery and final ball is non league.
There's more than one way to crack an egg, Insane.

Bradley created chances yesterday, by running the ball into the box. We need that. We also need delivery from angles. Bradley doesn't have to do it all himself.

Evatt has intentionally added more dribblers to the squad to try and get the ball into the box so it can then be played in.

We also made a move for Devine, because he has that delivery in him.
Oh yep we need a balance. It’s just this system puts pressure on wing backs to have that delivery. Bradley will get better there. John isn’t bad. I’d say games like yesterday show the difference that real quality delivery from a variety of areas and positions out wide would make. We can’t always get round the back and both John and Bradley prefer that. Sometimes you need to engineer the space and whip a cross in round the defender and that’s something we definitely struggle with. It’s part system. Few wing backs at our level can do everything.
I keep coming back to the two "on a plate" chances in the first 20 minutes. Should we really have scored one or both? Because with one they might stick with gameplan. Two and they really have a bit of a problem...I know you'd like to see in behind and cross, but I don't think they're trying to do that more often than not.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:09 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:45 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:42 pm
We took 6 shots from outside the box against Wycombe.

Perhaps we should try more?

Or get better at it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:55 pm
I keep coming back to the two "on a plate" chances in the first 20 minutes. Should we really have scored one or both? Because with one they might stick with gameplan. Two and they really have a bit of a problem...I know you'd like to see in behind and cross, but I don't think they're trying to do that more often than not.
We should have scored from open play and we should have had two penalties. One for the blatant shove on Jerome and one for their lad putting Santos in an armlock with one arm and trying to rip the shirt off his back with the other. Those two were stonewall in any division, but we didn't get them. They should also have had a man sent off and the fact he wasn't even booked is amazing to me. The lad Scowen is a scumbag generally, but that "tackle" was designed to injure Shola and he should have seen red for it. Was just a stamp to the knee.

We could have beaten them, but we didn't. If we want to consistently beat sides like that at this level, with the refs who refuse to give anyone anything at their ground, then we just need to be better. They have lads who play to injure players, who drag you down in the box, throw elbows, foul to break up your play, fake injury and they will get away with all of it. So you just have to focus on playing as well as you can.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:41 pm

Eoin looks ungainly but he's got a lovely whip on him tbf
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:54 pm

There be many a twist and turn in what's left this season.

Where we are is an improvement on last season. Keep improving and we're only heading one way.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:43 pm

Yeah the result was a shame but let’s be honest we are in a much better position than we may have expected. 5 teams fighting for four spaces. We just have to make sure we are in the four.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:03 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:54 pm
There be many a twist and turn in what's left this season.

Where we are is an improvement on last season. Keep improving and we're only heading one way.
Argh me hearties!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.